Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #4081
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 180
Yea, your plug gets up to 600+. I made a mount that uses the old gauge mount holes on the under side of the top treble clamp. I used metal from an old sign. If you order one get one with a longer temp line so it will reach the drain plug . It already has a screw in it.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #4082
c00l3r
XT Rider

Oddometer: 14
Star Relay Lights turned on

Hei guys!

I have a question about the electric components. My XT sometimes won't start (the starter won't turn) if the lights are turned on. I think that the starter relay (solenoid) doesn't release current to the starter motor.

If the lights are turned off it starts normally with no problems. I've tried replacing the started relay (solenoid) and it still behaves the same.

It's been like this for the past 2 years that I own the bike. I did about 15000 km with it.

Is this normal, should I be worried?
c00l3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #4083
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Does the solenoid click at all when the lights are on? Maybe there is an interlock preventing starting with lights on. Have you measured your battery voltage with the lights on and engine off. Is the battery old? Must be OK if it has been this way for 2 years.

Just tossing out ideas.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #4084
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Check and clean your electrical connections, especially the ones involving the start system. If they are corroded they may check as good but will not carry a load. Or they may require full battery power and can not share the current with the lights. thumpthump
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #4085
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Funny my issue was the opposite. My battery was fubar, so the starter relay would close and then would not open again and there was not enough juice to produce a spark. It would just keep grinding away till I disconnected the battery. First thing I would look at is the juice from the battery and if it is a couple years old, go get a new one.

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #4086
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Regretfully, I sold my '94 XT600 but I found a new in the box Emgo air filter for it in my garage. Anybody want it? Free.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #4087
c00l3r
XT Rider

Oddometer: 14
I've bought a new battery last year. Same time as the new starer relay (solenoid).

Even if the battery is almost empty, the relay ran the starter. It would turn very slowly, but it would turn. Also no problem with the lights, indicators or anything. Sometimes just nothing happens when I press start with the lights on...

The cables look like you would expect after 15 years. There is some corosion, not a lot. Will do a proper check on them in the coming days. What should I use to clean the contacts? WD40?
c00l3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #4088
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Sand paper, electric contact cleaner. It can be difficult to get into those connectors. Mine were so bad I replaced them with connectors from an old bike wiring harness.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #4089
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Wd40, a small toothbrush or simular, and airpressure.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #4090
peanuttom
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey all!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an new XT owner as of last Tuesday. It's been sitting for over a year, so I'd like some advice on what to do before trying to start it. There's rust in the tank and I'm sure the carbs are gummed up but it's been pretty well taken care of, so I'm hoping it won't take too much work. Will try to attach a picture. http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/cl...tml?sort=3&o=0

I'll need some fork boots and the nylon pad that protects the front of the swing arm. I'm looking at Bike Bandit for parts. Any other recommendations?

Edit: I got the link to attach, but not the photo. I read the photo attach thread, but it didn't make sense to me.

peanuttom screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 08:34 PM Reason: picture didn't attach
peanuttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #4091
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00l3r View Post
The cables look like you would expect after 15 years. There is some corosion, not a lot. Will do a proper check on them in the coming days. What should I use to clean the contacts? WD40?
Jim at www.easternbeaver.com has them. Look under bullet type connector on his website. He has many other goodies too.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #4092
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuttom View Post
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an new XT owner as of last Tuesday. It's been sitting for over a year, so I'd like some advice on what to do before trying to start it. There's rust in the tank and I'm sure the carbs are gummed up but it's been pretty well taken care of, so I'm hoping it won't take too much work. Will try to attach a picture. http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/cl...tml?sort=3&o=0

I'll need some fork boots and the nylon pad that protects the front of the swing arm. I'm looking at Bike Bandit for parts. Any other recommendations?

Edit: I got the link to attach, but not the photo. I read the photo attach thread, but it didn't make sense to me.
in photo bucket click on the arrow (share other services) button
pick the links tab and copy the second to last link
then paste here
like this:

P.S. nice bike
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #4093
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

You will want to Cream the tank. If there are no holes you may not want to coat the tank after removing the rust. E Bay is good. Check new prices first some people want way too much for some things and others are bargens.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #4094
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Tank coatings

Stay away from Kreem, POR15 etc. The only one that works perfectly is:
Caswell Tank repair. It is a 2 part clear epoxy. I have used it and it is great. Just follow instructions to the LETTER. Temperature MUST be between 70F and 90F for it to pour, coat and stay put while it cures. In 24 hours you can use the tank.

If you have existing holes, just duct tape them shut carefully, put in the Caswell Epoxy, let cure then peel off the tape, sand smooth and use filler to clean up the area, prime and paint as usual.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #4095
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
1990 Gas Tank

Anyone in need of a Stock tank? Cleaning up the garage last night and found it sitting on the shelf, almost forgot about it. Anyway, it is stock the OP I got the bike from had painted it black (and a crappy paint job at that) I replaced it with a desert tank. I have the gas cap and key for it as well. PM for pics.

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote