Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #5101
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post

Most people like to mount the tool tube low and in front of the engine to keep the weight of the tools low and forward on the bike.
I would have liked to have it lower, but there's not enough room on a Jr. behind the tire and my style of riding (crashing) would have it destroyed pretty quick if it did fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
I cannot tell from the pic, but where do you have the tube mounted? I have one, but cannot decide where to mount it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Where is it? Is it under his seat? I can't see it either....
Here ya go. The plate was on there when I bought the bike, but was about 3 times as big. I mounded the ammo can using the stock turn signal and helmet lock holes and some giant fender washers. The helmet lock got relocated to the ammo can, and with a little massaging, works perfect to lock the box and still will hold my lid. I hate carrying a bunch of keys, so this was the best option in my mind.

I cut the plastic brackets off the tool tube to shorten it up some and used two stainless band clamps to hold it. I drilled holes through the clamps and used flush allen head bolts with spacers between the clamp and the plate to give me some more tie down points.

I left the "Instruction Manual Enclosed" stickers on the tube as a security measure, I figure the low life people who would be looking to steal something will be too dumb to realize it's full of tools and not one of them worthless books.

I broke the paint in this weekend, photo credits to MeefZah.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread

Gonzo_Matt screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 06:28 AM
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #5102
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
18 to 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Good to know. Not much sugar sand around here, I'm just trying to prevent my tendency to face plant in every deep mud puddle, hence the plan for 18" front. As for the tits, real or fake they both taste the same to me
I guess I thought the 21 was for better offroad use to begin with...18 being what people go to when making a street tracker or motard...

Or is it girth, not length?
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #5103
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley/Hobbfather View Post
I guess I thought the 21 was for better offroad use to begin with...18 being what people go to when making a street tracker or motard...

Or is it girth, not length?
18" rear tire mounted on front loses less than 1/2" in diameter to standard 21" front so lose little in climbing/rollover ability, but gains significant "girth". I find in significant mud the narrow 21" front packs and slides too quickly on a heavy bike like the KLR with a not particularly compact rider such as myself (6'3", 230lb geared up). Also wants to skate easily in deep gravel. A larger contact patch and more aggressive tread pattern will hopefully self clean better and keep the front from washing out so easily.

And it's girth/length OR $$$, the latter more important than the former
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #5104
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
18" rear tire mounted on front loses less than 1/2" in diameter to standard 21" front so lose little in climbing/rollover ability, but gains significant "girth". I find in significant mud the narrow 21" front packs and slides too quickly on a heavy bike like the KLR with a not particularly compact rider such as myself (6'3", 230lb geared up). Also wants to skate easily in deep gravel. A larger contact patch and more aggressive tread pattern will hopefully self clean better and keep the front from washing out so easily.

And it's girth/length OR $$$, the latter more important than the former
Got it! Thanks...

As for the 'other' explanation... $ might be the only one most of us have any control over.. much.

...and then, not much
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #5105
C-Rad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech View Post
Just playing around with some alternate pannier designs...

are ya kidding. i just found this thread and been looking throught 200 plus pages of so cool pics. Ill admit I have not read every comment on the thread but yours jumped out> Ive seen just about every pannier DIY project on this site and others and holy shit you say your just playin around with alternate pannier designs? god blessed you drive a klr just say you spent some money on some panniers unless you really got some other "pannier" designs. lol i like the homeade shit better that doesnt look like the produced alum panniers. your bike looks good but "just playin around" comon. tell the truth you still have the same panniers.
C-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #5106
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Here's my ride in Milwaukee, searching for beers

Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #5107
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
LED turn signals

After my recent down I had to replace my turn signals (already had 'em ready). I didn't realize at the time that I had to run resistors in the circuit (parallel) but I like the way they came out...
What do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #5108
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
After my recent down I had to replace my turn signals (already had 'em ready). I didn't realize at the time that I had to run resistors in the circuit (parallel) but I like the way they came out...
What do you guys think?
If you don't want to run resistors, get a 552 electronic flasher. Costs around $7 at most parts stores. I just put one on my 250

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #5109
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Theres some nice KLR's in here.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #5110
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
If you don't want to run resistors, get a 552 electronic flasher. Costs around $7 at most parts stores. I just put one on my 250
Yeah, I checked those out, it was kinda of a big unit and you have to wire each signal to it.... The inline resistors seem to be working OK......
Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #5111
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
A couple of new decals added to the side panels

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #5112
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 855

Todays wee ride
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #5113
Snypercell
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Yeah, I checked those out, it was kinda of a big unit and you have to wire each signal to it.... The inline resistors seem to be working OK......
+1
Just started running the resistors, myself. Really quick and easy to install, and no messing with the stock flasher. I would like to get a low-voltage flasher in there, though, to reduce my power consumption. Eventually....
Snypercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #5114
Snypercell
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post

Nice bike!
Snypercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #5115
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
hmm...i just swapped out the stock flasher for the 552 electronic. It is almost the exact same size and fit the stock plug and location. The whole point in using lower wattage bulbs for me was because the 250 has a pretty low output stator and adding resistors defeated the purpose.