Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #4246
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Braided lines wont help much, the brakes are just not state of the art. I'd save the green for some gas.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #4247
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Today I took a break from searching for an exhaust and spent a little time installing the footpegs I received from Bosley1980 last Friday. I'm very happy I ordered them and recommend them! Thanks Bosley!

Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #4248
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Cool2

What nice photos of the pegs! That would make great advertising material!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #4249
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Braided lines wont help much, the brakes are just not state of the art. I'd save the green for some gas.
They are not too bad standard. Just seem to pull hard once warm. I did braided lines on my dr350 and the difference was fabulous, so I will give it a go first

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #4250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
wheels

So....

After topping up the rear everytime I get a few minutes to head out for a ride, I decided it was time to break it down and see why the tube was leaking.

Anyone ever see the inside of a Tenere Wheel do this?

Seems like the Aluminum is flaking away, and in some spots it seems like it's starting under the gold anodizing.

Thoughts, comments, solutions?

19200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #4251
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
They are not too bad standard. Just seem to pull hard once warm. I did braided lines on my dr350 and the difference was fabulous, so I will give it a go first

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
I just did them on my '03 xt600e, cant really tell a difference. Sometimes I think they are slightly better, but I think Im fooling myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19200 View Post
So....

After topping up the rear everytime I get a few minutes to head out for a ride, I decided it was time to break it down and see why the tube was leaking.

Anyone ever see the inside of a Tenere Wheel do this?

Seems like the Aluminum is flaking away, and in some spots it seems like it's starting under the gold anodizing.

Thoughts, comments, solutions?

Yeah aluwheels can do that. Id take wirebrush and get at it, then clearcoat it afterwards to slow down the "corrosion". Here we call it alu-plague (directly translated)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #4252
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
I just did them on my '03 xt600e, cant really tell a difference. Sometimes I think they are slightly better, but I think Im fooling myself

Yeah aluwheels can do that. Id take wirebrush and get at it, then clearcoat it afterwards to slow down the "corrosion". Here we call it alu-plague (directly translated)
All gold rim XT600s will do that. Anybody get the rims off e-bay? For like $165.00 for the pair? black or sliver.
BIG ED XT FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #4253
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Bosley's Foot Pegs

I have a set on my '86 XT. They look great, have yet to ride with them as bike is not ready to ride yet.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #4254
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveloomis View Post
I have a set on my '86 XT. They look great, have yet to ride with them as bike is not ready to ride yet.
I had to try them out thoroughly so I put them to the test and rode some 70+ kilometers yesterday for the first time on them. I can tell you this: they are absolutely worth the wait!

I'm quite tall (2m) so in the sitting position I didn't notice any difference, but I believe that for the shorter guys there will be some difference to notice. What I enjoyed the most was riding in the standing position. Before the wide footpegs, although I have installed a set of 30mm handlebar raisers and a Renthal High Enduro handlebar, I felt very unstable and I couldn't control the bike properly. I was leaning to the front all the time but my biggest discomfort was when it came to shifting gears or using the rear brake... Plus when I was accelerating it felt like I was going to fall off the bike. In a few words, it was always a challenge but it was never safe!

But after switching to the wider ones - oh yes, it now is a pleasure. I caught myself standing up in any given chance, although most of the time I was riding in traffic on paved road. Even the police pulled me over and they accused me that I was performing stunts (although I didn't) but I used an excuse that worked pretty well and they let me go. A few meters later, when I was out of their sight, I stood up again. Accelerating, braking, shifting and just-riding problems have vanished! If it wasn't for bosley's footpegs, I would have chosen an other set, but after a lot of search (online and mostly offline) I couldn't find many options for the old and poor XT... As for casted ones - I just have my doubts in the event of a crash...
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #4255
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Foot pegs

That is a good testimonial. I look forward to using mine in the Colorado Rocky mountains this summer where it is OK to stand and quite preferable over the rough stuff.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #4256
LilYoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjob View Post
Here is a cross reference tip - shifter for 2003 YZ125 fits the XT600e perfectly. I picked up a Sunline alloy shifter for $30. Beats the heck out of the stock POS.
Hey y'all

Has anyone found a replacement shift lever that is not shorter than the originals? I stumbled on this old post, but it looks like this is a shorter lever than original.

I already have a replacement that is shorter than original, and it was working fine until I changed the pegs to TW200 ones. Now there is too little space between the peg and the lever tip for my fat feet. Which is why I'd like one that is as long as the original lever, but hopefully better quality.
LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #4257
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Has anyone found a replacement shift lever that is not shorter than the originals?
This may suit

Let us know as I'm thinking the same thing.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #4258
gingertom
Tom Holding

Oddometer: 14
Question Dunlop D606

Anybody had any experience with the Dunlop D606 tyres ?
gingertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #4259
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
with the latest leakdown test at a tic over 20% it is with great displeasure of announcing the passing and funeral for my XT . She will live on in others as parts are sold to fund her replacement . R.I.P .
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #4260
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 180
I have tried the 606s. The front had unreliable turning traction off road , sometimes its there and then all of a sudden its not. The backs were ok but wore away quickly on the pavement. People following me on the road said it was shredding rubber and leaving a trail. A lot of people like them but I would not buy them again. I have gotten my best results with 6 ply kenda 270s. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote