User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #6301
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 623
Temp gauge issues.

Anybody have issues with their temp gauge not reading accurately? I installed the therm-o-bob kit a long time ago, and I can tell it's working properly, I may not be a genius, but I'm not retarded and know it's in right.

Going to use a secondary gauge plumbed into the bypass side so I'm reading circulating water temp but it means making something from scratch to house the probe(no biggie, do stuff like this all the time).

Just kind of looking to see if anybody else has had this issue.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #6302
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306

Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #6303
R Brown
KLRider

Oddometer: 55
[QUOTE=Fireman1000;20117172]I picked up my third KLR today. Sold an FZ8 last weekend and found this nicely set up 2009 here in the Flea Market (thanks Riley). My 8 year old approves.

Good looking bike Fireman. Looks like a happy son too.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #6304
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
I put 170 miles on the bike today, I had work in my backup data center then a San Bernardino National Forest Adopt-A-Trail meeting in Corona; I even managed to sneak in 9.5 miles of dirt.

I suck at dirt, totally newb, blah blah. My Dunlop 607s don't really help add confidence either. Last night I got the idea that I would give a go at crossing over the mountain if I was able to weasel out of work early. I left my DC at 3ish, got some food, and hit the trail.

I took Silverado Canyon up to the Main Divide in the Cleveland NF. The gate to Santiago Peak was closed so no dice there. I maxed out at 4500 foot (instead of the peak's 5687). I continued North and wasn't liking the steep descent, knobbies and lower gearing would help a lot here (I'm running on a 16t countershaft gear). Since I wasn't sure how steep it would drop down the mountain I turned around, took a few photos, and went out the way I came in. Not a bad choice as it was getting late and I was in darkness for about three miles, no big deal though since I ride slower than a granny.

Clouds above and below.

Oh yeah - Did I mention we were having rain off and on all day. No real moisture to speak of on the mountain but I had the right gear so wasn't all that worried.

Since a KLR is required to have some POS suplus gear on the tail there is an East German "combat pack." It appears to be mostly watertight and has plenty of places to strap stuff. I actually have two of them and plan to use them as light paneer bags. For this trip it held my underwear. No, really. At the top of the hill I stripped down to put my underarmor cold weather undies on for nightfall, luckily nobody drove up at that key moment.

My KLR is a finely tuned machine. Because of that I only get the best. Below here you will find my advanced satellite navigation device. It communicates with satellites in space to give you an accurate readout of your location, elevation, and speed. It's very advanced stuff and I'm quite proud to own it.

Ol' trusty

After getting back on pavement I booked it to Corona and made it in time for the AAT meeting.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #6305
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorguy1979 View Post
Anybody have issues with their temp gauge not reading accurately? I installed the therm-o-bob kit a long time ago, and I can tell it's working properly, I may not be a genius, but I'm not retarded and know it's in right.

Going to use a secondary gauge plumbed into the bypass side so I'm reading circulating water temp but it means making something from scratch to house the probe(no biggie, do stuff like this all the time).

Just kind of looking to see if anybody else has had this issue.
Here was the setup I used to install a TrailTech Vapor temp sensor in the TBob bypass line in the KLX250. It worked pretty well except because of the tight fit, the sensor picked up a little heat from the exhaust and would read a little high. I've subsequently moved the sensor out of the bypass and into the radiator high-temp dummy light place. The bypass is a good place for a temp sensor install.

IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #6306
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,073

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #6307
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Here was the setup I used to install a TrailTech Vapor temp sensor in the TBob bypass line in the KLX250. It worked pretty well except because of the tight fit, the sensor picked up a little heat from the exhaust and would read a little high. I've subsequently moved the sensor out of the bypass and into the radiator high-temp dummy light place. The bypass is a good place for a temp sensor install.
For a KLR650, if you buy a TT Vapor computer you can install their temp sensor where the OEM temp sensor is found (near the spark plug). It threads right in and is a much better place to get temp info from. If coolant stops flowing for some reason (water pump failure, contaminants, etc.) your top end could be 250 degrees F and your coolant wouldn't necessarily show it. On a side note, you can also tap into the stock tach wires so you don't have to use the supplied TT tach wires.
http://klrworld.com/forums/handlebar...tall-tutorial/
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #6308
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Tossed on some new luggage. Its Kappa, same as Givi, same factory even, just their slightly cheaper line. Instead of it being mono key it's 1 key per case. Seem pretty sturdy, I like them. I don't know what dropping them on a rock offroad would do to them, nothing to pretty I'm sure. But mine's mostly a tourer with occasional fs roads so they are fine for me. Got them from tourandride.com. $630 to the door including rack and shipping.

doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #6309
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Tossed on some new luggage. Its Kappa, same as Givi, same factory even, just their slightly cheaper line. Instead of it being mono key it's 1 key per case. Seem pretty sturdy, I like them. I don't know what dropping them on a rock offroad would do to them, nothing to pretty I'm sure. But mine's mostly a tourer with occasional fs roads so they are fine for me. Got them from tourandride.com. $630 to the door including rack and shipping.

Awesome. Thought they were gs bags first. Great job on that bike. My fav.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #6310
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Nice set up Doogiepooch! I like the dash panel and the bags look awesome.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #6311
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #6312
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,399
Great day in the Adirondacks today...low sixties! Last time for this season, for sure!

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #6313
fourthree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Originally Posted by newcastleadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastlx View Post
Fuel mileage?
5 miles per beer!
fourthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #6314
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post

Some people will do drastic things to get a KLR under the 300 pound park.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #6315
Adv Reilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
New (used) Pelican case

Scored this at a local thrift store for $10!

[IMG][/IMG]