User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #121
MrLuftkopf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hey Motu,

You are using the TT600 shock in a XT600 with the stock rear swingarm and linkage? I have very long legs, so the extra inch of seat height wouldn't bother me. Does the shock bottom too easily now, being a bit longer?

jimmy
MrLuftkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #122
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Handgaurds are universal. I get mine from Rockymount the d-flex's, they're tough as nails. Aluminum mount, heavy plastic deflector.

I'm tryin to find out what bend the XT bars are, I'd like to go with an aluminum bar.
I really like the pro-tapers on my ATK's they're nearly impossible to bend.
Ok, so I bought some Cycra hand guards today at Cycle Gear for around $70. The instructions suck and have almost no diagrams to install them. I figured "easy enough" and started to mount them.

I cut the rubber off the end of my handlebars only to realize that the handlebar ends are sealed. Looking at the equipment that came with the handguards, even if I was to drill a hold in the solid piece at the end of the bars, there is no way to mount these. So, buyer beware. I wouldn't go with Cycra.

How does everyone else get around the fact that the handlebars are solid at the ends when they mount their handguards?
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #123
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 529
I changed the bars to an aftermarket set. Just be sure to get some with enough straight section from the grip end to the first bend to fit all your switch gear and mirror mounts etc as some motocross bars are a bit short in this area. Not cycra fault they make their guards to fit 99% of the bikes out there just not yours. XT's normally have bare end weights from stock hence the sealed look to the bar ends.
Andy.
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #124
spinning wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Tenere fuel tank

I have a question for all of you XT600 riders. I have a 600 Tenere fuel tank, but when I tried to install it on my '92 XT600, it did not come close to fitting. Did Yamaha have an installation kit for this tank? There is a huge gap from the inside of the fuel tank to the bike's backbone frame. Any suggestions would be appriciated.
spinning wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #125
XTC
Taz

Oddometer: 529
Some Tenere's had the airfilter under the tank and therefore won't fit the XT/E.
XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #126
Whorepedo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
What kind of bars did you order for yours? Im clueless when it comes to the angles and offset and stuff. My stockers are getting old and tired looking, but i dont want to have to change any cables. Any suggestions??
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #127
laughatmyvanagon111

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC
I changed the bars to an aftermarket set. Just be sure to get some with enough straight section from the grip end to the first bend to fit all your switch gear and mirror mounts etc as some motocross bars are a bit short in this area. Not cycra fault they make their guards to fit 99% of the bikes out there just not yours. XT's normally have bare end weights from stock hence the sealed look to the bar ends.
Andy.
Yeah, looks like I"m going to have to change out my stocker bars. I'm not sure how difficult this will be with mounting the throttle etc. but looks like I have no choice if I want to mount good handguards with the protection for the levers. I was checking out CycleGear yesterday to get some ideas. Sucks about the XT sealed ends on the bars though.

I have been checking Ebay for an Acerbis tank and they are either not available or they are too expensive elsewhere online.

Has anyone mounted a Clarke gastank successfully? I found an aftermarket tank for around $180 in Oregon (new) but it fits the same year TT600. I'm wondering if it would fit my '93 XT. Anyone have any experience with Clarkes?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #128
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
If you don't mind over size bars, I love the Answer Pro-Tapers I don't think you can bend them without totaling a bike out.
My ATK's match t he bend very close to the bend on my XT550.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #129
Whorepedo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
pardon my noob-ness....

but what is the correct way to adjust the mixture screw? Do you adjust it for good idle when the engine is cold or wait until its warmed up? Is the idle supposed to be high?

Ive got a stumble at idle so i set the mixture for a high idle while it was cold to keep it from cutting off. But now im worried that im going to overheat if i get caught in some Atlanta traffic in the summer heat.

Any words of advice?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #130
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,185
Hi,

I am lookin at a 86 xt600s w/ carb issues.

"Needs a better carb rebuild then I did. she will run & idle all day long but she has a dual carb setup & the second carb is only used after 1/2 throttle & I do not think the 2nd carb is getting gas. I used it down in LBI & the speed limit is only 35 or so so I did not care & figured it would keep me out of trouble."

Is this a major headache to rectify?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=013
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #131
MrLuftkopf
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
Hi,

I am lookin at a 86 xt600s w/ carb issues.

Is this a major headache to rectify?
I have an '85. Contrary to what some people think, the carbs are pretty simple. The bike you are looking at seems like a decent buy to me.

The problem is probably a plugged orifice in one of the carbs, or the tube that joins the 2 carbs is blocked (underneath the bowls). Also check that the slide on the secondary CV carb is not stuck, and that the vacuum tube connected to the top pf the CV carb is ok.

I wouldn't let the carb problem stop me. Worst case scenario, you can buy used carbs on ebay cheap (under $50 for sure if you are patient), or you can get new ones for ~$425 from motorcyclecarbs.com.

jimmy
Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #132
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,185
Thanks there luftkopf

What scares me is the seller claims to have done the carbs. How does one clean/rebuid carbs and not see clogs?

I think if the cards are so cheap used I may cross over to the dirt side.

How do these things go down the freeway?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #133
MrLuftkopf
Adventurer

He might have not looked in the connection hoses, and/or he just thinks shooting carb cleaner at a carb with the bowl off is cleaning the jets. You have to take everything apart and inspect it all.

I have no idea how they go down the freeway...I did the same thing you are thinking of doing about a month ago, bought an old low mileage XT..... but your bike is in better condition than mine was. My bike had an original 7200km's on it (4500 miles).....

It's going back together now and looking good. If everything goes well It should be on the road in 2-3 weeks.

If it runs well there are a lot of inexpensive ways to upgrade the forks and shocks if required. Fun bike to work on.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #134
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I have a 1995 XT and it does fine at around 65-75 MPH, pretty stable even running dual sport tires
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #135
laughatmyvanagon111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
If you don't mind over size bars, I love the Answer Pro-Tapers I don't think you can bend them without totaling a bike out.
My ATK's match t he bend very close to the bend on my XT550.
I'll take a look at these bars and see how compatible they are with mine. They look good online.

And, I also ride my XT on the highway at seventy mph plus and it is find other than getting blown around>