Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #4291
LilYoda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Question

Has anyone tried oversized discs?

I need to change the disc (mine has been warped by the mecanic that changed the tires)

I'm hesitating between changing for a EBC or Brembo disc with original size (267mm, or 10,5 inches), or putting an oversized disc (320mm or 12,6 inch)

I have the hardware needed to mount the oversized disc, but am not sure of the result. Does it give a more progressive braking, or on the other hand is it more aggressive, and more on/off?

Since I have knobbies on my tires, if it's more brutal, I think I'm going to lose grip. If it's more progressive, on the other hand, it might be a good thing.

If anyone tried, I'm interested to hear your feedback.
LilYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #4292
mopped phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Breaks: You will get about 15% more braking power by the larger disc. (13% in comparison to the 282mm disc from 3TB model). Its good on the street but offroad you loose a lot of ground clearance on the front wheel. The break disc is colliding with obstacles.

LeoVince X3: The TT600 is using different header pipe. It is longer and needs to be shortened when you want to mount it on the XT. A lot of guys fitted their XTs with the stainless TT header pipes. As above said the XT600 4PT/DJ02 uses No. 3982E. The one for the TT600 should be No.5123E.

I am using the X3 (No: 3982E) with this header:

http://www.off-the-road.de/en/Other-...all-years.html

XT-Board (German)
XTravel600 Blog (German)
mopped phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #4293
LilYoda
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopped phil View Post
Breaks: You will get about 15% more braking power by the larger disc. (13% in comparison to the 282mm disc from 3TB model). Its good on the street but offroad you loose a lot of ground clearance on the front wheel. The break disc is colliding with obstacles.
Didn't think about the ground clearance. you can actually snag branches or other stuff with the disc?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #4294
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
There's no real reason for this post other than sharing with you a recent picture of my lady! I am preparing her for our first trip from Greece to Morocco. :)

Hello Konstantinos,

Your photos are so pure - like it very.

One question? What's the plate under the engine? own production?
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #4295
TheBaldReverend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
There's no real reason for this post other than sharing with you a recent picture of my lady! I am preparing her for our first trip from Greece to Morocco. :)

Isn't that luggage mounted a bit high and too far back? It might make the bike unstable, particularly if you're intending to do the tougher Moroccan trails.
TheBaldReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #4296
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Exhaust:
I'm not in a hurry, so if there's any more info about compatibility it'd be more than welcome. The guys at OTR say that the silencer and headpipes fit together. If connecting the X3 to the frame takes only a collar, then I don't see why re-positioning it wouldn't work, since the headpipes are made specifically for the XT and they fit the bike.

Bash Plate:
Hello Radan, thank you for your kind comments about the photos. The bash plate was bought from KEDO. I think it's a CRD but I'm not 100% sure. I can check it later if you'd like me to.

Luggage:
The luggage was my biggest concern about my last sort trip. It indeed was placed way too far back and high and it may look heavy too, however it was not as heavy as it seems. It consisted only by the tent, the 2 sleeping mats and below them two, a NF Terra 65 (lt) backpack that was stuffed with two sets of clothes, two sleeping bags, some essential tools (boy's toys) and some 10 little bottles of various lotions (girl's toys) ( ) as it was a 2-UP trip. What gave me the most headaches was the small backpack that you can see positioned over the front fender. It contained all the stuff that we needed to keep handy such as personal and bike's documents, mobile phones, tobacco and the camera and lenses. Even without the wind blowing, it made me struggle to keep the front wheel from shaking. That was the reason why we rarely exceeded the 100 kmh limit I had set even on the highway. For the trip to Morocco I have bought a set of Andy Strapz Expedition Panniers that I was afraid to use this time due to the lack of even a rudimentary panniers frame to keep them away from the exhaust and the rear wheel. I am seeking a cheap frame like Givi's or similar to buy and install but they seem to not manufacture one any more for an old bike such as the XT, thus leading me in making one. Maybe that's for the better as I'm already thinking for a way of making a frame that would work with a pacsafe net to lock the soft luggage to the bike.
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #4297
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
I'm using Wolfman panniers and made pannier racks from the parts they sell separately to make your own. They came out great. I am also looki. To either design and make or find and purchase pacsafe or pacsafe- like cable nets for m large rolie panniers or the expedition panniers ( same thing but bigger) that I may soon purchase. I've been going City to city and have 't found any situation sketchy enough to need to take the bags off and bring them with me except when I go inside for the night. I have another bag that has the bare minimum: a change of clothes and all my smal personal accessories. I'd be without rain gear, but the aerostich is semi waterproof and I'd be ae to change I to dry stuff at least.

So yeah, pannier soft be cable nets....

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #4298
markyce
n00b

Oddometer: 4
drive shaft oil seal

Hi folks,
got an 85 43f xt 600, I seem to have a bit of an oil leak from the drive shaft seal under the front sprocket...............bad in one way but also nicely lubing up the chain ! (and the driveway )
Has anyone changed this seal on their bike ?
If so is it just a case of pulling the sprocket off and prising the seal out and driving the new one in or do I need some special Yamaha 'pixie dust' and help from God to do the job ?
Thanks
Mark
markyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #4299
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Output shaft seal

Changing the output shaft seal is easy, Remove the spacer, plenty of room to Pry out the seal. Put a dab of sealer after cleaning the surfaces then carefully tap the new one in. Done it several times on various Yamaha bikes...
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #4300
LilYoda
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudu View Post
This may suit

Let us know as I'm thinking the same thing.
Heya

I decided to go the WR250F shifter route. I had read somewhere that they were a good fit for a 3TB XT600

Works fine, and a bit cheaper than the one you linked me to (yours was my backup plan :) )

Pics now:

The old replacement one, very short, and too close to the pegs now that I switched to TW200 pegs

The new one, much more space

Plus, it's affordable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290934741452
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #4301
markyce
n00b

drive shaft seal

Thanks Steve
I will post how it went
Mark
Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #4302
markyce
n00b

Piston rings

Dear All
I have a spare set of unused, genuine yamaha, still in the yamaha box, piston rings for an xt600.
The part number is
34L-11610-00-00

If anyone wants them pm me , I am only looking to get what I paid for them (20).
Thanks
Mark
Old 07-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #4303
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
any thoughts on this xt600?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/3924185251.html
looks a little rough but it could be a good deal.

also has anyone local or not ever dealt with this seller?
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #4304
Kosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Well, I don't know... I wouldn't go for it. Judging by the rust on the chain and sprockets, it seems like the last owner didn't care too much about their bike. So, if he didn't spend time to lube the chain, what else wouldn't he have checked? Even if the initial price is too low, will you spend more to restore it? And if you do so, wouldn't it be more preferable to start with one XT in a better condition? Don't know - just my thoughts.
Kosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #4305
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Tha ka. I already ruled it out shortly after posting.
Thanks for weighing in though.

Idealing looking for a 650 single Klr, dr, xr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote