Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #4201
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanaman View Post
is it normal to have about 1/2-1 inch of up and down slop in the rear swing arm?
As in freeplay? No not at all. You better check the bearings.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #4202
gingertom
Tom Holding

Oddometer: 14
Anybody know the widest rear tyre width you can go on a 2003 XT600e? It's currently 120/90/17. Could I go as wide as 140 depending on the swing arm clearance or will the tyre simply not fit?
gingertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #4203
vanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
As in freeplay? No not at all. You better check the bearings.

the swing arm feels tight.
I had the bike on a stand and could lift up untill it felt like i hit the shock preload
66 Honda s90
03 Suzuki ltz400
vanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #4204
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
I am using a 130/80 currently. There is room to go wider but you must consider the rim width. If the rim is too narrow for the tire it will roll the sides of the tire in and up. Depending on the tread pattern you could make the side tread useless or make the side lugs grip wrong in a knobby tire. Some of the tire pamphlets like for Avon will give you the optimum rim with and an acceptable mini- max. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #4205
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
I had the bike on a stand and could lift up untill it felt like i hit the shock preload

OK. Check the linkage and upper/lower shock bearings.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #4206
Pawlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600 View Post
OK. Check the linkage and upper/lower shock bearings.
Vanaman,

The 1 inch vertical play you are concerned about seems a bit much.

But..........

My xt's have had this (less than 1") vertical play in the rear suspension. All is well with the linkage and swingarm bearings. I think this is an "They all do that" type of non problem. Can't say for certain on a 1990 ...... my bike is the earlier 80's XT.....but I think this condition is normal.

No harm in checking/ greasing up the mechanicals though.

Cheers,

Pawlie

Pawlie screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 09:57 AM
Pawlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #4207
Abelha
Adventurer

Instruments Panel overhaul

I want to open the instruments panel on my 1998 XT600E 4MW . And when I took apart the Tach, I realized it wasn't so easy to completely open it. I took some photos to show you guys what I want to do, so maybe one of you can help me to it w/o destroying the thing :P

I want to access the Tach needle and the plastic that has the printing of the numbers, I plan on changing those, and getting some LED backlight behind the plastic (the dim light really bugs me). And it appears the outer housing is "glued" to the inner one by some king of black elastic glue. When I gently tried to pry it off I could see the glue flex but i didn't want to force it since the outer shell already has a small crack.

So my question is, do you guys think that if I get like a razor blade and slip it inside that gap and work it around it I may get it loose?

I added one picture to show a little metal piece that I have to idea what it`s purpose is. I guess its a "heatsink" to distribute the heat from the incandescent bulb, since that hole is for the panel light, and it stays on constantly.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Abelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #4208
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 621
Years ago I did manage to separate the housing by cutting along that line. Unfortunately the whole thing became a huge mess.

Today (if I was very desparate), I might try to COOK the speedo in the owen first at around 160-180 degrees. There is no guarantee this might work on the speedo, but I had good luck separating other type of objects that were glued this way in the past.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #4209
Pawlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Abelha,

I think you are right about the heat sink function of that small piece of metal. I also think it blocks the light shining into an area where it's not needed.

Like A-wind I successfully separated these pieces by carefully cutting at the seam. I was trying to repair the failed odometer drive. Lots of crummy little plastic parts in there. I eventually replaced it with a modern aftermarket electronic unit with a magnetic sensor on the disk brake.

Judging by your photos it looks like that unit may have been taken apart before. As A-wind suggests perhaps try heating it up a bit before attempting disassembly.

Good luck.

Pawlie
Pawlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #4210
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Bearing in the shock eyelet could be bad. Slack in any suspension component is a bad thing. Every time the susp pieces go from comp to rebound and vice versa things slam together. That is not good. Think about it.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #4211
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
The XT thought it would be funny to wrestle me on a sandy hill climb.

photo ScreenShot2013-06-02at85628PM_zps679ba75a.png
donmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #4212
Abelha
Adventurer

It seems my Tach is dead, needle won't move, it was like that before I took these pictures and before I even thought of opening it. Tried new cable also, nothing. I just checked with my local Yamaha dealer, and the price of a new, genuine Tach is (converting currencies) around U$400.00. For JUST that part I'm holding in the picture. Any of you guys know a place where I can buy that from? Or could I bother someone to call an US, CA or UK Yamaha dealer and ask them how much would that be?

I really didn't want to use a parallel part, here in Brazil that makes the resales value plummet.
Abelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #4213
LilYoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
There's plenty of tachometers available for sale on eBay in Europe (many on eBay.de) They go for less than 50 euros usually
LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #4214
450Cafe
n00b

Oddometer: 5
levers

Ok, i tried to do a search on this, but it seems you can't search a thread
And the thought of reading over 280 pages drove me to the fridge for a

So for a 92 Xt600e (Ozzy modle)

Are there an adjustable levers or reduced reach leaves available for the XT600e? (1992) I've looked on the web and can find only "shorty" levers. The "several" companies selling custom adjustable levers, don't mention the early, pre 2000 model bikes.
I remember being able to buy "dog leg" levers that brought the leaver back by a few centimetres, but I can't find any reference to them.

Any help would be great, i need them as i have fitted barkbusters to the XT and the leavers hit to alloy frame!
450Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #4215
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
My Xt had bark busters on it when I bought it, and no lever interference exists. Perhaps a different brand of bark busters will provide these results. I'd tell you what brand I have if I knew. Another alternative is to slightly tilt your busters or levers out of each other's way so the buster or lever is slightly above or below one another.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote