Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #1561
cuvy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
A little background. I am prepping for a full season of racing the XT. The bike rides fairly well at Infineon in spite of the dumpy stock suspension. Seat time aside, I am constantly working on the bike to get performance up at its peak. It will never be a featherweight like modern 450 singles. But those bikes require a steeper maintenance cycle than mine, so the XT has an edge there.

Things I've done to modify handling:
  • lace Excel rims to allow 120/17 front and 150/17 rear tires
  • install Progressive fork springs which are barely stiffer than stock but brand new
  • raise forks in the triple clamps, to improve turn in and lower the bike's center of mass
  • upgrade to bigger (298mm) front brake rotor and braided stainless line
  • install clip on handlebars
Things I'd like to do, finance allowing:
  • install cartridge style fork emulators
  • install adjustable preload and dampening monoshock
  • weld up a bracket for rearsets
  • either (A) further upgrade to 320mm front rotor, or (B) upgrade from 2 to 4 piston caliper
Has anyone here raced this bike, or performed major braking and handling upgrades?
Do you have any issues with the front wheel hittting anything, now that you've raised the forks? Thinking of doing similar with mine (running same sized wheels as you) but this made me hesitate. I guess with a smaller wheel you should have more clearance...

Get yourself a fork brace - it will make a huge difference to braking power, and stop the front twisting under heavy brakes. I'm running the stock disc/caliper, and had a noticeable improvement after installing the fork brace.

Do you know of any 4 pot calipers which are a direct swap for the XT's front caliper? I find i get a lot of caliper flex, and a better caliper I think would make a difference to power and feel. I have not yet gone the oversized disc route, but once i do i'd still like to use the stock caliper or an equivalent, as i don't really have the skills to machine a custom caliper bracket. EBC make a 310mm oversized disc kit for the XT which includes a bracket, which I will probably get when the funds allow.

Phil
cuvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #1562
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuvy
Do you have any issues with the front wheel hittting anything, now that you've raised the forks? Thinking of doing similar with mine (running same sized wheels as you) but this made me hesitate. I guess with a smaller wheel you should have more clearance...
Hi Phil, no problems with fender clearance. As you suggest the additional ~2" clearance from 21 to 17" greatens the gap. You'll bottom out the fork against the lower triple before you hit the fender. For reference my forks are raised > 3" in triples and have not bottomed out at the track. Though this is with new springs and heavier 15W fork oil.

Quote:
Get yourself a fork brace - it will make a huge difference to braking power, and stop the front twisting under heavy brakes. I'm running the stock disc/caliper, and had a noticeable improvement after installing the fork brace.
I like the idea, but only because it would allow me to mount a road style fender. I haven't experienced the fork twisting you and others have mentioned, I suppose because the raised forks provide less of a lever arm to act against forks @ the lower triple.

Quote:
Do you know of any 4 pot calipers which are a direct swap for the XT's front caliper? I find i get a lot of caliper flex, and a better caliper I think would make a difference to power and feel. I have not yet gone the oversized disc route, but once i do i'd still like to use the stock caliper or an equivalent, as i don't really have the skills to machine a custom caliper bracket. EBC make a 310mm oversized disc kit for the XT which includes a bracket, which I will probably get when the funds allow.
I don't know of a bolt on 4-pot and I imagine there isn't one due to clearance with the spokes.

When you say you get caliper flex, do you believe the "C" part of the caliper is flexing? Does the pad tell you this? If so I think you have an awesome brake line!!

Do you have a part number or link for the 310mm kit? I have looked for something like this, to no avail. The caliper bracket I run to fit a 298mm 1998-2003 R1 left side rotor (MD2074*) seems to have been a one off. I can't find a second one for experimentation. By the way, the difference in braking from stock to 298mm rotor is tremendous!

I also can't seem to find a Yamaha part number to purchase the slide pins that the caliper mounts to. So having a second brake setup ready to "clean swap" at the track seems out of the question for now.

Justin

ps Here's a shot of the setup before rebuilding the caliper..

netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #1563
cuvy
Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Phil, no problems with fender clearance. As you suggest the additional ~2" clearance from 21 to 17" greatens the gap. You'll bottom out the fork against the lower triple before you hit the fender. For reference my forks are raised > 3" in triples and have not bottomed out at the track. Though this is with new springs and heavier 15W fork oil.
Good point - I wouldn't be able to mount a fork brace if that wasn't the case. Since i've got MX bars I'll only be able to raise them a bit, but i think i'll give it a go - should quicken up the steering even more

Quote:
I like the idea, but only because it would allow me to mount a road style fender. I haven't experienced the fork twisting you and others have mentioned, I suppose because the raised forks provide less of a lever arm to act against forks @ the lower triple.
another good point!

Quote:
I don't know of a bolt on 4-pot and I imagine there isn't one due to clearance with the spokes.

When you say you get caliper flex, do you believe the "C" part of the caliper is flexing? Does the pad tell you this? If so I think you have an awesome brake line!!
Yeah, it is flex of the body of the caliper, or the C part. I run fairly standard HEL stainless braided brake lines with the 1/2" master cylinder. I only see flex when i squeeze really hard, which unfortunately is required for stoppies with my current disc setup. I think i'll go the oversized disc kit before messing with calipers

Quote:
Do you have a part number or link for the 310mm kit? I have looked for something like this, to no avail. The caliper bracket I run to fit a 298mm 1998-2003 R1 left side rotor (MD2074*) seems to have been a one off. I can't find a second one for experimentation. By the way, the difference in braking from stock to 298mm rotor is tremendous!
EBC make kits as described here. seems they are actually 320mm, which isn't a bad thing, although i hear 310 is a better size since it makes the front wheel a lot easier to get off.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/ebc_brake_rotors.html

i enquired with this ebay seller who said a kit for the XT was available, but didn't give a part number. i imagine anyone who stocks them should be able to look up a part number for you.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/justb...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

now you've got me all excited about oversized discs and I'll have to save up some money to get one! (un)fortunately i've got several months, since i'm still on the mend from a fuckwit running into me.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #1564
acupuncture4u
Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer: 1,372
2 questions-

Is there another air filter that will work for an 87 XT? KTM makes one for $75 but I'd like a cheaper alternative if possible.

Also what kind of back rack, pannier system can go on my bike??

Thanks,

Dustin

How is your Heart Health
acupuncture4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #1565
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Acupuncture,over here this bloke sells everything for XT600's; http://www.davidlambeth.co.uk/ .
I bought my airfilter from him along with a load of other parts,he's got a shop on Ebay but I've just searched on there & can't see anything listed by him.
There's also Ebay Europe,loads of stuff on there
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #1566
cuvy
Adventurer

rack attachment points and their strength?

I'm looking at building a simple rack for a tailbag, and wondering what experiences others have had with rack attachment points. The plan is a small tailpack for toolkit, spares, lunch etc when commuting and for daytrips, and a duffel bag strapped to the seat for longer (2-3 days) trips. I've got a 96 XT6, and see the possible attachment points as the grab handles (two separate points) and the indicator mounts.

My question is, how much weight can these hold without bending/cracking? I was planning on using either mild steel tubing or aluminium angle. Is there any need for reinforcement, and if so, how?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #1567
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Mine attaches to thoose exact points. The yamaha rack says max 5kg, but im pretty sure thats waaay on the safe side, no lawsuits and stuff like that.

I've used mine with a bag on, for toolkit, mini compresser, chainlock and stuff, easely 10+kg. I also strap a sportsbag with clothes and stuff on it from time to time.

Sounds like thats you're going for. If you wanna make it real sturdy, yoiu can weld/mount a piece of metal under the rearfneder and attach it to the fram, and use that as support for the rack.

Mine is the original rack, modified:

Pic: http://peecee.dk/uploads/032010/Rack.jpg

JensEskildsen screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 11:15 AM
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #1568
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
My question is, how much weight can these hold without bending/cracking? I was planning on using either mild steel tubing or aluminium angle. Is there any need for reinforcement, and if so, how?

Thanks,
Phil
Go round bar Phil, have a read of this page of Ron`s rack he built (nice job).

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #1569
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Thumb Air Filter for Your XT 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncture4u
2 questions-

Is there another air filter that will work for an 87 XT? KTM makes one for $75 but I'd like a cheaper alternative if possible.

Also what kind of back rack, pannier system can go on my bike??

Thanks,

Dustin
Dustin, Look over in E-bay land. Theres a "Twin-Air" filter for $14.95 plus shipping. Or theres a "Uni-Filter" for your XT 600 for $19.95 plus shipping.
I have a Uni-Filter right now in my bike. Works Great!! ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #1570
amc3604me
n00b

Oddometer: 3
No Spark on my 93 xt600

I was hoping maybe somebody could help me out on the procedure to check the ignition components on my 93 xt600 The red wire with the white stripe is getting 11 volts on my voltmeter and the orange wire is getting voltage too. Any help would be much appreciated. The bike started up fine and i was running it on and off for about 5 mins and then it just quit. Ive tried running a jumper wire from the battery to the red and white stripe side of the coil with no luck. and ive also tried 3 different spark plugs. Im mechanically inclined and know a little about electrical (the basics) but its not my strong suit.
P.S. this might be a stupid question but what is the REV. light on my dash?
amc3604me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #1571
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Rev light should go on when overreving the engine (rpm's in the redline) as far as I know.

Cant help with the other stuff tho, sorry.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #1572
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc3604me
I was hoping maybe somebody could help me out on the procedure to check the ignition components on my 93 xt600 The red wire with the white stripe is getting 11 volts on my voltmeter and the orange wire is getting voltage too. Any help would be much appreciated. The bike started up fine and i was running it on and off for about 5 mins and then it just quit. Ive tried running a jumper wire from the battery to the red and white stripe side of the coil with no luck. and ive also tried 3 different spark plugs. Im mechanically inclined and know a little about electrical (the basics) but its not my strong suit.
P.S. this might be a stupid question but what is the REV. light on my dash?
You've already checked the plug; some other things to check (in order of easiest to hardest):

-Battery
-Plug cap and wire end
-Coil

Check the voltage at the battery, with ignition off but still connected. What do you see?

It's not uncommon for the XT's spark plug wires to corrode at the cap. You can even unscrew the spark plug cap (lefty loosey) and check its resistance with a multimeter. Depending on what you find, you may decide to clean and reterminate a bit back on the plug wire.

From the manual:

If battery, plug, and cap look good the next easiest test is the coil:

GLUCK!

netjustin screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 12:26 PM
Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #1573
amc3604me
n00b

Oddometer: 3
netjustin, thanks so much thats exactly what i was lookin for, perfect. Im heading to utah for the week but will have to wrench when i get home.
Thanks
amc3604me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1574
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc3604me
netjustin, thanks so much thats exactly what i was lookin for, perfect. Im heading to utah for the week but will have to wrench when i get home.
Thanks
Good deal. Don't forget to let us know what you tried and what worked!! Have a safe trip.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #1575
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
It's warming up and everone else is riding, and I'm ...

.... doing a top end job. Of course now I wish I'd done this over the winter. Kept thinking I'd be able to ride more over the winter, so I thought I'd wait until it was nice out and I could ride my Nighthawk while the XT was under the knife.

1990 KX250
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote