Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #4141
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 201
Everything except carb parts is on ebay. carb parts except secondary carb main jets and needles are available through bike bandit , cheep cycle parts , and other such oem suppliers. plastic is pricey. You can replace everything except side panels with after market. Ebay has side panels and are very proud of even scratched ones. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #4142
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Your 84 XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeyt View Post
new here and new to xt600 as today I got a xt 600 1984 in trade it needs help 28xxx miles motor has been rebuilt never installed. But it's missing alot motor mounts, bolts, side covers, plastics, exhaust doesnt look correct, carb looks shot. Still trying to figure out what else is missing. How many years do the parts go up or down. will any of those parts from the tt600 or any other bikes work. I'm hoping to not have to spend a ton of money and making this cheap as I can for now once I sell my ninja the money will kick back, I would love to get her up and running soon. Any help would be appreciated.
Maybe I can help a bit. eBay is or was flush with complete carbs and prices better than when I bought 2 sets. If I can find them, I have side panels for an 84. I have a front fender that is not broken but would need scraping to get rid of the oxidized layer. I have a used white part of the rear fender and maybe some other items. Let me know if interested.

New plastic is readily available from Yamaha. Check Partzilla.com for the best prices anywhere I have found. They are in Georga USA and ship pretty fast, usually in less than 2 weeks. I have bought a ton of stuff from them and never any problem. I highly recommend them.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #4143
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Hey guys, I was curious what some of you guys are doing/have done for the rear bag.

I have to make some nicer looking signal light brackets, and the only other thing left to do on my xt, is deal with the rear bag behind the seat.

I cant seem to find a DECENT priced replacement for it. I was pondering making a box out of aluminum, and bolting it up back there.

Now that Im close to teh end of redoing the bike, im getting more in a hurry and wanting to just bolt something on, rather then make something.

Thoughts/ideas/ links to your shit, or shit you know of, appreciated!
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #4144
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Just purchased a dipstick for oil that is a RR oil thermometer, out of interest at what operating temp is considered OK and what would be considered too high, it does have a redline on it at 120 deg ????
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #4145
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

I just googled Yamaha tail bags and found several at great prices. Amazon has one that looks stock but expands ti three times its normal size. asin # B009PMZ7AW.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #4146
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Just purchased a dipstick for oil that is a RR oil thermometer, out of interest at what operating temp is considered OK and what would be considered too high, it does have a redline on it at 120 deg ????
Ive had mine at 120 degrees at numerous times, no problem. Both interstate at summertime, and tight endurotracks get the oil up there.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #4147
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
I just googled Yamaha tail bags and found several at great prices. Amazon has one that looks stock but expands ti three times its normal size. asin # B009PMZ7AW.
Thanks, i checked that number, and it says currently unavailable.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #4148
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Sorry, when I checked it about a week ago it had 6 left. I was going to get one in a couple weeks. There were several others . Some different colors and an original replica. thumpthump
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #4149
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, when I checked it about a week ago it had 6 left. I was going to get one in a couple weeks. There were several others . Some different colors and an original replica. thumpthump
Thanks. Ive looked on ebay and general google searchs as well, but cant really find anything reasonable. My wife likes to sew stuff, but has never worked with that kinf of material, but might give it a shot.

Ill probably end up making an aluminum box for it yet as well, but I would prefer to buy something for a decent price and just slap it on there!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #4150
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

I rechecked and the red extendable still has one available for 29.99 B00ARHJAPM.Its on amazon There are red and blue ones for 24.99 from boliviaxport.com
Old 05-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #4151
cramarc
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi,

Been reading this post since I bought my '92 XT600E (3TB) one year ago, had a thunder exhaust fitted and everything rusted so here are some pics while rebuilding(top end and cycle-parts) it a year ago:

after powder coating rear link

the clamps

frame after powder

fitting pieces

mono-shock

bottom crankcase

cylinder re-bored 96 mm with new pro-x piston

head after seeing the doctor with new seals

So it's closed!

Some things here and there

Front fender on

Tank

Seat

Sorry I have no final photo I was in such a rush to try it! started at second push button!!

Here my question:

After some slippery at the clutch decided to change the full kit went with EBC dirt racer kit (new steel spacers and new friction plates and springs). Also had a spare new clutch cable that I fitted.

Fitted everything with the manual but stuck at adjusting the center screw on the clutch basket (the one in the center of the photo)

the manual says:

Quote:
My problem is that if I do so (aligning marks) with the bolt in the center of the clutch, then when I adjust the clutch I need to tighten a lot the clutch cable and when then the clutch won't "unclutch" when I press the lever with my hand! (even tightened at full)

So then what i do?

Dismiss the alignment (adjusting therefore the clutch with it's free-play 2-3 mm) should it be bad for anything having that signal diss-aligned?

I am doing sth wrong cause I'm getting mad at this!
cramarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #4152
markyce
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi

Hi, new to forum. Have 2 600e's a 1982 xt250 and my new 'patient' a 1985 xt 600. Does anyone have a pdf of the manual for the 84 to 89 xt 600. ? Also looking for a pair of side panels for the 85, condition not important as long as there are some fixing lugs !
Got the bike on thursday last week, cleaned out the carbs (god they were bad !), changed the oil and filter, put a battery in it and it started straight away on third kick after sitting for a year. What a bike !
I am in the uk (the new third world ! )
Markyce
markyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #4153
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Anyone interested in selling a secondary carb 130 main jet or trading for a 135?Let me know! thumpthump
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #4154
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I rechecked and the red extendable still has one available for 29.99 B00ARHJAPM.Its on amazon There are red and blue ones for 24.99 from boliviaxport.com

Thanks, Ill ponder a red one if I cant find something else. I did start making a little box out of aluminum for it, we will see how it turns out first.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #4155
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

CRAMARC, did you put the ball bearing in after the rod and before the adjusting bolt ? What you described is how it would act if it was missing. I just put a Barnett clutch in mine and I just turned in the adjustment screw until it touched and set the lock nut. thumpthump