User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
kindberg OP
MANA

Oddometer: 22
Klr 650 mods ?

First Thread so please forgive me for any mistakes ! I am currently trying to get my 09 650 KLR ready for a trip down to South America ( SOLO ) !
I just wanted to know if anyone has advice on the must have add ons and spare parts to bring for such a Trip.
I need to find out the week spots on that bike and the aftermarket replacement solution for stock parts ?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
ejbeert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Good search: doctor gregory frazier
Ride adjust ride again.
That said, there seems to be credable stories about replaceing the doo spring, at least and
greasing the chassis. I have not done those things yet;but plan to.
Again more searches; klr. net, klr.com and this forum
My personal experience with a whopping 5000 miles has been no drama no failures starts up and runs every time. I have added and am happy with; mad stad windshield system, JD jetting and air box mod, drilled a 3/4 hole in the twetter exaust baffles. Caribou luggage system works good, Changed the front sprocket to 16 tooth. I am currently working on the suspension mostly springs to adjust for my weight. Happy trails, schnitz raceing and top gun are some good web sites. Turns out I like this bike which I use for pavement and graded gravel roads;except today when it is 18 9 with wind chill and I plan on spending the day huddled under an electric blanket. Enjoy, good luck on the trip, post up when you do.
ejbeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
There is already a great KLR modification thread going on somewhere below...has many many posts and some great info.

as stated above, do the DOO, torsion spring, UNI air filter, KLX needle, and set the pilot jet screw to 2 turns out. Change oil regularly and ride....enjoy

Hope this helps...
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
... there are some great Ride Reports that will give you a ton of information both on what to take and what to watch out for ..

.. for the bike and for yourself ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
You could spend months searching and reading - and many 'mods' and farkles are useless, often speculative and rearly supported by not much other than regurgitated opinion.

Here is the beginning of a list, since you specifically asked on this forum;

1. The best and most important preparation and spare part repository will be between you ears and your ability to use your hands!
2. Replace the counterbalancer spring (Doo spring).
3. Make sure that the valves are set at max gap.
4. Spare brake pads.
5. Spare chain and front sprocket -with master links.
6. Fuses. The main amp fuse is a different size to the 3 other running fuses.
7. Spare water pump seal and O rings - gasket.
8. Spare clutch and accelerator cables
9. Inner tubes, patch kits, and tools to do that work, small electrical air pump and a small manual backup hand pump.
10. Spare oil filters.
11. Spare air filter. Vaseline is a good backup to filter oil and easily carried.
12. Spare spark plugs.
13. Few spare common size nuts and bolts and ty-wraps. Check every fastener on the bike and loctite where ever necessary.
14. Small multimeter.
15. Tubes of quickset epoxy
16. Electrical tape.
17.Suppliment the stock tool kit with sockets to fit the bike.
18. Take the tank and seat off and trace all the of the wire harness - make sure there are no possible sings of wear points.
19. Clean and replace for front shock oil.
20. Get a weight rated rear shock for your and your loads weight. I recomend the CD Moab
21. Look after your rear end! I have tried all and my choice is a Russel seat.
22. Chech the tightness of your spokes.
23. Locktite your fasteners
24. Dialectic grease in and on all of you electrical connections and bulbs.
25. Make yourself a 'crutch' to support the bike when changing tires - get a cheap adjustable AL walking stick and cut it to length.
26. Replace the battery with a sealed one. My choice is the Oddessy brand.
27. Dont mess with the carb or airbox. They are fine as they are. Know how to clean it out.
28. Add an L shaped fuel filter.
29. Chain lube.
30. See item no 1 - most important!
31. Decent engine protection/guard.

The list could go on! A start.

Luggage - too many variables. Some like hard lockable, others soft bags.

PM me direct if you need discussion.

Enjoy the adventure!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
You could spend months searching and reading - and many 'mods' and farkles are useless, often speculative and rearly supported by not much other than regurgitated opinion.

Since we're going this far, I'd nominate for consideration nerfs (or IMS tank) and handguards, protecting plastic, steel tank (if not supplanted by IMS product), and radiator, clutch and brake levers (carry spare levers, if you omit the handguards).

And . . . a petcock diaphragm repair/rebuild kit; small, lightweight, inexpensive, and . . . useful, in the unlikely event the vacuum-operated petcock fails.

Zip-ties. The Moose Racing Multi-Moto Tool (pliers) has many useful components, including tire valve stem core tool, metric hex keys, etc.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 01:55 AM
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I had an 06 klr once and the best mod that i did was progressive springs for the front forksa hindle can -jet kit and aftermarket foam air filter better tires helped also... i didnt get around to doing the doo hickey and when i changed the oil i........i......i....[panicked] and traded it in
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 565
Bring sprockets not chain but a few masters and middle links will get you to a new chain. Put new ones on now. Same with cables, new now and no spares. Load bike and set suspension sag.

Yamaha TDR250

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #9
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Crash bars. Everything else can be sorted in the long term, an off that damages the radiator can pull your trip up rather quickly.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Aussie Johnno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Just my 2 bobs worth, bought my 2008 brand new, ran it in riding normal around town. Changed the oil a few times, have put 26,000km's on the clock with no issues.
Doohickey - adjusted once
Valves - Adjusted never
Mods - Thermobob

Never let me down, shit i am still running the original battery.

Modify the bike all you want and how much your wallet can afford, but my 08 has never let me down. Some mods just maybe wasted money in my opinion.

Aussie Johnno
Aussie Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #11
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Do the Doo, Thermo Bob, Sub frame bolt upgrade kit and you may also go to klr650.net for more info.
Jake Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 316
Be kind to your engine
1. The improved stock doo is probably up to the task, however Em's doo torsion spring doo system is far superior to the stock coil spring.
2. KLX needle, carb and jetting mods, uni-filter, and 3/4 exhaust outlet. As delivered the engine runs much too lean - keeping father EPA happy. Minimal $ investment.
3. Thermo-bob - engine comes up to and runs a constant operating temp.
4. Change oil often.

Be kind to yourself.
1. Suspension mods front and rear. Go the full route -- Cogent on mine and probably the best return on the $. Pricey but you'll never look back and question your decision. Keep in mind these systems are completely custom build thus should be the last step after determining the final weight of rider, bike, and gear.
2. Seat if required. The stocker fits me fine, but I also ride a KTM.
3. Bark busters or such on the bars.
4. Nerfs and such so a minor fall doesn't turn into a disaster. Lots of good systems take your pick.

Bokrijder
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyks View Post
Crash bars. Everything else can be sorted in the long term, an off that damages the radiator can pull your trip up rather quickly.
+1
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
OK, if it were me going with a stock bike...here goes....

DOO and torsion spring
run a second set of cables besides the originals clytch and brake
spare spark plug
A good all day seat, either russle or a corbin flat, and a sheepskin to cover it.
Anti monkey butt powder....yes it works! And a good diaper rash cream, yes it works!
KLX needle, pilot screw reset, UNI air filter, drill slider 7/64ths, 4 1" holes in top of air box and carry plugs for holes(same as eleetrical box plugs)
change out battery to Odyses 545(never look back)
Front progressive springs, intimidators, extra 1" in spacers for added stiffness.
Respring rear shock with Topgun spring either 7.4kg or 8kg spring.
Barkbusters to save levers, spare levers, just in case.
replace shifter to IMS and carry stock, just in case.
Do the clutch lever extention mod for ease in clutching
use stainless oil filter, carry a litre of oil at all times
carry air filter oil, chain oil, spare chain and sprockets(always replace as a set if teeth are looking bad)
Some sort of crash bars to protect tank and rad, Packrat rear rack system, strongest on the market IMHO.
Spend the time to source and clean out a set of Mermite cans and use as panniers, almost indestructable.
Spare fuses, light bulbs, obvious tools needed to do any maintenance.
Tire repair kit, plus a heavy duty sticher for stiching sidewall slash just in case. spare tire valve cores and caps.tool
Spare tubes front and rear
Hide spare key on bike somewhere.
bypass safety switches, clutch and side stand
no need for thermobob, it's warm where you're going...doh!
first aid kit with skin numbing solution and stiching kit for yourself, plenty of pain killers, any meds you take daily.
Whatever clothing, food, good solid knife, some sort of club or stick to use if necessary.that doesn't look as such.
hide spare money on bike too just in case.
12volt air pump for tires.
maps for the location you are going, small.
GPS motorcycle friendly..NUVI 550, seems to be cheapest.
SPOT emergency navigator with tracking service.
if you wear glasses, extra set.
motorcycle protective gear, of your choosing...atgatt

I'm sure there is more, but that is what I would do and how I have set my bike up for my adventures.
Have I used it all, not yet, but it's there if I ever have to. The stiching of me or the tire is I think the only thing I haven't used along with any self defence items.
Is it a heavy bike when loaded, sure but I know it will get me there and back in one piece.

Take your time and enjoy the ride....it's worth it!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
kindberg OP
MANA

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post

1. The best and most important preparation and spare part repository will be between you ears and your ability to use your hands!
2. Replace the counterbalancer spring (Doo spring).
3. Make sure that the valves are set at max gap.
4. Spare brake pads.
5. Spare chain and front sprocket -with master links.
6. Fuses. The main amp fuse is a different size to the 3 other running fuses.
7. Spare water pump seal and O rings - gasket.
8. Spare clutch and accelerator cables
9. Inner tubes, patch kits, and tools to do that work, small electrical air pump and a small manual backup hand pump.
10. Spare oil filters.
11. Spare air filter. Vaseline is a good backup to filter oil and easily carried.
12. Spare spark plugs.
13. Few spare common size nuts and bolts and ty-wraps. Check every fastener on the bike and loctite where ever necessary.
14. Small multimeter.
15. Tubes of quickset epoxy
16. Electrical tape.
17.Suppliment the stock tool kit with sockets to fit the bike.
18. Take the tank and seat off and trace all the of the wire harness - make sure there are no possible sings of wear points.
19. Clean and replace for front shock oil.
20. Get a weight rated rear shock for your and your loads weight. I recomend the CD Moab
21. Look after your rear end! I have tried all and my choice is a Russel seat.
22. Chech the tightness of your spokes.
23. Locktite your fasteners
24. Dialectic grease in and on all of you electrical connections and bulbs.
25. Make yourself a 'crutch' to support the bike when changing tires - get a cheap adjustable AL walking stick and cut it to length.
26. Replace the battery with a sealed one. My choice is the Oddessy brand.
27. Dont mess with the carb or airbox. They are fine as they are. Know how to clean it out.
28. Add an L shaped fuel filter.
29. Chain lube.
30. See item no 1 - most important!
31. Decent engine protection/guard.

The list could go on! A start.

Luggage - too many variables. Some like hard lockable, others soft bags.

PM me direct if you need discussion.

Enjoy the adventure!
Thanks Tootsie I now try to figure out a way to post pictures of the bike,crazy me spend about 8K on that KLR>
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote