User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Bubber OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
XRL intermittent ignition issue

I have been lurking here for a while. Last winter I bought a '02 650L. Desmoged, desnorkled, daves mods/new jets, and clarke tank. Never an issue untill about 3 weeks ago. I have found where people have had a similar issue but mine is intermittent.

Ride for a while, 5-10 miles, thing gets good and warm, turn it off, and it won't start again. Let it cool for 20 min and it fires right up. I emphasize that, No cranking involved, just hit the button and it is running. I try to repeat the problem and it will start every time.

First time it happened I stopped at a quick mart to buy a gut bomb on my way to work. It was about 55 degrees out. Came out and it would crank just fine but no fire. Take the gas cap off, look in the tank, flip the kill switch on/off a couple times, Choke, no choke, half/full throttle, nothing. The Honda shop was about 2 blocks away. Push it over there, mechanic comes out hits the button and it starts. After looking at me like I was a dumbass I get on and go to work feeling like a real dumbass.

A week later I go for a ride about 10 miles from pavement(25 miles or so total ride, 80 degrees out. Stop at a place I am very fond of to take a leak and just breath it all in and reminisce. Damn thing wont start again. After screaming and cussing for a few minutes I sat down under a tree to let my blood pressure settle down. After a bit of intense staring I got up, got the tool kit out, pulled the plug. Good spark. Put the plug back in, started right up.

For the next week and a half I carried good tools and a heavy glove with me and tried to make it do it again. Started every time.

Last night I rode it over to my landlords to give them a check. About 5 mile ride, low 70s. Shut it off, talk to his wife for a bit, go out, no fire. Pull the side cover off, whack the cdi unit with my Gerber a couple times. No help. Before I could get my tools out he comes pulling in. We talk for a bit, mainly about how life and things like my present situation piss us off. Hit the button and it starts.

20 minutes is all the longer it takes to cool off enough, which really isn't enough time to take the tank and seat off and im not about to do that in a parking lot anyway. I haven't ruled out a carburetion issue but since it has done just fine until recently Im pretty sure its electrical. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? This is really annoying me. Im an electronic engineer who grew up working on wore out farm equipment. Ive never had an issue that was so intermittent I couldn't even begin diagnosing it.
Bubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
jjxlrider
Part time adult

Oddometer: 922
Hard hot starting is often a sign of rich idle/starting circuit. It may need a smaller pilot and/or the mixture screw turned in to lean it up. I'm not real familiar with the 650L ,but have the older versions and they always did that also till I got them jetted properly. It is worse on the hotter days .

'08 525XC , --> '06 LTR450. looking for '96 thru '05 DR650
jjxlrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I had a very similar issue with my L (The Hellbitch) and it turned out to be the two wire connector going into the ignition module doohicky in the airbox. I am so happy that I can't remember the proper name of that thing, it shows that I've finally moved on and living happily with my KTM. Anyway, I pushed the wires down into the connector with a little "authority" and never had that exact issue again. But there were more....many more..
Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Ignition Switch

Jiggle the ignition key find the sweet spot. That's my XL problem.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
There's two known issues with the XRL. Unless the battery box has been relocated, your CDI is under the LH side panel. Next time it wont start, give your CDI a good whack with something like a screwdriver handle.

If it starts, you've got bad solder joints on your CDI.

If not, the next possibility is corroded contacts on your kill switch button.

I'd bet it's your CDI - give that a try first.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,566
It's cheaper to clean the run/off button contacts than buy a new CDI. Try this first.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
the ignition module doohicky in the airbox. I am so happy that I can't remember the proper name of that thing,

Yeah - that's the CDI.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,566
My CDI is in the battery box. It has two connectors with a total of six wires.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Yeah - that's the CDI.
Geee thanks. Now I'll have nightmares tonight...
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #10
Bubber OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cry

Thanks everyone, I will clean the contacts on the kill switch first.

I doubt very much its a rich/ over jetting issue. If anything I think my pilot is still a bit small as it stumbles slightly coming off idle under a heavy hand. In addition I have rode the crap out of the thing commuting and it only happens when im running late to work or am in a position where it can embarrass me like at gas stations or other peoples houses. All other times it will start just fine.

One of my first thoughts was the CDI unit. I grew up with 80s honda beaters and one of those big red 3wheelers. Its not the first time one went out on me.
However I did beat on it this last time and without result. After reading the responses I will look harder at it.

Any other possible insights?
Bubber is offline   Reply With Quote