Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #4216
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
I think that all the tachs go bad and that is part of the reason they went to a dummy light in 1990. I got rid of both meters and put a trail tech vapor on mine.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #4217
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
I think that all the tachs go bad and that is part of the reason they went to a dummy light in 1990. I got rid of both meters and put a trail tech vapor on mine.
Did you go with the generic 75-601 ?
SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #4218
LilYoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Cafe View Post
Are there an adjustable levers or reduced reach leaves available for the XT600e? (1992)
I have short hands, and bought mine on www.kedo.de
they have a bend that is slightly more than original levers, and make it easier for me. They are not adjustable, though.

The kedo one is at the bottom

LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #4219
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
I went generic but you need to tell them it is for a air cooled dirt bike. The wire for the speedometer is longer and you will not get the adapters for water cooling. If you want to use the engine temp feature attach it to the oil plug not the spark plug as directed. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #4220
450Cafe
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
My Xt had bark busters on it when I bought it, and no lever interference exists. Perhaps a different brand of bark busters will provide these results. I'd tell you what brand I have if I knew. Another alternative is to slightly tilt your busters or levers out of each other's way so the buster or lever is slightly above or below one another.
I have bought a set of shotry leavers, not sure how short they are but for $20 i'll risk it. I would prefer the dog leg style or genuine adjustable ones, but hey, doesn't look like they exist.

Have a look at the photo, the clutch is the worst as it has no adjustment.

If i pull the leave back a few centimetres it work well..

450Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #4221
Abelha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Vapor Indicator

I'm about to rip all that old dashboards to make way for a Vapor also, Yamaha my lifesavings for parts lol. I would like to keep the bike as close to authentic as I can but c'mon, over U$1000,00 for a complete genuine dashboard is outrageous.

I was looking into this TrailTech http://trailtech.net/indicator_dashboards.html + the computer tho I have no idea which one I have to buy.

Since here in Brazil I need indicator lights on the dashboard, that one is my only option.

My question is, Will it work on the xt600e? 1998 model 4MW

Abelha screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 01:26 PM
Abelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #4222
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Cafe View Post
I have bought a set of shotry leavers, not sure how short they are but for $20 i'll risk it. I would prefer the dog leg style or genuine adjustable ones, but hey, doesn't look like they exist.

Have a look at the photo, the clutch is the worst as it has no adjustment.

If i pull the leave back a few centimetres it work well..

I remember watching a how-to-install-the-handguards video and the speaker mentioned to saw off the part of the lever that penetrates with the handguard if needed. Maybe that would be a solution to the problem. :) If you do so, it may as well be easier to pull the clutch in using just two fingers which, at least for me, works best. Alternatively, replace the handguards with original ones and you shouldn't have more such problems...
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #4223
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Saw Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
I remember watching a how-to-install-the-handguards video and the speaker mentioned to saw off the part of the lever that penetrates with the handguard if needed. Maybe that would be a solution to the problem. :) If you do so, it may as well be easier to pull the clutch in using just two fingers which, at least for me, works best. Alternatively, replace the handguards with original ones and you shouldn't have more such problems...
Just cut the ball off the lever. File the end. Your barlbuster will take the fall for you. And not into your leg, hand !!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #4224
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Whoops!! I wrote "penetrates" instead of "interferes"... Now it all makes sense, even to me.
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #4225
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Hell, judging by the photo, all that would be needed is to grind off plus or minus about half of the ball to clear the handguard. Still retains the hand positioning no-slip effect it provides.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #4226
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Hell, judging by the photo, all that would be needed is to grind off plus or minus about half of the ball to clear the handguard. Still retains the hand positioning no-slip effect it provides.
Ditto this - the inside of the ball is all that's needed to prevent sliding off the end of the lever
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #4227
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoto View Post
Ditto this - the inside of the ball is all that's needed to prevent sliding off the end of the lever
I have been riding over 40 yrs and have never had a problem with my fingers sliding off the lever. How does that happen? Especially with full wrap handguards. The ball is not there to prevent sliding, it is a safety measure to prevent punctures and still required in many sanctioned competition events.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #4228
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
No WHOOPS

Quote:
Whoops!! I wrote "penetrates" instead of "interferes"... Now it all makes sense, even to me.

This being an international forum, we all understand mis-translated words and read on understanding the meaning... Not to Worry....
Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #4229
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
I have been riding over 40 yrs and have never had a problem with my fingers sliding off the lever. How does that happen? Especially with full wrap handguards. The ball is not there to prevent sliding, it is a safety measure to prevent punctures and still required in many sanctioned competition events.
Interesting trivia. I still like my balls and don't want them cut off. A little shave is alright.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #4230
450Cafe
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for all the advice

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help I've talked to the supplier and he has agreed to take back the Ego protectors and replace them with the VPS protectors, which are a completely different style.

As you can see they go further forward and have better radius to accommodate the longer levers.

EGO

VPS
450Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote