Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #4231
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Interesting trivia. I still like my balls and don't want them cut off. A little shave is alright.

Anyways, balls aside, I need some advice on sand tires. I'm carting the XT600e to Arizona and New Mexico for my senior thesis research, and when I get there, it'll be my main source of transportation for dirt roads and some highway (which I care less about). My contacts tell me that for much of the riding on reservations, the roads are deep sand. I've done some deep sand riding with my 50/50 tires, and my lack of skill tells me I need all the help from some rubber that I can get.
Oh if someone has a spare set of rims and knobby tires they're looking to get rid of, even better. Even better those sweet gold ones from earlier XTs.
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #4232
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Due to failure by rust to the OE exhaust, I'm looking into buying a complete exhaust system and given the chance, I'm primarily interested in reducing the bikes weight. Do you have any suggestions except for the G.P.R. of which I am aware of? I also keep in my mind the sound, which I don't want to be extremely loud/not-road legal...
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #4233
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 181
KOSA what year bike do you have?
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #4234
Kosa
Adventurer

Oh yes, I forgot to mention... It's a '01 E model.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #4235
450Cafe
n00b

Oddometer: 5
What's with this forum

I posted a reply with photos 3 days ago, got a reply when posting that a GodMod had to check it out first, but still nothing what's the go?
450Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #4236
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Cafe View Post
I posted a reply with photos 3 days ago, got a reply when posting that a GodMod had to check it out first, but still nothing what's the go?
Are you using a photo host such as photobucket, or using ADV's built-in photo attachment button? The best way is to use a photo hosting site. If you're having a lot of trouble, there is an entire thread on the subject of how to post photos. Otherwise, that IS weird.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #4237
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
Oh yes, I forgot to mention... It's a '01 E model.
Same year as mine - I guess the big question is how much you wish to spend. Almost ANYTHING is going to be lighter than the stock artillery piece. I bought a generic mid-pipe, then had an exhaust shop graft on a titanium GSXR silencer with a custom flange. Big improvement - my neighbours were sick of the way the old clapped out stock one sounded, it was way louder at idle than the GSXR one, but when you are at half/wide open it makes a nice sound.
If I had the spare change lying around, I probably would go with something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-LE...-/310511973595
SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #4238
Kosa
Adventurer

Since I didn't plan to proceed in such a buy at this time, I have accepted the fact that it's going to cost me anyway. So I prefer to spend a little more to install something that really fits my criteria instead of just buying the cheapest replacement part out on the market. That's the reason that's led me in search for a complete compatible solution (header and silencer).

Therefore, I guess, the Leovince silencer solely not to be a solution. Thanks for the suggestion but the search has to continue...

Kosa screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 06:08 AM
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #4239
450Cafe
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Are you using a photo host such as photobucket, or using ADV's built-in photo attachment button? The best way is to use a photo hosting site. If you're having a lot of trouble, there is an entire thread on the subject of how to post photos. Otherwise, that IS weird.
Well there you go! looked today and my post had appeared, with photo's All's good.
450Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #4240
SmokeyB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Since I didn't plan to proceed in such a buy at this time, I have accepted the fact that it's going to cost me anyway. So I prefer to spend a little more to install something that really fits my criteria instead of just buying the cheapest replacement part out on the market. That's the reason that's led me in search for a complete compatible solution (header and silencer).

Therefore, I guess, the Leovince silencer solely not to be a solution. Thanks for the suggestion but the search has to continue...
Ok then, perhaps shopping at Kedo.de will find you a set of headers + pipe. Good luck to you.
SmokeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #4241
LilYoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
There's plenty of full sets still available. There's MOTAD sets available on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motad-Exhaus...ht_1476wt_1042), CRD has a stainless steel header that fits all XT, and also fits their silencers (http://www.crd-international.com/Col...tml?&langue=Ww), and more options that you will find when roaming through google results for "XT600E stainless steel"
LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #4242
Kosa
Adventurer

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm also looking at these head pipes from OTR, but I've not dicided yet... I guess my search continues. To be honest though, I kinda like the sound from the broken stock exhaust, but what worries me the most, is potential further problems. Really, what could go wrong? I mean, except for angry neighbors and police tickets... The only part that's missing from the stock exhaust is the silencer (the screw that holds it on was cut off due to rust and the silencer was hanging...)
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #4243
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Due to failure by rust to the OE exhaust, I'm looking into buying a complete exhaust system and given the chance, I'm primarily interested in reducing the bikes weight. Do you have any suggestions except for the G.P.R. of which I am aware of? I also keep in my mind the sound, which I don't want to be extremely loud/not-road legal...
Arrow is a good one with a nice thump
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #4244
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
Arrow is a good one with a nice thump
Nice XT 600!! What year is your bike?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #4245
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Cheers. Its the last of the aircooleds.... 03 year. I bought it after owning a 4MY twin headlight Tenere and then an 09 new 660 Ten, but I needed the money to do a load of work on my van. This came up, and I wasnt sure at first, going back to aircooled,enduro styled naked bike. A lot of reports Id read had it as "a bit prehistoric in the engine " and "slow" . After a few rides I was thinking... yup its slower and you get hit by the wind more. But looking more into it, it will cruise all day at 65mph and my newer Tenere would sit at 75mph, but the speedo was always out by 10% so really was doing genuine 68mph, and Ive fitted an MRA roadsheild which keeps the wind blast down... better than I thought it would.
Off road it is very manageable, and my mate who Ive always ridden with on his older 3YF 660, cant keep up with me as a faired bike is always more unwieldy on the rough. In UK measures, it gets 55mpg. It has a very robust feeling to it, and it does remind me of my XR400, when it comes to grunt.... but it has a very comfy seat and can eat road miles with aplomb.
The exhaust headers will need doing soon, and the OTR.de ones will be where Im heading as I bought them for my 4MY 660 and the are superb. It does need braided brake lines, as the brakes aren't quite there. But other than that, it really is a sweet bike
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote