User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
stayne OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Wicked New here and questions about my 84 XR200R

Hello folks. I recently picked up this bike from a kid for $400 off craigslist. He knew absolutely nothing about it (even thought it was an '85). Anyway, it smokes. Starts right up but smokes and rarely idles. Light blue smoke. I tried to ride it once but once I took off it bogged down and I have to downshift to keep it from dying. Seems like the carbs need cleaning (both of 'em) and judging from the smoke I'm going to first try replacing the valve seals ($10.79 apiece from the local Honda shop here in Tyler, TX). Question is will I have to remove the head to do that or just the valve cover? I haven't dug into the shop manual yet, which thankfully the kid had, just wanted to ask you guys before I get into something that might be over my head. Small specks of black oil are coming out of the pipe. Woohoo!

I haven't done a thing to it yet but put grips and a bar pad on it. Here she is:

stayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Looks good for 400 bones.

First thing I'd do is clean the carbs and ensure there's no oil or bad fuel in the tank. That'll most likely cure your idling and bogging issues. Once that's done I'd run it until it's good and hot and see then if it's still smoking. If it's been sitting for a while, sometimes they'll smoke a bit.

The valve seals are easy to replace, but you're best to remove the head. It can be done without removing the head but it's tricky and with a motor that old I'd want to look in the cylinder anyway as well as looking at the bottom of the head and valves. Only additional cost is another head gasket.

10 bucks each sounds steep to me. I think I've ordered them before and paid 10 bucks for 4 of them.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
stayne OP
Adventurer

Thanks gvthnks, will do. I was thinking I might as well buy seals, rings and gaskets and do the rings too while I am at it. That oil that is spitting out the exhaust worries me, must be burning up (it's black specks, but the oil is new) and slipping past the rings or valves. I read somewhere that rfvc heads like to cook oil? I don't see an oil cooler on this thing.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,898
That right there is one of the meanest 200cc bikes honda ever made. What i'm saying is Why cant I get that lucky. And i agree Clean the carbs and doa oil change. ride it and get it hot a few times and then see if it still smokes. Those old hondas are tough but if they sit they tend to smoke a little.

If after a few rides it still smokes pull it down give it a new piston and rings and valve seals and enjoy.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
stayne OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys! I finally have something to pass the time.

Beers all around
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,779
I've had two of these and love them. When I got my current one it smoked like a crop duster for about the first 5 rides and then slowly went away. Clean the carbs, check the valve clearances and ride it for a bit and the smoking may just go away on it's own. The oil turns black quickly even when they were brand new so change it often.

I have newer "better" bikes, but the 200 is still my favorite!

ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
stayne OP
Adventurer

Got the carbs off this weekend and cleaned them up but the intake manifold rubber insulators are toast. Someone had rigged it up with some sort of silicone. No wonder it wouldn't idle...there were air leaks. Found one on Ebay for $32.00 thank goodness.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
stayne OP
Adventurer

I read the part description wrong. Will the intake manifold from an 84 XR500R fit an 84 XR200R?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Ong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
91' XR200R timing adjustment

Hi, I just got my XR200R 91 model. The timing chain is kind of loud. Anyone here know how to go about on the "Self" adjustment of the timing chain?
Ong is offline   Reply With Quote