User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #781
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
JT Sprockets

I received the maintenance records with the '95 XT600E I bought a month ago and it had a JT 15 tooth front sprocket installed in 1999 at 10,000 miles. I removed it and replaced it with a new JT 14 tooth last week at 23,000 miles. The sprocket I removed showed basically no wear and was very tight on the splines as was the new sprocket I installed.

Keep in mind however that the '80s models used a sprocket with 6 splines and is held in place with a splined keeper arrangement and the '90 - '95 has a fine spline with many more splines and is held in place with a big nut that is torqued very tight so much less slop on the output shaft. Apples and oranges.....

I also have a JT sprocket on my Kawasaki KLR250 which uses the same retainer arrangement and If I recall, six splines. It has been ridden very hard and I see no wear on the sprocket or shaft splines on that bike.

Just my experience, others may have different results.......
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #782
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,779
I haven't seen a late model motorcycle with the 6 splines like my 85' has, so I assume the 20+ spline output shaft is an "upgrade" and is engineered to work better. So, can you blame cheap aftermarket sprockets?

My output shaft is shot, but I'm still making it work until I can split the motor and start replacing parts.

I'm still very happy with the bike, put new lower steering stem bearing and new CR-HI handlebars on the last few weeks. 50 mpg! Plenty of torque.

Only thing I'd do is trade it for a new XT660X in Europe.
Attached Images

D.T. screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 03:56 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #783
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Sprockets

I've been maintaining and riding bikes for 57 years (12 - 69) and in my opinion JT sprockets are ones that definitely do not fall in the 'cheap' catergory. The machine work and finish are top notch. (And they are reasonably priced) Do a Google search after finding the part number from the JT site for availability and pricing.

As to the recent mention of hardness, I believe the Renthal sprocket website describes their sprockets as 'case hardened' and you can't get much harder than that so the hardness of the sprocket between the Renthal and the JT brand should be no different. The JT I just removed from my bike with about 13,000 miles on it was just polished by the chain and showed virtually no wear. I only removed it to gear down a tooth as I ride from 5,000' to 12,000' or so and at these altitudes the stock gearing was too high for my liking.

I have seen some cheap aftermarket sprockets that I would not put on my bikes but JT is not one of them. I have no interest in JT sprockets other that having very good experience with them and wishing to pass that experience along.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #784
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengo
I was just wondering what kind of oil you guys would use in a 1984 xt600. I could not find the 20w40 oil as in the manual i got some 10w40 will this be ok?
Shell Rotella 15w40 in mine.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #785
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Second on the Shell Rotella 15W-40. It is widely used in bikes and does not cause clutch problems like many non motorcycle oils can. I use it in my bikes. Some later bikes with tight engine clearances may call for a lighter oil, check your manuals......
Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #786
Greengo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thanks i was worried about the clutch slipping/not working with regular 10w40 i will pick up some rotella today.
Greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #787
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Oddometer: 499
i'm posting for a friend of mine who just bought a 1990 xt600. he's looking for some soft luggage, but is wondering how to mount it and not melt the stuff on the supertrapp exhaust. also wondering about general mounting issues. is the luggage going to flop all over the place if he can't find a rack system?
strongmendieyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #788
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinairflyer
I received the maintenance records with the '95 XT600E I bought a month ago and it had a JT 15 tooth front sprocket installed in 1999 at 10,000 miles. I removed it and replaced it with a new JT 14 tooth last week at 23,000 miles. The sprocket I removed showed basically no wear and was very tight on the splines as was the new sprocket I installed.

Keep in mind however that the '80s models used a sprocket with 6 splines and is held in place with a splined keeper arrangement and the '90 - '95 has a fine spline with many more splines and is held in place with a big nut that is torqued very tight so much less slop on the output shaft. Apples and oranges.....

I also have a JT sprocket on my Kawasaki KLR250 which uses the same retainer arrangement and If I recall, six splines. It has been ridden very hard and I see no wear on the sprocket or shaft splines on that bike.

Just my experience, others may have different results.......
Thanks for the response! Exactly what I was looking for...
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM   #789
Bowfin
Knobby Shredder

Oddometer: 111
TT forks on the XT 600..

I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension to TT parts for the extra travel and adjustability.

Will the TT forks slide into the XT triple clamps given they are 2mm larger in diameter?

Will the XT axle work with the TT clamps?

Anyone bolt a TT shock onto their XT linkage?

I'm hoping this will give me the few extra inches of travel I need and be a fairly easy to bolt on.
Bowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #790
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 499
I think that we all could use a few extra inches!

WANTED: Street Titled 1973 Yamaha DT3 Parts Bike
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #791
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Nop, not me, got plenty.....Dont ask the GF though.

Anyhoot, just added a stainless downpipe from kedo:

JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #792
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Shell Rotella 15w40 in mine.
+1

in everything, bikes and F150
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #793
georgej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
XT600 or DR650

Have any of you XT owners owned or ridden DR650's? I'm trying to decide bewteen an 89 XT600 and a '91 DR650,both are kick start only.clean bikes priced within a couple hundred of each other. How do they compare? I will say I think the XT is a better looking bike,red/white.
georgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #794
dirtyrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Been there done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgej
Have any of you XT owners owned or ridden DR650's? I'm trying to decide bewteen an 89 XT600 and a '91 DR650,both are kick start only.clean bikes priced within a couple hundred of each other. How do they compare? I will say I think the XT is a better looking bike,red/white.

I now have an 86 Xt 600 and used to have a 90 Dr 650.
The XT is a better bike hands down!
In stock form I believe the XT is something like 60 to 80 pounds lighter.
My XT with modifications weighs in at a touch over 300 as opposed to the 400 for the DR.
The Dr had a bit on the Xt top end on the highway but other than that the XT outperforms it in every catagory. Handling,acceleration,wheelies,parts availability and ease of maintenance.
Just my 2 cents man.
Rod
dirtyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #795
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfin
I'm thinking about upgrading the suspension to TT parts for the extra travel and adjustability.

Will the TT forks slide into the XT triple clamps given they are 2mm larger in diameter?

Will the XT axle work with the TT clamps?

Anyone bolt a TT shock onto their XT linkage?

I'm hoping this will give me the few extra inches of travel I need and be a fairly easy to bolt on.
If you get a set of TT forks, get a set off a 85-86 model. Disc brakes were on the 85-86 models. Or get a set of YZ forks. 43mm. 86-87 model.
You have to get the triple clamps off the TT Too.
The rear shock can be upgrade to a works perf.
The TT shock may bolt right in.
Hope this helps. XT&TT 600 are great!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote