User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
dlew OP
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Question for those of you who have both Old School and New School

I'm pretty new to the whole idea of having an old school bike. When I bought my 12GS I was looking for state of the art but now I find myself drawn to the Airheads.

In my other interests I've had both older and newer trucks, bicycles, fishing rods, cameras, etc. and they all of their place and their own allure.

But the GS is such a damn versatile, fun bike, and really pretty reliable that I can't think of an opportunity where I wouldn't want to ride it. And specific to motorcycle riding I want safest ride--one that stops well, doesn't dive, and handles well in most conditions.

So I ask those of you who have both an Old School and a New School bike, an airhead and an oilhead, when, where, and how do you choose to ride each?

dlew screwed with this post 01-18-2007 at 12:38 PM
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 443
Solo I ride the Airhead R100GS, two up the Oilhead R1150RT. Time does not matter the R100GS, if I have to be there quick the R1150RT. Warm the R100GS, cold the R1150RT running heated clothing. Or which ever bike is easist to get out of the garage at the time.
Hennepinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Good questions dlew. As a person with the following bikes (99-1100GS, 92-GSPD Airhead, and a 75 R90/6 Airhead) I use this method as a guide. When I'm headed out west (Co-WY-MT) I like to use my Oilhead 99-GS, because it turns less RPM's at highway speeds. I (so far) am using the PD, as my intermediate bike for around here in the southeast, because it turns higher RPM's at speed, and has a bit less protection vs. the GS1100. I have only had the R90 for a few months now, and am not really sure of it's duties in the coming year. I REALLY like riding it, and plan on riding it over to NC for the Spring Fling Old School Rally in April. Thats a 250-300 mile'r, one way.
Now, many people will say,........Hell Boojum, these Airheads love to spin RPM's, and will run 5000 PLUS R's all day long. I'm sure they will, however at this time, I still like pampering my bikes, and still not wanting to do that quite yet. The Old School Bikes make me feel like I'm younger, on an older bike, and back in the 70's again. That's my .02 cents on how and why I ride my bikes. For What It's Worth!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,282
They are the same only different to borrow a Yogism. I ride the airhead on the same roads as the ST1300 only with a different attitude. I generally ride 150-400 mile day rides and my mood or if and who I am riding with determine which bike I take. I appreciate that each handles and brakes differently from the other and part of the allure is riding each as well as possible. Now if I am riding off on a multi-day tour or need to carry a bunch of stuff then I usually choose the right tool for the job. If I just plan on a putt around the block after work the naked airhead gets the nod. On vintage bike night the Honda ST isn't quite the ticket either.

I think an airhead will make you appreciate just how well simple and elegant designs work even decades later....

Dave

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
In my shop I have had alot of riders on airhead's because of relieablity and can be fixed anywhere ( no computer's , no fuel injection ) and thats a consteration on a long ride like a around the world ride. but I have both I mostly ride my R1150GS and soon to ride ( I just got it ) my R65 mostly for fun.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
I'm pretty new to the whole idea of having an old school bike. When I bought my 12GS I was looking for state of the art but now I find myself drawn to the Airheads.

In my other interests I've had both older and newer trucks, bicycles, fishing rods, cameras, etc. and they all of their place and their own allure.

But the GS is such a damn versatile, fun bike, and really pretty reliable that I can't think of an opportunity where I wouldn't want to ride it. And specific to motorcycle riding I want safest ride--one that stops well, doesn't dive, and handles well in most conditions.

So I ask those of you who have both an Old School and a New School bike, an airhead and an oilhead, when, where, and how do you choose to ride each?
Nice days, nowhere to go, just out for a putt putt - R100

Nice days, some distance, riding in traffic, stuff to do, carrying both of us, want to haul ass, want to ride some dirt or such - one of the modern bikes.

Don't ask how I decide which one of those to ride.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,362
Like the others have replied, my Oilhead is what I take when I want to make time, ride two up, weather is cold or I want to chase someone thru the twisties. Faster, more comfortable, better brakes and all around protection. It is more complicated, but none of my Oilheads have ever had a reliability question. They work. The R 100 GS doen't stop as fast, will dive on braking, no ABS and weather protection could be better, not to mention an electrical system that leads alot to be desired. But it really puts a smile on my face to ride. I started out 15 years ago on an R 100 RT, and have had about 6 or 7 BMW's since then , including a K bile and an F 650, so I have pretty much had them all, and I am happy to be back where I started. They just sem to have alot of character.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Lurking Luddite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Insurance being an expensive issue in Canada, I only keep one older ride insured. It has been my R69S for the last couple of years. For short trips, solo riding, coffee runs and errands I love it. The R1150gs gets the nod for most riding and if riding with with other bikes, ringing out an old bike when everone else is on newer, bigger, better stopping machines I do not find fun.
But purring along on an older machine at a relaxed pace cannot be beat.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
My decision process is pretty simple....miles/day required and weather expected. I like taking trips on my airheads but I tend to plan lower miles and wait for favorable weather. I could give a shit about my oilheads. They do receive good maintenance but I will ride them in both hell and high water.

I like working on my airheads as well. I find it relaxing and don't mind if the job stretches into days/weeks. The oilheads are also pretty simple but everything takes more time.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,511
What's an oilhead? JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
i had an airhead (r100/7) and an oilhead (r1150gs adv) at the same time for a while... sold the oilhead. those things are a blast... it beat the pants off my airhead in almost every aspect, but... there's nothing like cruising around on that /7. sure, it doesn't handle as well, accelerate as well, stop as well, hold as much fuel, have a sixth gear or cool luggage, keep my hands warm, keep the wind off me, or get me to where i'm going as fast. wait... why did i sell that thing? oh yeah... it was expensive! for the price i sold my gs for i bought a real off road bike (dr350) and that /7, and could still buy a brand new KLR if i wanted to. trying to decide which bike was not an easy decision, but if you're drawn towards the airheads, go for it... if it doesn't suit you, i'm sure you'll have no problem letting it go for what you paid for it. you'll figure out what to ride when.

i sure do miss that gs though... those things are unbelievable. the guy who bought it from me called me the other day and said "this thing rides like a fucking magic carpet"... and thanked me again. something tells me i'll have another oilhead before too long.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
What's an oilhead? JT

+1, I used to own an oilhead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
What's an oilhead? JT

Awesome.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,097
+1

I have the exact same bikes and almost the same riding style! Although, the miles per year are starting to sway towards the airhead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennepinboy
Solo I ride the Airhead R100GS, two up the Oilhead R1150RT. Time does not matter the R100GS, if I have to be there quick the R1150RT. Warm the R100GS, cold the R1150RT running heated clothing. Or which ever bike is easist to get out of the garage at the time.

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Cobbmtn
Occasionally audacious

Oddometer: 65
You just got to have both!
Attached Images