User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #3991
Buddaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Re: Removing exhaust Baffle

Hey guys has anyone removed the exhaust baffle on there bike? did you notice the bike running leaner or would it affect the bike in anyway, I had mine out for a week but seemed the bike ran a little hotter, IDK if it was the baffle or the hot weather we've just started getting here in So Cal? Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #3992
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 615
The XT600 Thread

I always felt as if mine had more torque at the bottom and maybe a bit less power in the top end. Have not heard of any issues running the bike like this other than hearing issues. :) That's why I'm running my bike with the baffle. I even like the characteristic OEM XT-sound better than anything.

+ in SoCal, the baffle is the spark arrestor as well. So Off-Road it is Forest Service requirement.

BTW: Are you checking your PM massages?
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #3993
Buddaman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
I always felt as if mine had more torque at the bottom and maybe a bit less power in the top end. Have not heard of any issues running the bike like this other than hearing issues. :) That's why I'm running my bike with the baffle. I even like the characteristic OEM XT-sound better than anything.

+ in SoCal, the baffle is the spark arrestor as well. So Off-Road it is Forest Service requirement.

BTW: Are you checking your PM massages?
Sorry dude just noticed the PM, I responded. IDK if maybe I have another issue at hand or if removing the baffle made my bike burn alot of oil running hot, In the 1 week with it removed I burnt through the 3/4 quart of oil in the side resivour, My bike has never burned oil like that and has only happend since removing the baffle last week, I put it back in this week and re-checking it while riding this week with it in to see if its still burning that much oil. Ill let ya know.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #3994
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Got your PM response now. You got response PM massage.

As far as the burning oil issue: please call me crazy, but I also had the feeling that also my engine burns more oil without the baffle. Indeed I venture to think that without buffle, the piston slap issue (which is inherent to most older XT engines), might be intensified, resulting in increased oil burning.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #3995
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Guys i have a question concerning my XT.

It seems to be running a bit lean. Sometimes it idles at 1200 rpm, sometimes at 1800 rpm. Both when the engine is warm. When I take off with more than half throttle, the bike stalls.

On a different forum somebody suggested the intake manifold (the rubber thing between carbs and cylinder) could be dead. I've sprayed deodorant and brake cleaner around the manifold but this didn't change the idling speed so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The problem pretty much appeared over night.. anyone got an idea?
DutchyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #3996
WeirdTim
n00b

Oddometer: 9
XT600Z Front Fender

Greetings, I'm in need of a front fender for a 83 or so XT600Z. It's white with a red trim piece that fits around the perimeter of the fender.

Any help in finding one would be appreciated.

Thanks
WeirdTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #3997
Buddaman
Adventurer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Got your PM response now. You got response PM massage.

As far as the burning oil issue: please call me crazy, but I also had the feeling that also my engine burns more oil without the baffle. Indeed I venture to think that without buffle, the piston slap issue (which is inherent to most older XT engines), might be intensified, resulting in increased oil burning.

I think we are right, I've rode the last few days and checked my oil last night and it was still full, I rode w/o the baffle for one week and it used all the oil in our side tank
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #3998
Buddaman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdTim View Post
Greetings, I'm in need of a front fender for a 83 or so XT600Z. It's white with a red trim piece that fits around the perimeter of the fender.

Any help in finding one would be appreciated.

Thanks
go on google and type in OEM Yamaha parts, Look through all the listed sites for the fender, It probably will not have the red stickers but you can buy that sticker kit on ebay
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #3999
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddaman View Post
I think we are right, I've rode the last few days and checked my oil last night and it was still full, I rode w/o the baffle for one week and it used all the oil in our side tank
That seems way too excessive, so much that I think there must be some kind of error with the measurement or some other intermittent culprit.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #4000
Buddaman
Adventurer

Quote:
That seems way too excessive, so much that I think there must be some kind of error with the measurement or some other intermittent culprit.
Ya I know crazy excessive, It did backfire and pop which is usually a lean condition w/o the baffle and it always did fill like it was running hotter, Only thing I can think is it was burning the oil. I have no leaks and always change the oil every 1000 to 1500 miles because i'm usually pretty aggressive when riding, I always let it sit for a few minutes after riding to check the oil and have never had that much of a change, Im keeping my eye on it now but have the baffle back in anyways.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #4001
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdTim View Post
If you are lucky you might find it on German eBay.de.

I would not recommend using it anyways. The wider profile red trim reportedly worsens the airflow to the engine. Your best bet is to use the TT600 fender, which has cooling fins.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #4002
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 199
Sorry to break it to you but removing the baffle is not going to cause your bike to drink a tank of oil. I have removed baffles , changed pipes , put on Super Trapps, straight through , Two Brothers and others and it did not change oil consumption. Its leaking or burning it. It can go by rings , it can Go through the block breather into the air box after the filter and get reburned. It can leak through the valve guide seals, but would smoke briefly at startup after setting overnight or longer. I would do a compression leakdown test and check you rings. Just giving you my 2 cents.
thumpthumpthump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #4003
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 199
Bought another xt600 today. Got a running 1990 with electric start for 800 bucks. Let the build begin. It has about 18,000 on the clock but is a bit rough.
thumpthumpthump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #4004
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Bought another xt600 today. Got a running 1990 with electric start for 800 bucks. Let the build begin. It has about 18,000 on the clock but is a bit rough.

You donīt waste time, do you. Canīt wait to see how this turns out.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #4005
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Thumb Super Moto?? XT 600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
What kind of bulid are going for?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote