Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #811
CR_TurboGuy OP
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grieves
Hello all

I have recently purchased a (dare I say it) Supermoto XT600 (pictured below), with the idea of reforming this urban hooligan into an ADV bike. It's going to take me a while and I may need to consult you guys, but I am hoping to have her ready for a big trip in about a years time.

I have so far replaced the oil filter, oil, s plug and removed the exhaust (that had completely corroded), this has exhausted my knowledge and now I have a question about silencers, mufflers, cans or whatever they are to be known as. The carbon Micron exhaust in the picture fell to pieces on the 130 mile ride home, now I am looking for a new one and have to keep costs as low as possible. Not a great combination....

Anyway here's the question; I have been scouring ebay and was wondering if it would be possible to fit an exhaust that is intended for a different bike, i.e. one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HINDLE-OVAL-RA...A1%7C294%3A200

I spoke to a guy in my local shop and he started talking about back pressures, that was where he lost me...

I'll be grateful for any advice offered...and for those of you that are still buying a 5 xt service manual off of some dodgy geezer over the interweb, it is available for free here http://www.xt600e.co.uk/

P.S. I know Josh from Iowa has already pointed this out but I thought i'd say it again.

P.P.S. Thanks Josh
You're welcome. Glad to be able to give something back for all the stuff I've picked up online.

That's a damned fine looking bike. Wish mine looked that clean.

Anyone have any suggestions for reducing weight on a 1990 XT600E? Don't think I'm willing to get rid of my big tank, but thinking that an exhaust might be next.

--JOsh
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #812
Mr. Grieves
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks guys!

I was a bit worried i'd wasted my money at first but am starting to think I may have got a bargain. I wish my bike was still that clean, the picture was taken before I bought it, will upload a bigger picture when it has the new exhaust fitted.

I've seen a couple of those Laser Pro Enduro cans on ebay but they have had 70mm and not 50mm pipes. Does anyone know if 70mm to 50mm reducer pipes are available, have scoured the web but to no avail. Thinking I may go with a CRD Ultimate Power pipe, does anyone have any experience with these?

Not a clue about the weight issue Josh, but would be interested to know myself, as for your air filter/box upgrade Jens, would you say it's a worthwhile modification?

Dan
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #813
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Dont know about the whole project, but as for opening the airbox, yes.

I opened the airbox and stock exhaust once, it gave more low rpm torque/power.

As for the whole system, dont know before im finish and have had it on a dyno. I'ts hard to set a price on the looks, but I think I've managed to keep the budget a bit down, with buying a second hand exhaust.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #814
sckoby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thumb My sweet ride

Based on what I have seen in this forum I have come to the conclusion that we are all XT legends. Here is my trusty steed.
Attached Images

sckoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #815
sckoby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Wink

Here is a better shot of the back. I have Andystrapz for the bike and the racks I made myself.
Attached Images

sckoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #816
americano
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello everbody I just stopped by to show my ride. I've had it about two years with supermoto wheels, but lately I traided my wheels for the original ones. I haved done a general tuneup: oil change, oil filter, air filter, NGK Iridium spark plug, neutral switch (which was leaking oil) 22€ a bit exensive I think and waiting for some new metzeler tires. Well hope I can have help Beefing it up for offroad use :)

Things I want to do:
-Acerbis tank
-wider foot pegs
-progressive front springs
-new rear shock absorver (trying to get a ttr gas ohlins, but hard here in Portugal)
-bash plate
-softer seat
-stainless still exhaust colector
-I'm also thinking of changing the rear rim for a 18" one (don't know if it's realy worth it)

any suggestions?

americano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #817
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Looks cool.

Wheres the neutral switch positioned, exactly....thx :)
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #818
americano
n00b

it's on the bottom left side of the engine near the gear lever
Old 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #819
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,923
TT600 vs XT600?

Anyone know if the 84 model of the 600 engines are the same?
Whats the difference in the TT vs XT engine internally?
I know they used different carbs or so I think.

One more question does the 660 Raptor piston use the same diameter wrist pin as the 600?

I'm shopping and looking at a TT600 engine, and thinking it would be nice to punch/sleeve the cylinder for the 100mm 660 Raptor piston. I figure the 660 will have an extra valve relief considering if I remember right its a 5 valve engine , but a piston is a piston, it doesn't care how many valves it has.

BTW, the old 550 is going to get a set of XR600 forks for now, I just scored a rolling chassis, it will level out the bike with its YZ465 shock, and give me a chance to score up enough parts to finish putting the USD Shivers together. I got a triple clamp for the Shivers and the Nissin brake caliper for them. Front wheel and Axle is next on the list.

I won't have $850 in the bike with the long travel suspension and bike together.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #820
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
[quote=Zecatfish]Anyone know if the 84 model of the 600 engines are the same?
Whats the difference in the TT vs XT engine internally?
I know they used different carbs or so I think.

One more question does the 660 Raptor piston use the same diameter wrist pin as the 600?

I'm shopping and looking at a TT600 engine, and thinking it would be nice to punch/sleeve the cylinder for the 100mm 660 Raptor piston. I figure the 660 will have an extra valve relief considering if I remember right its a 5 valve engine , but a piston is a piston, it doesn't care how many valves it has.

BTW, the old 550 is going to get a set of XR600 forks for now, I just scored a rolling chassis, it will level out the bike with its YZ465 shock, and give me a chance to score up enough parts to finish putting the USD Shivers together. I got a triple clamp for the Shivers and the Nissin brake caliper for them. Front wheel and Axle is next on the list.

I won't have $850 in the bike with the long travel suspension and bike together. [/quote
Whats the diff? TT600 has tighter gear for off-road. Xt more to go fast on the street. cdi boxes are not the same. No tach drive on the TT. [Can be put on.] Kick staters are not the same. TT is Mag. XT way better. I fited my TT with one. Carbs not the same. XT has a cable for the choke. TT carb has a button. [Can be fitted to the XT600]. Xt motor can be bore,TT motor can not be bore. My 2 cents!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #821
odbuffalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Im very tempted

Im very tempted, not planning on buying another bike but always looking, you guys know how it is.

Well I ran across a 1986 XT600, 5700 miles, original bike for $1500

Love those gold rims
Attached Images

odbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #822
CR_TurboGuy OP
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by odbuffalo
Im very tempted, not planning on buying another bike but always looking, you guys know how it is.

Well I ran across a 1986 XT600, 5700 miles, original bike for $1500

Love those gold rims
Wow, that think looks mint! Go for it!

--JOsh
Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #823
Calkins
On Any Sunday...

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN
Xt motor can be bore,TT motor can not be bore. My 2 cents!
Is that because of the aluminum sleeve?
2007 Triumph Bonneville America - 865
WANTED - Boss Flat Track Frames - WANTED
Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #824
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,923
DIY CDI BOX XT's

I found a website this morning that details building your own CDI unit for the XT's.
As our bikes get older and parts get scarce or more expensive. Might be a viable alternative.

http://www.transmic.net/gbindex.htm

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #825
americano
n00b

hello, anybody know were I can get a dynojet stage 1 kit for mt XT600E in Portugal or sent to Portugal?

also I found a Brazilian site that states stage 1 kit is DJY4149 but when I try to check it out to buy the site says it is for XTZ750 Super Tenere 89-96.

americano screwed with this post 05-12-2009 at 03:03 PM