Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #46
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
CT, firebolter nailed it- Get the Husky. I can then do extensive comparative analysis to Gordy's 640 and report on which one sucks. Seriously, less vibration, easier maintenance and big ass battery are all big pluses in my book. The thing also has a dry weight of 308 lbs.

Skinny, based on what you reported, I have to think that there was a momentary dead short at the connector when you pluged it in. This may be at the 12 v. plug or receptical in the GPS unit itself. The GPS unit itself dosen't draw that much current, so I'm sure it's noy related to that. I'd just do the connections with the bike off and then turn the GPS on/off with its own button.

You may be right, but here's some food for thought... the GPS has an in-line fuse, which did not burn out...the GPS was turned off when I plugged the power cord back in...how a voltage spike could get thru a fuse, thru the battery and back to the ignition module is a mystery to me.
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #47
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,907
Skinny, if your curious; disconect the GPS power lead from the battery. Connect an Ohm meter to the leads you just removed from the battery and plug/ unplug the GPS unit. Do this with the GPS unit mounted in its craddle. Watch the Ohm meter for even the slightest sign of a short. If one appears, take it up with the GPS manufacture. The other thing I'd check is to see if the GPS unit is grounding to the bike through the mount.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #48
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Ive got a 1999 CCM in the shed that uses the 604/640 rotax lump

whoever said the xr600 was comparabale is wrong or rode a badly set up one IMO I was running a 640 that pulled like a train outran my brothers then new & Stock XR650 on blacktop drags and pulled all the way to 110-120.
Eventually I blew the mainshaft bearings and went to 710cc's which involved boring the cases

CCM's are dirt cheap here 2nd hand as the company folded (its a bit beastly for uk offroading, though i cut my teeth on her) Before that they switched to suzuki engines because rotax stopped making this engine so worth checking availability of parts? (though probably larger market in US than UK)

HTH in some way

stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #49
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
from the standpoint of reliability and quality - I would choose the venerable XR600 over an ATK/Rotax 605

motor performance ? - the same

suspension/handling ? - XR600

stock parts/dealers ? - XR600

aftermarket parts ? - motor the same - chassis ? - XR600

street legality ? - the XR600 didn't come legal - but can be made str legal in most states with ease

neither are ideal for the street
XR600 is not even close to a 99 and newer ATK.

Motor Performance - Rotax or Honda? Rotax is probally the best Flattrack engine out there and needs nothing but preventave maintance and a Belt replacement yearly.

Suspension/handling ? - ATK without a doubt (and not just because I have 2) Honda has Showa forks and Shock, ATK has WP or Paioli forks and a WP or Ohlins Shock.

Stock parts/dealers - I live in Alaska and have a Honda dealer not 2mi away and they have almost nothing in stock but plugs. ATK ships same day or next at the latest.

Aftermarket parts ? - ATK comes with everthing you could want. I am making mounts for Zega Cans for my 99 605.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #50
sark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
This thread contains the information that I'm curious about. I apologize for making a post 6 years (or so) later but I think it's worth mentioning that the older ATK models sound pretty damn good...plus they can be purchased cheaper than a newer KTM or husky. I'm also glad to know that they were American made. Though I'm not sure if they still are. What's going on with ATK? Their website states older dirt bikes and newer small street bikes (Korean?). If anyone in the northeast part of the USofA has an ATK 605 for sale, please shoot me a pm about it. I'm very interested in purchasing a street legal 605.

sark screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 08:20 AM
sark is offline   Reply With Quote