Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #3886
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 180
Hey Buddaman have you tried to use teflon tape on the screw before you put it in? I had a stripped screw hole on that case also and I heli coiled it as others have suggested. However there were a couple of 84-89 right side casees on ebay yesterday.Kind of expensive though, $150.00.Good luck.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #3887
Buddaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Hey Buddaman have you tried to use teflon tape on the screw before you put it in? I had a stripped screw hole on that case also and I heli coiled it as others have suggested. However there were a couple of 84-89 right side casees on ebay yesterday.Kind of expensive though, $150.00.Good luck.
Nope never teflon tape just the RTV, Im going to try the heli-coil this weekend and ya thanks dude I did see the cases on ebay, Almost bought one but decided to wait on the heli-coil first, thanks for the input.
Buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #3888
Andreja
MotherThumper

Oddometer: 34
It is out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9NsoPJvN48

Today it was my first ride in 2013
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #3889
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi everybody!

Just registered to show off my Yammie. It's an '98 with about 24k km (15k miles) on it. I initially bought it to function as my commuter bike for the winter. That was about 1,5 month ago and in the mean time, I've grown quite fond of it

I'm now preparing on some light, casual adventure riding for this season. Got myself a lightweight tent, proper sleeping bag and self-inflatable so I'm pretty much ready to go. Except the weather here still sucks

I've got a question concerning tire choice: it's currently rolling on a BW502 rear and a TW47 front. Both are old and pretty worn. It's clear that they're up for replacement.

What tires would you advise me? I'm planning on 80% onroad, 20% offroad.
DutchyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #3890
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchyKevin View Post
Hi everybody!

Just registered to show off my Yammie. It's an '98 with about 24k km (15k miles) on it. I initially bought it to function as my commuter bike for the winter. That was about 1,5 month ago and in the mean time, I've grown quite fond of it

I'm now preparing on some light, casual adventure riding for this season. Got myself a lightweight tent, proper sleeping bag and self-inflatable so I'm pretty much ready to go. Except the weather here still sucks

I've got a question concerning tire choice: it's currently rolling on a BW502 rear and a TW47 front. Both are old and pretty worn. It's clear that they're up for replacement.

Nice bike :-)

I still have the original tires on my 600E but I usually get Avon Gripsters for bikes I use primarily on-road. They are good on the blacktop and last well. They do not provide good grip offroad, but the XT600E is no racebike anyway, one can just ride a little slower.

If your off-roading includes wet dirt you might consider something different though, maybe T-63 or similar.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #3891
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

The funny thing is; you won't find any positive experiences with Avon tires in my country. I have been nosing around on this forum and it surprises me quite a lot of people are running Avons.

I won't be doing any wet dirt offroading and I certainly won't be going all that fast on the hard packed stuff. I'm looking for a tire that will give me just a little confidence to ride on gravel-like trails with a decent pace.

I was thinking about Heidenau K60, Michelin Siracs and Conti TKC80 although this last one might be to knobby for all my bitumen miles (considering longevity). I like tires that provide a lot of grip on the wet tarmac.

Man this tire segment is all new to me. There is so much choice!

DutchyKevin screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 04:23 PM
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #3892
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The funny thing is; you won't find any positive experiences with Avon tires in my country. I have been nosing around on this forum and it surprises me quite a lot of people are running Avons.

I won't be doing any wet dirt offroading and I certainly won't be going all that fast on the hard packed stuff. I'm looking for a tire that will give me just a little confidence to ride on gravel-like trails with a decent pace.

I was thinking about Heidenau K60, Michelin Siracs and Conti TKC80 although this last one might be to knobby for all my bitumen miles (considering longevity). I like tires that provide a lot of grip on the wet tarmac.

Man this tire segment is all new to me. There is so much choice!
Ok, interesting. I don't push hard on wet tarmac, but the Gripster has worked ok for me so far. Until you try to ride some wet mud or grass that is..

Short review on the gripster:
http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/av...ter-tires.htm/
Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #3893
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Hi everybody!

Great looking XT
Go with Mitas E07 on rear or Heidenau K60 and a TKC or Mitas E10 on front.... job done
Have a look here
http://www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk/
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #3894
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Great looking XT
Go with Mitas E07 on rear or Heidenau K60 and a TKC or Mitas E10 on front.... job done
Have a look here
http://www.trelleborgtyres.co.uk/
Thanks!

That's an interesting combination. Looks like the E07 and K60 are more or less the same, just like the TKC's and E10.
Why this combination? Is it because the E07/K60 won't wear out too soon on the pavement and the TKC/E10 will provide stability at the front off road?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #3895
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Exactly I used this combo on my dual sport wheels on my XR400 and 600 and a lot of people I know on Africa twins are using it for large bike dual sport. The TKC or E10 front allows good grip on majority of lanes ridden while still being very reasonable on roads. The rear, being not such an agressive tyre, allows good mileage and comfort with bearable grip on all but the worst of surfaces ( to be honest its a bit of fun when the rear breaks away from traction , but the front is better being planted hey !!). All in all a great compromise for dual sport and sociable off road rides !!
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #3896
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,049
The k60 on the back is bad enough.
The k60 on the front is scary.
yamalama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #3897
De Buurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question

Hi there,

I'm preparing a XT600 for a five month trip from Alaska to Argentine. (i'm flying to Anchorage 25th of august)

I've bought a second hand acerbis tank for the bike. But I think there might be a part that's missing. I think there should be a bracket at the front of the tank (holes for the bolts are there) like on the bike on the picture (not my bike, not my fairing, just an example):

Has anybody of you got such a tank and is willing to make a picture of the front mounting for me? That way I can make a bracket for my bike.
De Buurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #3898
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
It super easy, I lost mine, and made one up. Its just a flat piece of metal with a hole in each end. You mount it to "draw" the wings a bit together, so the gastank fits snuggly around the frame.

I would guess if you take meassures of the hole to hole distance on the gastank, you will need to drill the holes on the metal so they are around 10-15mm closer together.

Theres really nothing to it, hope the above makes sence.

*EDIT*

Just went through my pics, and found one which might help you see what it is:

Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #3899
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post

hej Jens. Where did you get the engine bash plate?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #3900
MCLARDIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hi all

I have an xt600e that I ride everyday to work and back
and some trips at the weekend,great bikes

Cheers

Dave
MCLARDIE is offline   Reply With Quote