Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #7336
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
It is an AimHi universal fairing. This is the vendors thread, but it looks like he has now halted production. I bought mine from a member that had used it on a DRZ. I built new brackets and added a second LED along with trimming it down more than most (actually trimmed mine a bit to much).
Cool, thanks for the information. I'd seen the fairing that is sold through ADVMonster/GlobeTrottin by Sanjoh, but hadn't seen this one. I'm not sold on this type of fairing for my style of riding, but options are nice!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #7337
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
Heading home from the dealer's:

Sweet!!!
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #7338
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Cool, thanks for the information. I'd seen the fairing that is sold through ADVMonster/GlobeTrottin by Sanjoh, but hadn't seen this one. I'm not sold on this type of fairing for my style of riding, but options are nice!
When I did my build I knew I wasn't going with stock. Originally I wanted an XS Twin, but those are no longer made and I had no luck finding a used one. I considered the non-beaked version (Lynx?), but with lights, shipping from Canada and VAT it was ~$800 and while I have way more in the KLR than I want to admit, along with a fair amount of regret, I just wasn't willing to pay that much for a fairing that wasn't my first choice (well in general actually). So, I started looking for other options and decided something that was attached to the forks/tree would be nice. I almost pulled the trigger on the ADVMonster setup, but someone PM'd me wanting to sell the AimHi fairing. I wasn't real sure about it and didn't really care for the look and couldn't find any pics of one on a KLR. He wanted to dump it though and I pretty much paid the cost of the Rigid LED it came with, so I figured it was worth a shot at that price. As I said I cut it down a tad more than I should have, but I am much happier with it than I was with the stock fairing and it didn't cost $800!
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #7339
ctowne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:

That's one slick looking bike :

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
ctowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #7340
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
When I did my build I knew I wasn't going with stock. Originally I wanted an XS Twin, but those are no longer made and I had no luck finding a used one. I considered the non-beaked version (Lynx?), but with lights, shipping from Canada and VAT it was ~$800 and while I have way more in the KLR than I want to admit, along with a fair amount of regret, I just wasn't willing to pay that much for a fairing that wasn't my first choice (well in general actually). So, I started looking for other options and decided something that was attached to the forks/tree would be nice. I almost pulled the trigger on the ADVMonster setup, but someone PM'd me wanting to sell the AimHi fairing. I wasn't real sure about it and didn't really care for the look and couldn't find any pics of one on a KLR. He wanted to dump it though and I pretty much paid the cost of the Rigid LED it came with, so I figured it was worth a shot at that price. As I said I cut it down a tad more than I should have, but I am much happier with it than I was with the stock fairing and it didn't cost $800!
Very cool. I'm not sold on the looks of either the AimHi or the ADVMonster fairing, but no doubt that they are both functional. I initially did the WWW mod on my bike and built a custom dash for it, planning on eventually getting the Brittania Pheonix. I like the look of the Brittania stuff, but it's REALLY hard to justify spending $800 for a fairing on a $1200 bike.

After running the WWW and custom dash for a while, I realized I could ditch everything on my dash, move my waterproof USB outlet to a custom mount elsewhere, and really only "miss" the voltage meter. I don't even miss that now. Here is my setup:

I MIGHT get a windscreen for it (I've got one bookmarked somewhere), but so far, I'm liking it just fine as it is. The best part is that I have less than $80 into the current setup and it's better lighting than stock.

Maybe not ideal, but I'm not heading out around the world any time soon, and I'm hoping to get a Vstrom1000 in the coming months for long trips anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the information, good stuff.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #7341
Btown Jason
Substitute

Oddometer: 99
Quote:

Very nice! I like that color!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #7342
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Very cool. I'm not sold on the looks of either the AimHi or the ADVMonster fairing, but no doubt that they are both functional. I initially did the WWW mod on my bike and built a custom dash for it, planning on eventually getting the Brittania Pheonix. I like the look of the Brittania stuff, but it's REALLY hard to justify spending $800 for a fairing on a $1200 bike.

After running the WWW and custom dash for a while, I realized I could ditch everything on my dash, move my waterproof USB outlet to a custom mount elsewhere, and really only "miss" the voltage meter. I don't even miss that now. Here is my setup:

I MIGHT get a windscreen for it (I've got one bookmarked somewhere), but so far, I'm liking it just fine as it is. The best part is that I have less than $80 into the current setup and it's better lighting than stock.

Maybe not ideal, but I'm not heading out around the world any time soon, and I'm hoping to get a Vstrom1000 in the coming months for long trips anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the information, good stuff.
Sounds like we were both in the same predicament with similar feelings about the options available. I considered doing something completely custom, but I was heading out on a couple month trip across the US and back via the TAT and the bike was still in pieces not long before I left so I couldn't take the time to fabricate my own. Might consider it once the trip is over, but the AimHi has been good so far on the trip. Much better than stock when doing extended super slab. I'm not super impressed with the Rigid LEDs, and I imagine your setup works better for lighting. I ditched the instrument cluster and went with a acewell computer so I had the additional space along with the fact the unit had a voltage meter. I planned to make a dash, but just ran out of time before we left.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #7343
haydenslides
K.Flotto

Oddometer: 94

From today..Hells Canyon ID

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
'02 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa
'74 Honda CT70 - the original adv bike
port angeles, washington, usa
haydenslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #7344
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,087
Up and up!

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #7345
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post

My favorite KLR, so far.
I don't know if you're kidding or not, but that is the ugliest KLR I've ever seen.

Maybe that's your goal?
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #7346
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:

My buddy has one just like that. One of the best looking KLR's ever.

Congrats on the new ride.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #7347
KLR Clown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I don't know if you're kidding or not, but that is the ugliest KLR I've ever seen.

Maybe that's your goal?
I would have to agree!!! I think it should be removed from the Internet and never be allowed to have its picture taken again. It falls in the catagory of "KLRs of Walmart"
KLR Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #7348
majorhavoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
majorhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #7349
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323