Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #841
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
I put one on my '89, and of course the extra fuel weight is noticeable, but if you want to go 200+ miles on a tankfull....

I found a used one on eBay.UK, and had it shipped over. Around $200.
You'll have to reconfigure the rear tank mount, and the seat (petcock & cap interchange). The stock side panels won't work, and good luck finding XTZ panels (anywhere).

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #842
GordyMN
b00n-E

Oddometer: 244
I have an 85' and understand the suspension woes, but otherwise love this bike. From what I understand, the TT shock will give you an additional 1/2" of ride height and has a remote resevoir. I'm considering this swap, since a Works Performance shock is pretty spendy. Stock shock is 13.5" center to center, so I'm looking around for other solutions as well.

Let me know if you find something please !
GordyMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #843
tombaisley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
some xt vids

2 state dual sport ride
http://www.viddler.com/explore/rthuey/videos/49/

almost made it, took a slug of water right at the end,
http://www.viddler.com/explore/rthuey/videos/51/
tombaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #844
Lamin Sambou
Lamin

Oddometer: 95
top heavy tenere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Has anyone ridden an old XT600Z Tenere?
I'm curious if that 28L tank makes it an unruly top heavy pig?

One of these.
I'm thinking I want one of those tanks.
hi, the extra wieght of a full tank can be noticed, but you don't always need a full tank. its certainly not an unruly top heavy pig

Lamin Sambou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #845
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleeprecording
I put one on my '89, and of course the extra fuel weight is noticeable, but if you want to go 200+ miles on a tankfull....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamin Sambou
hi, the extra wieght of a full tank can be noticed, but you don't always need a full tank. its certainly not an unruly top heavy pig

Thanks,
I'm working on getting the my old XT550 ready for a TAT attempt next year. I found a Tenere Tank off an 83 XT600, I'm hoping it will over the frame on my 550, with the difference in shock mount.

Then theres times in the Ozarks where gas range becomes a problem and the added range will keep that from being a worry.
Thanks
If i get it and can't use it I'm sure someone else will want to buy it.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #846
Lamin Sambou
Lamin

XT550 desert tank

Quote:
Thanks,
I'm working on getting the my old XT550 ready for a TAT attempt next year. I found a Tenere Tank off an 83 XT600, I'm hoping it will over the frame on my 550, with the difference in shock mount.
if you can find one, acerbis did make a 25 litre tank specifically for the 550

Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #847
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Sudco had a minimum order so i had to order 4-#50 jets and 4- #52 jets. I'll probably keep one of each, but that leaves 3 of each that i dont need. if anyone wants one let me know.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #848
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo
Sudco had a minimum order so i had to order 4-#50 jets and 4- #52 jets. I'll probably keep one of each, but that leaves 3 of each that i dont need. if anyone wants one let me know.
Are those pilot jets? Do you know what comes stock with the YDIS carbs? I have a '92 XT600 and want to up the pilot by one size.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #849
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
if you can find one, acerbis did make a 25 litre tank specifically for the 550
I seen your pictures and reference to an Acerbis tank, but Google comes up with 0 on it. I think that thing is scarce has frog hairs and Hens teeth.

So thus the reason for the Tenere tank route. I know I'll have fab a rear mount, and seat setup. At least its obtainable.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #850
Lamin Sambou
Lamin

tenere tank on 550

Quote:
I seen your pictures and reference to an Acerbis tank, but Google comes up with 0 on it. I think that thing is scarce has frog hairs and Hens teeth.
yep probably as rare as rocking horse sh*t ,

Quote:
So thus the reason for the Tenere tank route. I know I'll have fab a rear mount, and seat setup. At least its obtainable.
be interested to see your finished result '550 Tenere'

heres one from the '82 Dakar

Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #851
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamin Sambou
yep probably as rare as rocking horse sh*t ,

be interested to see your finished result '550 Tenere'

heres one from the '82 Dakar

I'm going to have that kind of ground clearance. I've got a YZ465 Shock on mine already. This weekend, it will have an XR front end. 41mm conventionals with disc brake, at least till I can get my alternative frontend together. Then its MArzocchi Shivers.
The rear whell will be replaced with a CR I think, and add a rear disc.
That one above is the YZ swingarm. I'm using the stock swing arm.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #852
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Are those pilot jets? Do you know what comes stock with the YDIS carbs? I have a '92 XT600 and want to up the pilot by one size.
Yes, they are pilots. I cant remember which, but stock size is a 46 or 48.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #853
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo
Yes, they are pilots. I cant remember which, but stock size is a 46 or 48.
Just curious, do you have a link to the website where you purchased these jets? What brand of jets do our bikes use?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #854
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Just curious, do you have a link to the website where you purchased these jets? What brand of jets do our bikes use?
unfortunately i dont have the exact page. my tuner/mechanic guy ordered them for me. he got them from www.sudco.com . Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction better.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #855
pio
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Engine dies at low RPM

Yo! I've been lurking on this thread for a while since January when I bought a 1989 XT600, my first street legal bike. It's been a blast. But I've run across an issue lately that's prompted me to register and make a post about it.

Recently the bike has begun to run poorly and even stall completely when I am putting load on the engine at low RPM. If, for example, I am going up a light grade in 1st gear and shift to 2nd, and I let the RPMs fall below 2000 while letting out the clutch to engage 2nd, the engine will stop firing, and if I don't clutch it again soon *or* let off the throttle, it will die. However the bike idles at ~1200 RPM beautifully.

I've found I can very easily reproduce the problem if I put the bike in gear, apply the brakes to get the RPMs down to 1500-2000 (the engine runs perfectly during this stage), then attempt to throttle the engine back up to higher RPMs (with the gear completely engaged; no clutch). The engine will always run roughly and miss a few times, and it seems that if I give it less gas, it will miss less and rev up to higher RPMs more smoothly than if I give it more gas.

Today, I even observed the bike doing a similar thing when the clutch is completely pulled in and the engine is disengaged from gear; if I pulled the throttle back slowly, the engine reved normally. If I pulled the throttle back very quickly as if I were gunning it, the engine completely stops firing, and does not fire at all until I let off the throttle.

Any time the bike stalls from this problem, and I need to restart it, I end up having to kick it at least 10 times to get it running again, the failed kicks often being accompanied by backfires.

After recent discoveries about the problem I'm thinking that I should service the carburetor (I have yet to adjust it at all on this bike). Does this sound logical to yous guyses?

I live and ride at high altitude, and I'm not sure the bike's been jetted properly for that, but today I rode as high as 7100 feet and as low as 3500 and didn't observe much of a difference.

Some secondary questions that probably aren't related to my main problem: originally, when the problem was first manifesting itself, I thought the problem was electrical, and upon inspecting the electrical I discovered I had one of those "Hyperpak" CDIs from NZ. I also noticed the bike had a resistor spark plug installed, which was not what my Clymer manual suggested, and I tried a non-resistor plug, which didn't seem to make much difference. Does anyone know what if using the aftermarket Hyperpak CDI makes a difference towards which plug I should use? I'm thinking maybe the previous owner had a resistor plug for a reason. Also, my digital multimeter indicates the resistance in the pickup coil and in the ignition coil main circuit (in the spark plug wire) are pretty far out of spec. I haven't verified this with a second multimeter but assuming the readings are correct, should I worry? I observed 230 ohms from the pickup coil when spec is 90-120, and 20-30 kohms on the pickup coil firing circuit when the spec is like 5-8 kohms... was thinking about ordering a replacement ignition coil since you can get the yamaha part for like $70.

...and the obligatory picture:

pio is offline   Reply With Quote