User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #1651
dirtyrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Broken kick start on 0n 86 or 43f engine

Is anyone aware of any motorcycle of any type that has a kick start that will fit an 86 xt 600. I broke the lower part ( the piece that clamps around the shaft and holds the lever) on mine last week and the part is back ordered at the dealer. Just curious and any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Rod
dirtyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1652
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
XT600 Backfire on coast/idle

Yes, the problem disappears if I accelerate or give it more gas. It is only at low throttle openings that I notice the issues. I have cleaned the jets, but never replaced them. I have also adjusted the air/idle jet, but that does not help. I have considered new carbs, but would prefer to fix the stock ones if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
For #2, does the problem seem to disappear if you roll on throttle and begin accelerating out of that same coasting speed?

I had symptoms similar to these (all three) that all seemed to be aided by leaving the choke on. I wouldn't pull it all the way out, only part way; felt like about 25% or so choke would produce the best results in my particular case, whereas 100% choke seemed to "de-pep" the motor a bit. Rode it like that for a year before putting aftermarket carburetors on. The new carbs were not an effort to fix the stuttering problem, but they did in fact do the trick which makes me suspect my original carbs were causing the problem.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #1653
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrod
Is anyone aware of any motorcycle of any type that has a kick start that will fit an 86 xt 600. I broke the lower part ( the piece that clamps around the shaft and holds the lever) on mine last week and the part is back ordered at the dealer. Just curious and any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Rod
You may try contacting Big Ed XT Fan and see if he has a used one he would sell.
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #1654
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Chain slider installation??

Anyone know if it is possible to install the chain slider on the front of the swing arm without removing the swing arm? I picked up a used slider and it doesn't look like it will go on w/o removing the swing arm.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #1655
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtackett
Anyone know if it is possible to install the chain slider on the front of the swing arm without removing the swing arm? I picked up a used slider and it doesn't look like it will go on w/o removing the swing arm.
It's possible. Just be very careful, I did it with a new one so the plastic was still a bit flexible. This is how I broke my old one though, the plastic was old and brittle and I put a little too much force on there and it cracked in half. I'd try heating up the slider so it flexes better. If you're afraid of breaking it, only other option is to start taking parts off.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1656
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyrod
Thanks
Rod
Rod, I have a extra kicker that bolt right on. Its for a XT 600.
E-mail me for a price. E-mail:rwaterst@rochester.rr.com ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #1657
Toddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hello,
I'm looking at getting an '89 xt600 for $500. It doesn't run, but i suspect it just needs carb cleaning. There is just under 5000 miles on it and was last registered in '03. Other problem is that the fork seals are destroyed, how bad of a job is it to replace those? Im trying to detertime if this is a good deal fo the condition. Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Todd
Toddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #1658
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Fork seals arent all that bad. You need an airgun to remove the screws in the bottom, or a special tool to hold the big nut from inside, so it wount spin when you try to loosen the bolt. The special tool can be bought, or homemade.

The metal bar is around 25x25mm and is slightly grinded in the end to fit. It fits down in the crown, so it wont spin.

You could also weld a M16 nut on a rod, and use that.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #1659
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdave
Yes, the problem disappears if I accelerate or give it more gas. It is only at low throttle openings that I notice the issues. I have cleaned the jets, but never replaced them. I have also adjusted the air/idle jet, but that does not help. I have considered new carbs, but would prefer to fix the stock ones if possible.
The YDIS carb has an enricherner circuit. (small diaphram on the side) If it is plugged inside it will make the XT600 backfire. Its made to richen the closed throttle system.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #1660
peak

Oddometer: 35
up next: KICKBACK!

I just posted a new thread in the Thumpers forum, thought I'd link to it here for increased exposure.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569827

89 XT.
Particularly susceptible to kickback?
how does the decomp. lever/valve work?
would/could it help? how?
can I operate it manually?
if its not obvious, I'm-a-learning...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #1661
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 917
Quick question for the group.....
Will a motor from a later model, say 89/90 XT fit into an 87 tenere frame. Do all motors use the swingarm mounting bolt as a rear engine mount ?

Cheers
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #1662
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,443
All the engines will fit in the different frames - the main differences are the ign and charging systems,you will need to use the complete system for that particular engine,if it is different of course.Little bits and pieces like Tach or not,oil lines,carb stubs etc can give small headaches.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #1663
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
All the engines will fit in the different frames - the main differences are the ign and charging systems,you will need to use the complete system for that particular engine,if it is different of course.Little bits and pieces like Tach or not,oil lines,carb stubs etc can give small headaches.
Thanks Motu.
Yesterday the Missus tenere nipped the piston, I pulled the top end off today and it looks like another re-bore and o.s. piston are needed. This will be the 3rd top end rebuild in just over a year.
I think the rings didn't bed in this time, leading to excessive crankcase pressure which blew the oil out which lead to a partial seizure.It's been an ongoing saga with this bike since day one.
Just looking to buy a later model, one with a wet sump, none of this remote reservoir stuff which is a p.i.t.a. and use the whole engine and what ever else is required. Also is it possible to put an electric start on a late model kick s tart only engine
Poor girl was in tears when she thought she may lose her Tenere
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #1664
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu
Interesting comment, motu. Does this carry over to the TT line of engines?
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #1665
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Kick back comment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak
up next: KICKBACK!

89 XT.
Particularly susceptible to kickback?
how does the decomp. lever/valve work?
would/could it help? how?
can I operate it manually?
if its not obvious, I'm-a-learning...

A few hundred miles after a top end rebuild, my 86 xt600 began being harder to kick. I attributed it to the rings seating and giving me an increased compression.

However, I checked the play in my decompression lever and there was a ton of play (not the recommended 0.5 mm). So, I pulled the cover from the lower end of the cable and the lever was unbolted and the spring was broke.

After some jimmy rigging and getting the spring to work i put it back together and adjusted the cable, and wow!

Apparently my decompression cable had always been too loose. I think I possibly could start it with my hand now! Hope I didn't get it too tight and endanger burning a valve.