Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #5701
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Thanks. It's a start....

I'm thinking about pulling off my top fairing and installing one of these....

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...-Electricstart

I\

and I'd like to keep my stock instrument cluster. Trying to figure out how hard that will be and what I'll need to fabricate to make it look less than totally crap.

I'd also install a Safari or IMS large tank and get rid of the side fairings as well.

I also thought about doing that, but Iam pretty sure that you would have to go with a Vapor or something like that for the speedo etc. The bracket that holds the instrument cluster sticks out quite abit and the backside of the cluster would be exposed and looks funky. One other thing is with the cowl off the rad. shrouds dont look right,too much space between the shourd and front of the bike. Belive me if it werent for the shrouds it would be a nice mod.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #5702
samhain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I just took these today.

samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #5703
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 785
I really like the looks of those all blacked out-tires and all. Maybe another KLR is in my future?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #5704
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
I also thought about doing that, but Iam pretty sure that you would have to go with a Vapor or something like that for the speedo etc. The bracket that holds the instrument cluster sticks out quite abit and the backside of the cluster would be exposed and looks funky. One other thing is with the cowl off the rad. shrouds dont look right,too much space between the shourd and front of the bike. Belive me if it werent for the shrouds it would be a nice mod.
Makes sense about the Vapour...it's just a thought at this point. I don't have the $$.

I was thinking the IMS tank would take care of the side farings over the rad and coolant tank.

I may also wait and grab a cheap used DR650 or DRz400 or KLX250 and work on that bike so I can ride the KLR while I mess around with the 2nd bike.

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #5705
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Some recent pics of the project KLR I have been building in my garage. It's nearing completion, at least for now.

WOW!!! sweet bike! What radiator is that & does it hold more volume than stock? Are you pleased with it?
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #5706
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. noticed that radiator too .. is that the one off eBay?? .. good price ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #5707
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,352
I know trailer pics are a bit lame for this thread, but had I ridden home from the Golden Eagle Enduro in Stillwater, OK today, I'd be dead on the highway. It was over 100 deg F. Still recovering from my heat exhaustion.

Here's me as I was hitting the wall. I had to quit about 6 miles later. Completed >50 course miles of a scheduled 56. Vomited three times. Can you see it in my eyes?

And here's the start several hours prior. Rowmates are ADV inmates Newner (XR250R) and Tomski74 (DR650). I suckered them into riding with me.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #5708
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
OK red dirt. Your rim is farked. With all your cool mods to the KLR why would you run the ugly 08 front fender?
Get rehydrated so you don't
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #5709
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. noticed that radiator too .. is that the one off eBay?? .. good price ..

It's a Mylers Supercool. It's a little thicker than a stocker and has a little higher capacity. I have been well pleased with it so far, seems to do an excellent job. It's also made right here in the USA. I think it was around $325.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #5710
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
OK red dirt. Your rim is farked. With all your cool mods to the KLR why would you run the ugly 08 front fender?
Get rehydrated so you don't
Thanks for your concern.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #5711
Brandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Dirtydog, you made a damned good effort. Riding an enduro 50 out of 56 miles in 100 degree temps on a bike the size of our KLR is a monumental task to say the least.

And yeah, your front rim is farked.

Woody's Wheelworks can probably fix it though.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #5712
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Dirtydog, you made a damned good effort. Riding an enduro 50 out of 56 miles in 100 degree temps on a bike the size of our KLR is a monumental task to say the least.

And yeah, your front rim is farked.

Woody's Wheelworks can probably fix it though.
Compared to how it looked last summer on my SOLO TAT trip, it's a major improvement.

Works fine. This bike has over 70k HARD miles.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #5713
Geepn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
And apparently no bugles if you go to the right!!!
All the neiborhoods have walls around them, when you get to a neighborhood, no trucks allowed, no honking horns, some palces no cars (park outside and walk in.).

Interesting that most of the road signs are in Chinese and English and the ones that aren't have pictures.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #5714
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,519
A pic and vid of the mighty Dirty Dog:

I found this enduro stuff to be a very educational event. Standing in the riders meeting looking around at all of the old broken down old men, little sissy girls, and the wimpy little children entering the event I felt that I wouldn't be the slowest on the course.........

Assessing my competition my confidence was climbing, entering the event on the microscopic XR250R and leaving my KLR in the garage I felt that this was going to be a good time.

Little did I know that the old men, women, and children were riding at skill level well beyond mine. I made it to the first check point on time and then as the race progressed the Whiskey and Vodka was sweating out of my system and my stamina was non- existent and the little XR was protesting it 250lb rider by not starting. After much delay and exhaustion I finished the 1st loop and opted to stay in camp and recover rather the suffering heat exhaustion on the 2nd loop.
I had ridden some gnarly single track in the past on the KLR and I felt that this experience would qualify me as decent rider with respects to this community of enduro racers. I discovered it would take many hours of training and conditioning just to be a small fraction as good as some of the very same old men, women, and children.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #5715
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Some recent pics of the project KLR I have been building in my garage. It's nearing completion, at least for now.

Looking good Brandon

Have you given any thought to fork spring rate yet?

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote