PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #47
iridefar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Really great work, Eric. Have you thought about doing any mods to increase the fuel capacity?

IBA #16681
2005 R1200GS
2005 F650GS
2005 GL1800 Gold Wing
1998 ST1100
2002 KLX300R
www.iridefar.com
iridefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #48
Freakshow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thumb

That is some impressive work.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #49
awschmidt
ride-reckit-wrench-repeat

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher
If those holes are working okay for you than what I have planned should work. I have a borrowed hole punch, a roll of exhaust wrap and stainless ties all laying on my bench, so the timing of the info is perfect. I really wanted to put slots in the pan instead of holes (they would look better) but there is no way to mount the pan in a mill and I don't know anyone with a plasma cutter I could borrow (and I don't really want to spend eight or ten hours making them with a file either).

Eric
I agree with the idea of drill holes at the end and connect the dots with a cut off wheel. A die grinder 3" cutoff works for shorter slots, and a 4" right angle grinder with a cutoff mounted works for longer ones. You could also end drill and use a jig saw to connect them. Don't forget you are working with aluminum. I use my table saw and routers with carbide cutters on 6061 frequently. I think I remember your plate being .125 so hand slotting should be easy with any above method. btw, since I put holes in my .250 plate as an after thought, I used hole saws from my woodworking boxes.

Kevin

awschmidt screwed with this post 01-20-2007 at 12:00 PM
awschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #50
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 32,793
Great job. It looks great and it improves function. True craftsmanship.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #51
ehatcher OP
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,020
First I have to say "THANKS!" for all the kind comments

I have some scrap left over from the bash pan so I am going to try out some of the suggestions made regarding putting slots in. I am nervous about it because that pan was time consuming to make and I don't want to screw it up. The idea of a plasma cutter appeals to me because you just make up a form and run the cutter around in it, no real chance to get it crooked, no real time spent cleaning it up with a file. I will report back the results (or lack of) when I give it a try on monday.

I am thinking that a regular 3 inch cutting wheel may be too big for the size slots I need.....but I also have a Dremel tool with a 1.25 cutting wheel that may work too.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #52
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 632
Man,what a great job.If it was parked in my garage I would be smilin' too!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #53
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,571
E,

Man that looks sweet. I really dig that two headlight set up. So much cooler that the TT stuff. I've a 2005 Dakar.

The thing I keep dreaming about changing is going to a single exhaust can (like you did) and using the other side for additional fuel. You seem to have the skills... get on it man. I'll take the second generation one... I'm sure you'd have others... Might defeat the purpose of your lightening through.

I've got the Happy Trails panniers with Pelicans... Hanging fuel from that inside pannier location seems like the fix... rather than the outside location like all the current PD rally bikes. Already surrounded with the pannier cage for protection and all.

Sweet Job man!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #54
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,721
Very, very nice job!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #55
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
Yow Eric!!! To say that you're extremely talented would be a huge understatement. I'm truly in awe at the modifications that you've made.
justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #56
Dakar-Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Oh Great !!!!

I was just thinking to myself how good my (newish to me) Dakar 650 looks. And now you come along and roll out an eye popper - How do you sleep at night ?

Excellent job on your bike!

Dave
Oregon
Dakar-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #57
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Eric,

What would it cost to retain your expert services to give my beloved transalp a similar facelift?
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #58
ehatcher OP
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transalp Jas
Eric,

What would it cost to retain your expert services to give my beloved transalp a similar facelift?
Jas,

Give a TA a facelift? They are incredably good looking bikes with no help at all. Plus they are kinda rare (in the US) so they get plenty of attention too. I thought long and hard about getting one myself instead of doing the Dakar project.

One off work is prohibitively expensive to have done. Even just workman quality fit and finish like what my bike has is ridiculously costly. For the cost of a one off project like mine you could buy a KTM 950. It does not make any sense unless you really enjoy the work and do it yourself (which I do!)

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #59
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehatcher
Jas,

Give a TA a facelift? They are incredably good looking bikes with no help at all. Plus they are kinda rare (in the US) so they get plenty of attention too. I thought long and hard about getting one myself instead of doing the Dakar project.

One off work is prohibitively expensive to have done. Even just workman quality fit and finish like what my bike has is ridiculously costly. For the cost of a one off project like mine you could buy a KTM 950. It does not make any sense unless you really enjoy the work and do it yourself (which I do!)

Eric
Not to worry- even if i had the talent, i don't have the money!

I really like the looks of my '87 (and also the looks i get when i ride it!), but i'm a bit of a tinkerer and, as my fiance keeps telling me, i just can't leave well enough alone! When i see large scale projects like yours (and the absolutely beautiful results) it just gets the imagination going. Builds like yours are why i love this site. Keep up the great work, and keep sharing your results with us. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #60
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
Eric,
How many hours you think you put into the project?
TomN is online now   Reply With Quote