What?!? A BOX???

urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #4262
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup;18308961
So I found this thing sold by a "reputable" (lots of sales, lots of positive comments) seller on eBay and bought it but freaked a bit when it came in the mail. For one, the return address was Kowloon. That's Hong Kong (China), not Japan which makes me think I just got played. [COLOR=Yellow
played? probably not. you can usually figure out on ebay where the item is being sold/shipped from. seiko is a japanese company but unless you specifically buy a japan-made watch your watch was probably made in malaysia/philippines or somewhere else cheaper than japan. should work the same though.[/COLOR]

It didn't come in any official Seiko packaging. I didn't even get the manual you got.

again, the ebay sellers usually indicate how the watch is packaged and if it comes with a manual and warranty card. i spent a few extra bucks and bought it from a seller in new zealand. the ebay ad specified seiko box and warranty card (and japanese model).

I'm wondering how it could be water resistant to 100m if the side crown doesn't screw down?

Mine also has the arabic but I advanced it to the English. The only thing is that today it should have said "MON" but was back to Arabic. I changed it back to English so let's see if tomorrow says "allahu akbar" instead of "TUE."

there are some guidelines about setting these watches. might want to google them. usually people avoid playing with the time/date between 9pm and 3am or something like that. try setting the date a day early and then advance forward to make sure you get the right day/date/time (am vs pm).

If this thing is legit, then I guess I'll be happy with it. It's a decent looking watch. I'm just still skeptical that this thing is a bad chinese knockoff that's going to break any second.
probably not a "chinese knockoff." i'm not an expert, but i haven't really heard of people making fake seikos. especially because the real deal is only around a hundred bucks. wear it and enjoy it!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #4263
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
probably not a "chinese knockoff." i'm not an expert, but i haven't really heard of people making fake seikos. especially because the real deal is only around a hundred bucks. wear it and enjoy it!
+1

@fudgypup

It's well known in the watch "community" that a 100m water resistant mark doesn't mean that you can dive to a 100m depth with the watch (weird, but it's like that)

Here's what Wikipedia says about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_R...classification
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #4264
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161

Only the 200m divers are ISO-certified. A 100m watch is fine for swimming and snorkeling. I think only the 200m and up (down?) Seiko divers have screw down crowns.

There are Chinese Seiko knockoffs, but those are usually easy to spot and look nothing like any official model.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #4265
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
Just got one of these to replace my grandad's Timex that took its last lickin' and stopped tickin':

Its alright, nice cheap watch for everyday.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #4266
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
+1

@fudgypup

It's well known in the watch "community" that a 100m water resistant mark doesn't mean that you can dive to a 100m depth with the watch (weird, but it's like that)

Here's what Wikipedia says about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_R...classification
The eBay auction DID say it would come with a manual (didn't).

The watch is working great now. It did advance properly today and is no longer in arabic.

I'm not going to dive with this watch, I just want to make sure it's not going to fail if I jumped in the pool or got caught in a rainstorm. I have a real dive watch I would use (the Seamaster).
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #4267
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,647
there are some guidelines about setting these watches. might want to google them. usually people avoid playing with the time/date between 9pm and 3am or something like that. try setting the date a day early and then advance forward to make sure you get the right day/date/time (am vs pm).

This.

Yes, do not attempt to "quick-set" either the day or date when the wristwatch is between the hours of 9 and 3. During this time, the advancing pawls are engaged in the teeth of the day and date wheels, and if you advance either while the pawls are engaged, you can damage and/or break things.

"Quick-set" refers to the crown being pulled out to the first position, where you can then click the day and date wheels independent of turning the hands of the watch. Of course, this only applies to the watch being between 9PM and 3AM, but when you first get the watch, or pick it back up after having been idle for a bit, you probably won't know whether it's between 9PM and 3AM, or 9AM and 3PM. At any time, you can pull the crown fully out, and advance the time, and day/date, by turning the hands through midnight, without any concern.

The Seiko 5's use plastic day and date wheels, and the advancing tabs can get broken if you don't heed the above warning. Indeed, this would apply to most any wristwatch with a day or day/date quick-set function.

Enjoy!

WA.

Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #4268
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,594
Lum-tec 23

Limited edition #90 /150 worldwide, Tungsten Carbide, Swiss Automatic, Sapphire Double AR front, and sapphire case back .

Off course I love the ORANGE and BLUE, KTM style colors, wonder why?? LOL.
"Grim Brother" #1

1stiski screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 10:55 AM
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #4269
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
I will chime in that I have not seen fake seikos (that I am aware of); however, I have seen fake casios. Based on that observation, the cost of the legit item is not the sole driver, it is the potential for margin.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #4270
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
Limited edition #90 /150 worldwide, Tungsten Carbide, Swiss Automatic, Sapphire Double AR front, and sapphire case back .

handsome watch. Always dig those aircraft-inspired sword hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #4271
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post

That is nice!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #4272
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,647
Tungsten carbide case! Wow! That's heavy, man! [Seriously - heh.]

That had to have been machined with diamond tools and/or EDM.

Beautiful!

WA.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #4273
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Tungsten carbide case! Wow! That's heavy, man! [Seriously - heh.]

That had to have been machined with diamond tools and/or EDM.

Beautiful!

WA.
Interesting reading about Tungsten Carbide, actually a powder form compressed at high temps, can only be polished with diamond dust, super resistant to scratching like a sapphire, and resistant to chemicals of all sorts. It actually is classified as a ceramic . This watch has some interesting build notes. It actually has a stainless steel insert that houses the Swiss mechanical movement along with the stainless case since Tungsten Carbide can't be threaded. The Outer Tungsten Case is heated and the Stainless Inner liner is put in liquid nitrogen to shrink and the two are then put together to form one unit. . Its very cool . The back of the watch
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #4274
theregulator
Shut Up and Ride

Oddometer: 210
It's just a Seiko

theregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #4275
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by theregulator View Post
Maybe, but it cost more than ten times what my SKX009 cost. NICE.

As to the tungsten carbide, IIRC that called sintered metal, and they also often chose to do that with TI, but for different reasons.

Diamond dust polishing...hm, be careful with that...a leather hone with some dressing and dust on it would probably work.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: