Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #2626
threadbare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
parts bin engineering, the trick is learning the code, i think the part number shows what model the part was first used on.as for your model it would be the first three digits of your engine number... i think. My 90 is a 3uy and my cylinder says 3aj. I use the parts fiche at boats.net for cross ref. if you click on your part it will show what other models that part was used on.like the cush drive rubbers are used on a late model 250 virago and so on.we realy need a thread that shares this stuff, and a list of parts that we can trade. Good luck with your build Tom and when you get it done we will have to go for a ride.
Adam
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #2627
BigRob 63
Get Dirty

Oddometer: 14
My 90 xt600

I have had her a month or so ,
Shes MUCH better off road than my old 1150gsa .
Attached Images

BigRob 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #2628
BigRob 63
Get Dirty

Another picture of my 90 xt

Out playing
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #2629
BigRob 63
Get Dirty

me again

typical british lane
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #2630
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Oh but what about the F800 GS

I have had her a month or so ,
Shes MUCH better off road than my old 1150gsa

Do yourself a favor then and don't test ride the F800 GS. I do not have a lot of dirt experience but I can tell you that out here in the desert the F800 GS works as good or better than my ol XT600 in soft sand and the whoop dees. It is a world of difference onroad. The F800 GS is like the bastard child of my ol DL650 and the XT600. Not as good on the road as the VStrom but way better offroad. My XT600 is not leaving the garage any day soon though. It just looks cooler that the beemer.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #2631
Pawlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScramblerTom View Post
on the airbox it reads 43F and on the cylinder it reads 34L

What the heck?

has the engine been swapped out or is this normal parts sharing at the Yami factory?

you can see pics of the bikes at my rebuild - see the link in my signature.

Thanks
To answer your question Tom "What have I got?"

You have a 43F. 1st generation xt600. Some significant changes came into effect in 1988. Here in North America the bike was mostly the same from 1983-89.......mostly not totally. European model changes came in at different times which leads to a lot of confusion when communicating with enthusiasts/suppliers in europe.

My bike is a 1986 as well and suffers from the same confusing markings. airbox is 43f, head 34L, dipstick 34L ect. As a previous poster stated a bit of parts bin engineering.

good luck with it!

Pawlie
Pawlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #2632
Pawlie
Adventurer

Carb spares???

So my XT is now approaching 25 years of age. 1986 XT 600 N. American model 43F

I've owned it for the last 15 yrs. (about 50K km on the clock) Always has run good. I've never touched the carb. Bike seems to be gradually running richer.

From speaking to others and snooping around the internet it seems this rich condition is often symtomatic of an ageing machine. I have been told this can often be cured by a new needle and seat. Wear on these parts are often imperceptable to the eye bla bla bla. It all makes sense, so I figured while I had the carb out I might throw in a needle and seat to freshen up the innards. Cued up the online parts thingy only to discover these parts have been discontinued by Yamaha!

Are there aftermarket kits for this thing? Kedo is not an option (too long a wait) I wanna ride.

Is there a secret rebuilder tucked away with a secret stash?

Am I S.O.L?

Thanks for your helpful tips.

Pawlie
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #2633
Richzrx12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Big Rob - Nice pics there mate, Christ they look good covered in muck! Did the bike come with the Acerbis tank already fitted?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #2634
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Carb parts

Pawlie,I have a worn needle on my 43F & as you mention,Yamaha do'nt hold spares for them. My solution is not ideal but what I did was buy a NOS needle assembly for a tenere on Ebay.
Obviously as the tenere runs a different airbox the needles wrong for the 43F but I'm hoping I can tune it by raising/dropping the needle on the grooves,at least the new needle has a constant taper,whereas the original needle's full of wear ridges.
I have'nt fitted it yet as the bike runs good enough with the worn needle but smells a little rich.
These engines are just workhorses not fine tuned two-stroke race engines so I'm optimistic my bodge will work.
Mark
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 AM   #2635
BigRob 63
Get Dirty

Xt 600

Yes she came as you see her Acerbis tank, lazer produro pipe .
She also had the enduro tyre on the front god its good off road where the old gs would slide around the xt just goes where i point it .
I am hopefully taking her to sailsbury plain in a couple of weeks i will post some picks .
This is my first single i thought i would not like it as much as the gs but i love it .
Mind you she is running a little rough it was standing for a year before i got her .
How easy are the carbs to get off i think they could do with a clean.

Rob
Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #2636
ScramblerJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
My XT600

Hey all! After some great help/info/advice from all of you, here's a pic of my '85 XT600....

I bought 'er for $650 and thus far have made the following upgrades: I added a Clarke tank to replace the slightly rusty and leaking stocker, I put Shinko 700 tires on both ends (world of difference!), replaced the front fender with an Acerbis supermoto unit, painted the side panels semi-gloss white and did some minor maintenance.

She's not finished yet, but I've been making my 70+ mile round trip commute on her and she runs like a champ.

Thanks again for all the help and info!
Attached Images

ScramblerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #2637
BigRob 63
Get Dirty

Xt 600 v 800 gs

Hi Ratchdaddy i took the 1150gsa off road a lot and found really if you pointed it some where i could get it there .

I must admit a friend of mine has bought a 800gs and put tkcs on it ,
It looks like it would be a lot more manageable off road than the 1150
But and this is a big but i dont think it would take the punishment as well as a older bike .
Be it a 1150 or the xt, i honestly think i could take the xt anywhere and not worry about dropping it,
but the gs has too much plastic fittings panels etc to take the punishment.
Unless of course you throw the touratech catalogue at it .
This is my old gs which would take this sort of punishment all day this was the only time i actually damaged it broke the rear light lens and numberplate ;.While playing in wales.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #2638
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Rather you than me picking up that BM
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #2639
Pawlie
Adventurer

Mark,
Thanks for the response about the carb.

I guess I have a bit more research to do. Did you replace the seat as well. I hear the needle/seat often wear as a pair.

cheers,

Pawlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.F View Post
Pawlie,I have a worn needle on my 43F & as you mention,Yamaha do'nt hold spares for them. My solution is not ideal but what I did was buy a NOS needle assembly for a tenere on Ebay.
Obviously as the tenere runs a different airbox the needles wrong for the 43F but I'm hoping I can tune it by raising/dropping the needle on the grooves,at least the new needle has a constant taper,whereas the original needle's full of wear ridges.
I have'nt fitted it yet as the bike runs good enough with the worn needle but smells a little rich.
These engines are just workhorses not fine tuned two-stroke race engines so I'm optimistic my bodge will work.
Mark
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #2640
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob 63 View Post
Hi Ratchdaddy i took the 1150gsa off road a lot and found really if you pointed it some where i could get it there .

I must admit a friend of mine has bought a 800gs and put tkcs on it ,
It looks like it would be a lot more manageable off road than the 1150
But and this is a big but i dont think it would take the punishment as well as a older bike .
Be it a 1150 or the xt, i honestly think i could take the xt anywhere and not worry about dropping it,
but the gs has too much plastic fittings panels etc to take the punishment.
Unless of course you throw the touratech catalogue at it .
This is my old gs which would take this sort of punishment all day this was the only time i actually damaged it broke the rear light lens and numberplate ;.While playing in wales.

Got to second that Mark.F, but then did you see Rob, i heard somthing to effect of 6ft4 between the eyes!
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote