User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #4096
peanuttom
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the replies

I'm getting mixed signals here. Kreem, no Cream. How about the suggestion from a Harley rider I work with. A short length of chain, and a mix of gas and ATF to remove the rust. Sounds more my speed if it'll do the trick. I will probably hit up my local cycle salvage to try and get the bits and pieces I need to complete the bike.

Should the double carb thing scare me? I pulled my first carb last week with my TLR200. About as simple as can be. How much more complicated can a 2 stage carb be?
peanuttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #4097
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Carb change over

I have just fitted a Kawasaki ex250 twin carb and done a rough jetting job it's very close and it had made the world of difference to machine and it is very livly and spins up great, it has made my xt project come to life I had spent hours tuning the original carb. How many others have done this mod or the raptor carb mod and has any one got any jetting specs.

This is the best single mod I have done to my bike as yet

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #4098
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
How about a little more info on your ex carb swap. Fit , Jetting changes ,your altitude, How does the double cv carb work compared to the one and one set up, cable fitment , rubber boot fitment, carb to air box reach, etc.... Sooo many questions. I am interested in this swap also so share what you have learned. thanks , thumpthump.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #4099
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

I have been messing with the carb issues on my xts and have been looking at several options. Has any one tried to put 2 left side non cv carbs on an xt?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #4100
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Too hard on later xt's not sure on earlier ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
I have been messing with the carb issues on my xts and have been looking at several options. Has any one tried to put 2 left side non cv carbs on an xt?
I live a sea level and I have got 105 mains and not sure what the pilots are they have a strange mark and I have not fully investigated them yet. I have the mixture screws at 2 1/2 ~ 2 3/4 turns out and it's idling better than ever.

Little bit of cable mods to be done will post them on my build

Going for a test ride today will let you know how it goes

My crazy bike build
Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #4101
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Tank cleaning

Use Cider vinegar, fill up the tank, let it sit for a a day or 3. This will remove the rust down to the bare metal. For heavy rust, put some sheet rock screws in the tank (make sure you count them). Shake them around, add more vinegar and let it sit again. Wash out with soda water to kill the vinegar, remove the screws, wash out until clean then air dry. Now it is ready for Caswell Epoxy. If you don't, the tank will surface rust almost immediately.

I speak from actually doing this and it works perfectly. I am sure there are other ways to accomplish this but I know my method WORKS.....
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #4102
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
I will almost second Steve's method, only difference is I use aquarium gravel instead of screws, but thinks about it, counting the screws in and out would ensure nothing was left in the tank after a clean out. There are also some vids on youtube that use gravel and the wife's clothes dryer. I have NOT tried this as I value my life too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveloomis View Post
Use Cider vinegar, fill up the tank, let it sit for a a day or 3. This will remove the rust down to the bare metal. For heavy rust, put some sheet rock screws in the tank (make sure you count them). Shake them around, add more vinegar and let it sit again. Wash out with soda water to kill the vinegar, remove the screws, wash out until clean then air dry. Now it is ready for Caswell Epoxy. If you don't, the tank will surface rust almost immediately.

I speak from actually doing this and it works perfectly. I am sure there are other ways to accomplish this but I know my method WORKS.....

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #4103
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I have heard of attaching your tank to a variable speed drill, clamp the drill and run slow for a few hours. Yeah, gravel works too.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #4104
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
I have just fitted a Kawasaki ex250 twin carb and done a rough jetting job it's very close and it had made the world of difference to machine and it is very livly and spins up great, it has made my xt project come to life I had spent hours tuning the original carb. How many others have done this mod or the raptor carb mod and has any one got any jetting specs.

This is the best single mod I have done to my bike as yet

Great What year is your XT? XT600 or XT600E? How about some pics?
G600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #4105
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
Great What year is your XT? XT600 or XT600E? How about some pics?
Mine is a 91. Going to post a heap of work done on my project (link is in signature) I have been a bit behind in posting.

I have been thinking about the carb fitment to standard xt's but the two inlets of the xt carbs are two different sizes (52mm & 44mm) where the ninja carbs are 50mm the good news is that the ninja carb is 5mm shorter so I may be able to spin up a pair of adapters.

I think I can work it out but if I was to make them it would cost a fortune so I think I can post something if people are interested

My crazy bike build
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #4106
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

If the ninja carbs fit in the inlet manifold of the engine use the air box to carb runners from an 84-89 xt to go around the shock and use filter pods. If you heat the 44 runners they should stretch over the 50 carb inlets. I hope. How do the ninja carbs fit the carb to engine manifolds? They are 2 different sizes also. I have put 86 carbs on my 90 with 2 left side manifolds. The 86 carbs are both the same size , in and out. thumpthump
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #4107
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Thumb Ninja carb fit up

I have fitted the EX250 carb to mine and they fit straight up to the motor perfectly, However I have got a custom Airbox-inlet tract and it was very easy for me to do the required changes here.

Check out my build to see my fitment

This does not help the standard guys out though But I think I have a solution.

Because both of the inlet bell's are different sizes it will cause the most amount of problems. So one is 52 mm and the other is 44mm.

So my solution is this.

The Ninja cvk carb is around 5 mm shorter than the original carb by making a pair of rings like the NOSS fcr adaptor rings, I think that it would be possible to reduce the left hand 50mm bell down to 44mm, and the 50mm to 52mm side would be very easy to do.

http://www.nossmachine.com/fcr_adapters.htm

I think I could get it to work But I have a lathe and mill in my work shop, if you dont have access to these tools a neat fitment for this carb to a standard XT may prove to be a bit tricky. apparently there is a crowd making a cr smoothbore set up.

http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/th...r-XT600/Detail

(Click on the detailed description looks like you have to ditch the inlet tubes and go to pod's)

I think the bigest problem is the two different size inlets I may have a solution but it is not going to be cheap for any one to pay for machine shop time if you cant do it your self.

The final problem is the cable arrangment the ninja carbs have there cables on the other side of the carb. If you have a look at my build I have solved it and got it working smoothly. Click on the build link in the signature below.

My crazy bike build
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #4108
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Just picked up an 03 XT600E and wonder if dropping a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket say to a 43t it only makes it useable on long open roads, is it still OK for smaller back roads
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #4109
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Regaring Ninja carbs.

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
I've also fitted ex250 carbs on my 2003 xt600e.

The pilot jet is around #38 stock, i've drilled mine to 0.45mm, in an attempt to get rid of a small lean surge swhich comes as you get on the gas just after idle. Otherwise 0.40 should have been fine. I just think the taper on the needles are slightly of for my bike.

I've raised both needles around 0.80mm as I recall, and have fitted #116-ish mainjets (from memory). My bike has oversize headers, aftermarked exhaust, and opened up airbox, and aftermarked airfilter. Perhaps I could go down a couple of numbers on the mains, dont know for sure. Stock seemed slightly lean with snorkel removed from airbox.

The carbs bolted in quite easely, both fitted nicely in the intake rubbers, and the right airbox-to-carb-hose fitted aswell. The left was too small, so i used a larger hose, squized over the original hose coming from the airbox.

Both gascables was rerouted, and was bolt on the new carb.

I made a chokecable from an universal car handbrake-cable.

Hope it all makes sence.
---------------

Wide: i use 16-46 for my roadwheels (equal to the 15-43 you think about), seems like a nice compromise if you dont do much technial offroad, and find yourself more on the streets and open roads. The gap from 1st to 2nd seems a bit longer tho', but nothing too big of a problem :)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4110
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Regaring Ninja carbs.

From another thread:

---------------

Wide: i use 16-46 for my roadwheels (equal to the 15-43 you think about), seems like a nice compromise if you dont do much technial offroad, and find yourself more on the streets and open roads. The gap from 1st to 2nd seems a bit longer tho', but nothing too big of a problem :)
Cheers Jens I did read your post on the Tenere forum and guessed you would answer. The bike is pretty good on the 15/45 but its just a touch slow on the road when you want to go a bit quicker for a couple of hours. I used to do this stuff on my XR400 but goin with a smaller rear sprocket to give a pleasant road speed and then swapping the front over was nice and easy and gave good off road gearing. Mind the Honda front sprocket could be changed in 5 mins with x2 10mm bolts, Im not so sure the XT is so quick
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote