steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
We love pictures.....
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #4007
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 181
yep! super moto. I have the 86 for the off road. Yea, taking pictures. Stripping down to the frame to repaint it. This is the worst suckiest part. I'll keep you posted.

thumpthumpthump screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 05:13 AM
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #4008
KOINZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb 85 xt600 project bike

Hi guys, I've been lurking for a bit to see what you've been up to on your xt600's. I just bought one about a month ago. Runs strong with 16k miles on it.

It needs a little work, but I'm getting there with it. So far I've replaced the fork seals, front pads, signal switch, rear tire and now I'm fixing an oil leak at the cylinder base gasket. I think it was the o-ring that was pinched around the cylinder that was leaking, but since I was there, I replaced the piston rings and valve seals as well.

I'm noticing a wet spot on the inboard side of my oil tank. I guess they do rot under that insulation they put on the tank. Anyone suggest a repair or should I find another tank?
If anyone has a spare they don't mind parting with, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.
I'll take some pictures of the latest repair work and post them up.
I love this old xt, thing is built like a tank.
KOINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #4009
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Which side is your base gasket leak on? If right side Its probably the gasket that seals where the oil is pumped to the head. Its a round collar around the oil hole. It does not come with a top end gasket set. If its the left side The gasket leaks around the cam chain tunnel. There are only a few 10 mm bolts and I have replaced mine about 5 times . I couldn't stop it , good luck. THe oil tanks can start to leak where the mounting taps are brazed to the tank. They are available on e bay. Or you can rebraze it ,or just use JB weld.

thumpthumpthump screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 05:14 AM
Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #4010
KOINZ
Adventurer

Gotta love the "known issues" trials and tribulations. I bought a complete gasket set, so I did get one of the rubber collars. Should've siliconed both sides of the gasket, that might help in the long run. I already bolted down the cylinder.

It looked like it was leaking rear center of the base gasket, but the gasket didn't look bad. It could've been wicking along from the sides. Previous owner siliconed the cases to try and stop it, so it was hard to see where it was coming from.

I'll try some jb weld for now on the tank since I don't have a torch to braze it and I'll keep an eye out for another tank.

I saw another xt selling in my area, but was too much based on the condition of the bike. I wouldnt mind having another to play with.

Thanks for the tips
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #4011
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Oil Tank? for XT 600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOINZ View Post
Gotta love the "known issues" trials and tribulations. I bought a complete gasket set, so I did get one of the rubber collars. Should've siliconed both sides of the gasket, that might help in the long run. I already bolted down the cylinder.

It looked like it was leaking rear center of the base gasket, but the gasket didn't look bad. It could've been wicking along from the sides. Previous owner siliconed the cases to try and stop it, so it was hard to see where it was coming from.

I'll try some jb weld for now on the tank since I don't have a torch to braze it and I'll keep an eye out for another tank.

I saw another xt selling in my area, but was too much based on the condition of the bike. I wouldnt mind having another to play with.

Thanks for the tips
I got a tank. Looks good, just been siting on the spares table. Yours for $20.00 plus shipping. BIG ED XT&TT 600 Fan!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #4012
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Sorry to break it to you but removing the baffle is not going to cause your bike to drink a tank of oil. I have removed baffles , changed pipes , put on Super Trapps, straight through , Two Brothers and others and it did not change oil consumption. Its leaking or burning it. It can go by rings , it can Go through the block breather into the air box after the filter and get reburned. It can leak through the valve guide seals, but would smoke briefly at startup after setting overnight or longer. I would do a compression leakdown test and check you rings. Just giving you my 2 cents.
I bought my '90 with the baffle already removed and I've had no oil issues either with that set up, or with an FMF pipe.
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #4013
KOINZ
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I got a tank. Looks good, just been siting on the spares table. Yours for $20.00 plus shipping. BIG ED XT&TT 600 Fan!!
That's cool. I'll pm you for pmt and shipping details. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #4014
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Baffle for '86 XT600

Does anyone in the US have a spare Baffle, silencer for a US XT600 '86 year model?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #4015
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveloomis View Post
Does anyone in the US have a spare Baffle, silencer for a US XT600 '86 year model?
You can get a baffle for your Xt 600 from KEDO of germany. BIG ED XT & TT 600 Fan1
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #4016
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

86 XT600 baffle

I was hoping for a used one, I can get new from Yamaha but very expensive. I may have to bite the bullet anyway.... I do not know where mine got off to.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #4017
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchyKevin View Post
Guys i have a question concerning my XT.

It seems to be running a bit lean. Sometimes it idles at 1200 rpm, sometimes at 1800 rpm. Both when the engine is warm. When I take off with more than half throttle, the bike stalls.

On a different forum somebody suggested the intake manifold (the rubber thing between carbs and cylinder) could be dead. I've sprayed deodorant and brake cleaner around the manifold but this didn't change the idling speed so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The problem pretty much appeared over night.. anyone got an idea?
anyone?
DutchyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #4018
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Check your air screw, Its acutally a fuel screw. Set it at 2 1/2 turns. The bike I just bought was doing that when I checked it at sellers. When I pulled the carbs and looked , it was all the way in. Haven't run it yet , still all over the garage. other wise it sounds like an air leak.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #4019
KOINZ
Adventurer

Got the bike back together. Posting pictures with an iPad are a little challenging, working on some others.

KOINZ screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 04:13 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #4020
DutchyKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Check your air screw, Its acutally a fuel screw. Set it at 2 1/2 turns. The bike I just bought was doing that when I checked it at sellers. When I pulled the carbs and looked , it was all the way in. Haven't run it yet , still all over the garage. other wise it sounds like an air leak.
So I have to turn it fully in and then 2 1/2 turn back out? With 1 turn being 180 degrees rotation?
DutchyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote