ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #4276
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 1,007
My 2003 (shoould be the same from 1990 and upwards) xt600E has 15/45 sprockets stock, and a 106 link chain.

As its been said, the masterlink needs to match the chain, did vx2 link for did vx2 chain ect. ect.
__________________
2003 xt600e 150.000km
1986 xt350 100.000km
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #4277
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Thanks guys, I ended up getting a shop to put on a DID o- ring chain that started as a 108 and I think I have 4 links left over after shortening. I count 8 pins so that equals 4 links right? If so, yes, it's a 104 now. I ran an RK chain on my Honda XL 600 that had a press-on master link with clip. Now I have a DID but since I didn't put it on, I wanted to ask if DID also has a press- on with clip style master link.i only ask because I had the old non-o- ring slip fit with clip master link come off on the freeway and almost left me stranded. So knowing that might help me out on the side of the road should I encounter such bad much ever again. I tried to find a spare master link but nothing any one of the 5 MC shops in Shreveport LA fit the DID. Worst case, I can still reinstall the Mac Guyver-rigged chain I used to limp myself 130 miles into town on, but knowing whether I'd need a press to install a DID master link might come in handy. I think my link press was stolen along with all my other tools on a road trip in 2008.
__________________
1982 4x4 longbed, a rolling daily driver work-in-progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #4278
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"
 
xtphreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Back in WNC
Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Thanks guys, I ended up getting a shop to put on a DID o- ring chain that started as a 108 and I think I have 4 links left over after shortening. I count 8 pins so that equals 4 links right? If so, yes, it's a 104 now. I ran an RK chain on my Honda XL 600 that had a press-on master link with clip. Now I have a DID but since I didn't put it on, I wanted to ask if DID also has a press- on with clip style master link.i only ask because I had the old non-o- ring slip fit with clip master link come off on the freeway and almost left me stranded. So knowing that might help me out on the side of the road should I encounter such bad much ever again. I tried to find a spare master link but nothing any one of the 5 MC shops in Shreveport LA fit the DID. Worst case, I can still reinstall the Mac Guyver-rigged chain I used to limp myself 130 miles into town on, but knowing whether I'd need a press to install a DID master link might come in handy. I think my link press was stolen along with all my other tools on a road trip in 2008.
Call a shop ahead on your route and get a DID rivet on masterlink shipped in and install ASAP.
Why dick around with a clip type?
Grab a bottle of bright red nail polish and paint the masterlink so you can spot it quickly and keep checking the clip while its on the bike.
Good luck

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #4279
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"
 
xtphreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Back in WNC
Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
You can use the head from a 85,86,or 87. the 88 and 89 had an extra bolt on the cam chain side. If you use the cylinder with it you can use the 88 and 89. You should be able to us the tt heads also. However the tt cylinder had a chrome or nikisal non borable liner. thumpthump
Any idea what other year head will fit my '95 XT600E?

Cracked upper motor mount.

Been watching ebay, but always see '80's heads

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #4280
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Cahah's Mountain N.C.
Oddometer: 203
Has anyone put the 11.5:1 piston upgrade in ?

If anyone has done the high compression upgrade please share the results. Pro and con. How was the power changed? Stock or after market cam ? Any heat issues? I am looking at this upgrade and would like some advice. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #4281
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
Call a shop ahead on your route and get a DID rivet on masterlink shipped in and install ASAP.
Why dick around with a clip type?
Grab a bottle of bright red nail polish and paint the masterlink so you can spot it quickly and keep checking the clip while its on the bike.
Good luck

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
Why dick around with the clip type? Because if it is also press-fit and clip type, it's almost as good as riveted. I am not able to afford new sprockets tight now so i'm going to have to press it off and back on again to install those in 1-2,000 miles. not the best thing to do with a new chain, i know, but no - o-ring chains suck so bad that they were wearing out way before the sprockets anyway. So it's not like i was putting a new chain on totally knackered sprockets, they're still pretty good. Goodenough to sacrifice a tiny bit of chain wear for.I just didn't know if DID has clip only or press on and clip like RK does. On that chain, I pressed the master link plate on too far and that allowed the clip to come off but the link never came off. I kept getting new clips just in case until I realized I needed to press it on less so the clip was getting some lateral pressure too. Then it stayed on. The only non- press master link that had a clip only slip fit master link was either a Renthal or Moose racing, I forget.
__________________
1982 4x4 longbed, a rolling daily driver work-in-progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 11:31 PM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #4282
Kosa
Adventurer
 
Kosa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post
Any idea what other year head will fit my '95 XT600E?

Cracked upper motor mount.

Been watching ebay, but always see '80's heads

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
Hey mate, greetings from Greece. Try contacting these guys - (don't forget to type the local phone code - 0030). This www.car.gr is a great online place for used XT parts. Only con is, it's not fully translated in English and if not all, then most dealers post in Greek only, so a little translate.google.com may come in handy here and there...

As mentioned on above link, 1990 - 2003 heads should all do the job. ;-)

Kosa screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 02:41 AM
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #4283
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"
 
xtphreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Back in WNC
Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Why dick around with the clip type? Because if it is also press-fit and clip type, it's almost as good as riveted. I am not able to afford new sprockets tight now so i'm going to have to press it off and back on again to install those in 1-2,000 miles. not the best thing to do with a new chain, i know, but no - o-ring chains suck so bad that they were wearing out way before the sprockets anyway. So it's not like i was putting a new chain on totally knackered sprockets, they're still pretty good. Goodenough to sacrifice a tiny bit of chain wear for.I just didn't know if DID has clip only or press on and clip like RK does. On that chain, I pressed the master link plate on too far and that allowed the clip to come off but the link never came off. I kept getting new clips just in case until I realized I needed to press it on less so the clip was getting some lateral pressure too. Then it stayed on. The only non- press master link that had a clip only slip fit master link was either a Renthal or Moose racing, I forget.
Up to you of course, just offering advice, but I stopped using clip-type masterlinks back on my GPz750 because the clips kept coming off.
That was RK O-ring chain, & I measured plate distance with a digital caliper.

That's why I suggested painting the master link so it's easy to spot to check.
Back then I used a cold chisel to slightly peen the head of the rivet pin, like staking, since I didn't have a riveting tool.

I don't know why you couldn't put a small stake on one side of the head, since the plate is a press fit, it takes very little to prevent it coming off.

Then file the side of the pin to remove and restake on reinstallation.

Or buy two master links.

Back before rivet type master links were available (yeah I've been riding that long), we tried all kinds of things to keep the clip on, it can be a PITA.

Losing a master link, especially on the highway, can waste your cases if the chain wads up in front of the counter-shaft sprocket.

Not to mention locking up the rear wheel if the chain gets into the spokes, etc, etc.

For several reasons, my XT500C (bought new in 1976) was always bad about flinging clips. I even cut a strip of beer can and put behind the clip and folded it over to retain the clip, found it easier than safety wire which was the "state of the art" method back then in enduros.

Good luck.

Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. Baz Luhrmann
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #4284
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,231
Well, I hear you, man. When using the calipers to measure plate distance while pressing on the plate, did you try making it wider and wider before putting on the clip until it wouldn't come off anymore, or did you just match the width of the other links? My master link is noticeably wider to the eye than the regular links, so I think the shop that put it on either knows what I'm talking about, or it is a clip only non press on link like the Renthal or Moose or whichever brand it was that I was talking about. I'll find out when I go to a shop that finally has a DID master link for my 520-V chain. I already scoured all the shops in Shreveport where I just was. I doubt anywhere in Abilene TX will have it so I'm going to do it in ABQ or Flagstaff.

I did have the link pop off the POS chain, but it went to the outside of the sprocket so the guard caught all the impact and my cases were unharmed. And thank god I didn't lose the chain, or I'd have been really stranded.
__________________
1982 4x4 longbed, a rolling daily driver work-in-progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #4285
Kosa
Adventurer
 
Kosa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 29
There's no real reason for this post other than sharing with you a recent picture of my lady! I am preparing her for our first trip from Greece to Morocco. :)

Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #4286
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
There's no real reason for this post other than sharing with you a recent picture of my lady! I am preparing her for our first trip from Greece to Morocco. :)

Nice!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #4287
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 5,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak View Post

For several reasons, my XT500C (bought new in 1976) was always bad about flinging clips. I even cut a strip of beer can and put behind the clip and folded it over to retain the clip, found it easier than safety wire which was the "state of the art" method back then in enduros.



Sent from my dRoiD3 with the help of 44 cyber-enhanced dwarves

Cut your retaining strip from a steel can instead of aluminum. It'll be 33% stronger and that "might" be the difference you need.
Did this for 23 years of vintage roadracing, only lost one chain on the track.
__________________
RR's Catnip Hill to Peoria ___Loopin' Seattle to WestFest
It started with some beers __1500 miles to the Dentist
Skeedaddle to Seattle______ A 30 year old on a Three Flags Run
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #4288
Kosa
Adventurer
 
Kosa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 29
One quick question for you guys: I'm looking into buying a leovince x3 silencer from off-the-road.de (together with their headpipes) but they seem to only sell it for the ttr600e. I asked them first, and they say that the headpipes and silencer fit together but they are not 100% sure that the silencer fits the XT.

What do you say? Do I have to make major adjustments and modifications to the silencer installing kit in order to fit the XT or is it just a matter of minutes?
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #4289
Kosa
Adventurer
 
Kosa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 29
Oh and another question too! Is a rear fender together with the tail light from a TTR a compatible replacement for the XT's kind of "ugly" tail or will it be a PITA to install?
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #4290
LilYoda
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
One quick question for you guys: I'm looking into buying a leovince x3 silencer from off-the-road.de (together with their headpipes) but they seem to only sell it for the ttr600e. I asked them first, and they say that the headpipes and silencer fit together but they are not 100% sure that the silencer fits the XT.

What do you say? Do I have to make major adjustments and modifications to the silencer installing kit in order to fit the XT or is it just a matter of minutes?
The headpipes are the same, since the engine are identical

The X3 is fixed by a collar. I assume you can place the collar in different spots on the silencer to be aligned with spot where you bolt it on the frame

The worst that can happen is that the headpipes aren't fully aligned with the silencer, and you'll have to grind it a bit so that they connect correctly. Not a big deal I think, but I'll let you judge.

But I'm not even sure that it will be the case, since the X3 is the "silencer of choice" for all XTs on the french XT600 forum I hang out on.

If you can wait, I could always ask on the forum.

EDIT: This one was mounted on a 3TB XT600

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...7/DT-3982E.pdf

Check with OTR guys if the downpipe from the silencer to the headpipes has the same reference. If not, that is the only piece you'd have to modify.

LilYoda screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 11:11 AM
LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014