Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
hamfisted
2wheelsGood

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto
You can rent complete packages for the Baja 500 that includes support trucks with drivers, pre-run bikes, new Honda race bike, Honda Pits (the best), hotels, etc... for around $8000.
All you have to do is fly in, pay attention, have a clue what you're getting into, and be safe.

(thanks PackMule and WONB2K!)
For those of us that DONT have a clue, what races should I pencil in to GET a clue?
Ive been racing Hare Scrambles for a long time but have never done a desert race. I am signed up for the Desert 100 in WA in April.
The goal is to do the 1000 for my 50th b-day (2010).
Thanx
Jim
05 Beta RR450
hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
XSNRG
Northern Michigan

Oddometer: 287
Do a search for Desert Racing and see what pops up.

Of course SCORE and DAKAR have already been covered.

For example, I visited a BEST in the DESERT event and helped in the pits last Summer. If you have never been close to a Trophy Truck or the real buggies, I suggest you fly into Vegas for a weekend and check it out first-hand.

This might be too much information, but check out the different racing schedules HERE.

Do your homework and move to Nevada might be the easiest response?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #18
wardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Ian,
I rode the Baja 500 a few years ago using Tim Morton's turnkey program, and I can highly recommend Tim and the program he puts together. His knowledge of Baja is encyclopedic, and his ability to organize logistics was incredible. Also his focus on safety is essential, there is so much that goes on down there, that having an insiders insight is going to both lower your stress tremendously and help keep you out of trouble. Here are links to my 500 and 1000 race reports that I posted over on Thumpertalk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=baja
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=baja
If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Wardo
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #19
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo
Ian,
I rode the Baja 500 a few years ago using Tim Morton's turnkey program, and I can highly recommend Tim and the program he puts together. His knowledge of Baja is encyclopedic, and his ability to organize logistics was incredible. Also his focus on safety is essential, there is so much that goes on down there, that having an insiders insight is going to both lower your stress tremendously and help keep you out of trouble. Here are links to my 500 and 1000 race reports that I posted over on Thumpertalk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=baja
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=baja
If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Wardo
I am interested in the cost as others are. So how much?

I'd like a price on 2 riders for a rental racer/support deal for Baja 500; one pre-run and the race. I can figure travel/lodging on my own.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,491
I second RENTING! While I've never even been to a Baja Race, I have been around racing for a while. I used to work for an SCCA Road Race team and we built cars and sold them and offered full support to their owners if they needed. We had a couple "house" cars that we built and we'd rent them out for track weekends (and driver's schools) to people who were just getting into the sport, or couldn't afford to buy a car and run it on their own, let alone fully supporting them.

The experience the Renters got from just flying into the local airport and showing up at the track and having the "team" do all the prep work on the car; let them focus solely on their driving. Guys who do it all themselves don't always get to race. If the car broke in practice or qual they were the ones that had to fix it and if they didn't have spares the car was going back home without ever being raced. You just blew your whole weekend and spent a shitload of money.

One of our "Drivers" was even an ex-SCORE Buggy Racer (Little buggy w/4cyl toyota engine) who tried doing it all between himself and a partner. I think it burned him out trying to manage everything on his own, it was much easier (and less stressful) to pay the money and show up.

Here's to seeing your Baja Dream come true

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
wardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Ian and Pantah,
The cost of renting can vary wildly depending on who you talk to. Tim's quote of around $8k is a bit more than we paid in '04, but I am sure his expenses have risen commensurately. I remember thinking that the service Tim provided was a relative bargain compared to other motorsports I've rented in. I am sure you can pay less than what Tim is quoting, but I know from personal experience that he is providing tremendous value for the dollar. I am planning on doing the SCORE series again when I turn 50 in a few years. I will certainly be using Tim to put the effort together if he'll have me. If you're serious about putting something together, I recommend you call him and talk on the phone. I think you'll agree that he's a straight shooter with allot to offer a prospective Baja team. I'd be glad to talk on the phone or via PM to give more personalized detail.

Regards,
Wardo
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #22
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,184
Ditto to the Baja Bound idea . We are from IN and did it last year with them and it was awesome.....sorry Tim forgot my training.....it was bitch'n....He even taught us the west coast language that we midwestern types don't speak. We had so much fun with Baja Bound down there, Tim knows every nook and cranny down there..............and then there is El Chopipo(did I spell it right).

The only way to go we will be back to do it again. Honda pits rock too, I mean the whole week we felt we were part of a factory team........my partner and I joked we were the Honda Q team.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo
Ian and Pantah,
The cost of renting can vary wildly depending on who you talk to. Tim's quote of around $8k is a bit more than we paid in '04, but I am sure his expenses have risen commensurately. I remember thinking that the service Tim provided was a relative bargain compared to other motorsports I've rented in. I am sure you can pay less than what Tim is quoting, but I know from personal experience that he is providing tremendous value for the dollar. I am planning on doing the SCORE series again when I turn 50 in a few years. I will certainly be using Tim to put the effort together if he'll have me. If you're serious about putting something together, I recommend you call him and talk on the phone. I think you'll agree that he's a straight shooter with allot to offer a prospective Baja team. I'd be glad to talk on the phone or via PM to give more personalized detail.

Regards,
Wardo

Thanks Wardo - I re-read Jim's post. It looks like $8k covers a pre-run bike too. Add in the $2k or so per person to get there,lodge and entry fee. Not so bad for a one-time shot. I'll call if the notion gets any legs. -P
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #24
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Cool2

Thanks for all the replies.

I hope the thread's answered some questions for other potential entrants.

This event fully deserves to go on the 'must-do' list.

Better start training...

Cheers,

Ian.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #25
Jason sandsux
Purple Helmet Driver

Oddometer: 71
some friends and I did the 2004 Baja 1000. We finished, not great, but we finished and that was our goal. It cost us about $12 grand, split 4 ways. 3 grand each up front. At the end we sold everything and recouped about $3500. No prior experience. We built our own bike. We had no prior plan to do it until 6 weeks before. It's doable for the average Joe. Good luck
Jason sandsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #26
kerosene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason sandsux
some friends and I did the 2004 Baja 1000. We finished, not great, but we finished and that was our goal. It cost us about $12 grand, split 4 ways. 3 grand each up front. At the end we sold everything and recouped about $3500. No prior experience. We built our own bike. We had no prior plan to do it until 6 weeks before. It's doable for the average Joe. Good luck
What kind of prior racing experience did you guys have?
Suzuki SV650 '03
Honda XR650L '97

past

Suzuki PV50 '87
Suzuki RM250 '86
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #27
Jason sandsux
Purple Helmet Driver

Oddometer: 71
I've been ridind and racing for about 25 years but no desert stuff and no prior team stuff. I'm a pretty decent weekend warrior but actually was in bad shape at the time of the race. Blew out my knee and little time to ride for the prior 2 years. Teammates were about equal experience but with good knees. I'm an east coast, mud, rocks, trees rider. I felt like it was my first time on a bike being in some of the sand. I crashed a lot during the race and wish I had done some prerunning. I arrived at the airport the night before the race and had never ridden a XR650 before. We did a lot of things wrong, 2 of my teammates got hurt (collar bones/ ribs) and we still finished. It was tough with no experience and 2 guys down, very tough, but there's enough time to push through it. If finishing is your goal, it's very doable. I'm sure these rental places make it easier and if nothing else their knowledge would be helpful. There's a lot of info on the net about setting up the bike. It's not that hard to do. Basically lights and suspension plus a few items. If I did it again I'd do it on a KTM 525. The XR is a big heavy pig and I didn't need the extreem top speed (90+), and I hated the weight of it. I think the logistics of it is probably the hardest to imagine. How to position everyone and everything you need where and when you need it. We used 2 chase trucks. The trucks need to pick up the guy who's done and position him further down so he can ride his next section etc. Same with spare parts. We paid someone for "support". IE: gas, tools etc to be provided at 60 mile intervals, so at least we knew we had gas. There's sections that your trucks can't get to. My buddys wife figured out a lot of the logistics and I still feel she was the most important team member even though she didn't ride the bike. You can't finish without a good plan and back up plan, but don't let that stop you. Just get someone who's good at that kind of stuff on your team and then do it. Think of it this way. 1000 miles, 4 guys= 250 miles each. You can do it.
Good luck.
Jason sandsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #28
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbeard
Me Too
Mark - you're seriously thinking about it? We should talk next time out. Been talking to Elmer for months now about doing the 500 and 1000 in '08 or '09.

Peter
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 AM   #29
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
i used to pit crew for a jeep team many years ago and still go for rides in baja.biggest problem if you have the bucks is to find time to prerun.the prerun will help you know when to take it easy and when to run some speed.next is finding enough buddies with trucks to pit for you.if you dont have alot of friends to pit just rent a bike with support.the pit crew thing burned me out-getting sent out in the middle of the night to tow in a busted race car sucks.now i just prerun the course and watch the race on my xr.
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #30
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
It's about the same budget as country club golf...
And people STILL choose to play country club golf?????
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote