User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Fenrir OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Cry CBR electrical problem

OK, so for the third time today my 94 CBR 600 F2 died. I was riding, found a place to park and turned the bike off, then realized I needed to start it again, but the battery seemed almost flat. The starter would only go for about 2 seconds. If I run it till it was just the starter clicking then turned the bike off and wait a few minutes (10 at the most) and turn it back on it'll get about another 4 seconds. As soon as I got a jump bike started fine. Turned the bike off and back on just fine. By the time I ride home voltage on the battery is fine. It did it on the last battery so I got this one just under 1 month ago. Before that I think it was 2-3 weeks between times it happened. Now I don't think its my alternator, or the battery wouldn't last almost a month and the battery wouldn't have the right voltage on the meter. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance, I'd hate to have to start carrying jumper cables with me on the 4 mile commute
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
Well, 90's Honda's are known for having voltage regulators go out. It either completely fails or works off and on. That's were I'd start as long as you know the battery is good.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
you might try connecting a DMM to monitor the voltage and see what's going on while you're riding.

unless you have a good voltmeter on there already.

if it's the reg, you'll see some not good voltages

another possibility is a bad (i.e. corroded, loose, etc) connection and/or a bad (i.e. broken, corroded, frayed, rubbed thru insulation) wire.

also check the ground connection for the reg, it might just ground from the mounting bolts, make sure there's a good CLEAN connection to ground.

seems like I remember a friend having fried (overheated burnt) connectors from the stator on his honda

good luck
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,879
Like ShaftEd said, Hondas are known for voltage regulator issues. Mine failed on my 929. However, the troubleshooting procedure from the shop manual did not show that my voltage regulator had failed. Because the reg/rect was testing good, I went through three stators.

Finally I replaced the reg/rect and the stator together, and the charging system has been a-ok ever since. If your battery is good, replace the reg/rect first, even if it's testing good.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
I'd suspect the battery. Honda in particular do not tolerate low batteries.

The haynes or clymer manual should have the procedure for checking out the charging system.

Also check the solder joint at the highbeam switch on the left handlebar. That joint has a habit of breaking for some reason. Mine would drop the main beam headlights at the worst possible times, until I found the problem. Similar joint at the starter button, also. I think I've probably re-soldered at least a dozen of those over the years.

good luck.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,164
My Voltage Reg went south on my 91 CBR1000F. The DVM could not read it correctly IAW the mech manual. Also the starter relay housing was found sorta krispy( green color) Replaced all and it lasted until 1999 and beyond i suppose since I sold it. I think the price on mine was $150 back then in 1997.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Fenrir OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help, I'd already ordered a new starter relay before I got all these replies, but its taken forever to arrive. I'll put it in and I'll try the suggestions. If there are anymore keep them coming!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,950
A problem I experienced with Drif10's 90 CBR600 is an ignition plug in behind the headlight. The symptom was more that it lost everything but I would have a good look for corrosion or loose connectors in this area. With electricity you can have all the voltage in teh world but a corroded wire or partial connection will not let any current through and the starter is a high current item

I hope this helps.

bart
Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
G-Force Junkie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
I've seen a couple of mid 90's CBR900's have issues with the wiring and connectors between the stator and voltage regulator/rectifier. The connectors get oxidized up, build high resistance, and give wacky battery charging untill it finaly burns its self up. Pull all the connectors, check all the wiring for burns and high ohms.
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
By-tor
remember 6/6/44

Oddometer: 254
You said that you have a 4 mile commute? I wonder if the battery is being charged long enough between rides? Just a thought. Hope you get it fixed soon.
By-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Fenrir OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here we go again

Well its happened again (sorta). Ran through the tests before and the starter relay seemed to be at fault so I replaced it and no problem, until lately my battery sounded kinda weak and finally nothing. Tried push starting it but I guess I just couldn't do it so now I think its time to replace the regulator rectifier. Don't want to spend $200 on something thats just going to blow again, oh well. Thanks for all the help guys! Although I did find someone that put a GM rectifier on their F3... Hmm...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir
Well its happened again (sorta). Ran through the tests before and the starter relay seemed to be at fault so I replaced it and no problem, until lately my battery sounded kinda weak and finally nothing. Tried push starting it but I guess I just couldn't do it so now I think its time to replace the regulator rectifier. Don't want to spend $200 on something thats just going to blow again, oh well. Thanks for all the help guys! Although I did find someone that put a GM rectifier on their F3... Hmm...
Yes, the rectifier/regulator is the first thing to check of any Japanese bike with appearent battery problems.
Very easy ck. Place the voltmeter inline with either the neg. terminal and it's corrasponding cable end(or the pos. terminal) and with the key off, the volt reading should be zero. Any reading would indicate a bad rect./reg. ASM. Very common on all of the Big Four models.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomech
Yes, the rectifier/regulator is the first thing to check of any Japanese bike with appearent battery problems.
Very easy ck. Place the voltmeter inline with either the neg. terminal and it's corrasponding cable end(or the pos. terminal) and with the key off, the volt reading should be zero. Any reading would indicate a bad rect./reg. ASM. Very common on all of the Big Four models.
Yep. Regulator/Rectifier is a known failure on CBRs and VFRs.

I'd start there.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
CBR900RR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
My 95 900RR had a similar problem once in hot weather. Although it seemed to "Fix" itself, I now carry around an aftermarket Regulator/Rectifier just in case.

Electrosport have them for $100. Part # ESR580

Transpo part # TRR6330

CBR900RR screwed with this post 03-29-2007 at 07:17 AM
CBR900RR is offline   Reply With Quote