Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #61
koncha OP

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by stravis
I have driven them all. I have used them all. My opinion about the toyota trucks was stated above. They are / weren't work trucks. That includes the 2007. I'll put a ford, chevy or dodge 1/2 ton against nissan and toyota any day. (dodge isn't domestic, btw, but it is still the better work truck) Anyone I know who has WORKED with all the above brands has agreed with me.

Again, if you are looking for a daily driver to do little work with, the yota and nissan will do just fine. If you are in need of a truck to haul or tow, stick with Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

PS: the 30,000# total weight was with my F-350 dually which I would in no way compare with the yota. Totally different trucks for totally different uses. However if toyota decided to go into the HD market with a diesel, I'd love to compare the two and I guarantee the F-350 will win hands down.
If you've driven and/or used a 2007 Tundra, I would love to hear what you think about it in general and the combination of the 5.7L V-8 and 6-speed transmission.

Also, if anyone has any information on the Aisin transmission in the Tundra, I'd love to hear more. I wonder if it is the same Aisin transmission DCX is putting behind the next-gen Cummins.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #62
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by stravis
I have driven them all. I have used them all. My opinion about the toyota trucks was stated above. They are / weren't work trucks. That includes the 2007. I'll put a ford, chevy or dodge 1/2 ton against nissan and toyota any day. (dodge isn't domestic, btw, but it is still the better work truck) Anyone I know who has WORKED with all the above brands has agreed with me.

Again, if you are looking for a daily driver to do little work with, the yota and nissan will do just fine. If you are in need of a truck to haul or tow, stick with Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

PS: the 30,000# total weight was with my F-350 dually which I would in no way compare with the yota. Totally different trucks for totally different uses. However if toyota decided to go into the HD market with a diesel, I'd love to compare the two and I guarantee the F-350 will win hands down.
Nissan and Toyota have both pretty much nailed it in the 1/2 ton market already,and the big 3's light truck and SUV marketshare numbers support that.90% of these trucks never tow or haul shit beyond groceries and a small amount of tools the tradespeople carry to and from jobsites.Unless they are in a rural area and work offroad ,the 22's and 3,000 watt stereo are the heaviest things most of them will ever see besides the fatass driver with his hat on sideways.

I ended up with the bigass truck only because the salesman said my wiener was too little,they made me buy the superduty crew cab 4x4.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #63
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick
Those Toyota bastards are across the river doing a consumer event today. I can see them out my window. They have the new Tundra, a Nissan Titan and a Dodge Ram. It looks like they’re doing drag races while towing trailers.

Maybe I’ll go over and “accidentally” run the Tundra into a ditch.

How the fuck did you guys end up in the same place considering the size of that part of the country?
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #64
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick
This frickin’ cocktail skirt is creapin' up my ass!
Don't you wish you had one of these that ou could aim out your window?

Linky

"Every time I got out of the Tundra I felt like my clothes were on fire," commented one tester.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #65
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Saw this...

pickups are expensive...

ENGINE BODY STYLE TRANSMISSION MSRP

4x2 TUNDRA
V6 Reg Cab 5ECT $22,290
V6 Reg Cab LB 5ECT $22,620
V8 4.7 Reg Cab 5ECT $23,430
V8 5.7 Reg Cab 6ECT $24,380
V8 4.7 Reg Cab LB 5ECT $23,760
V8 5.7 Reg Cab LB 6ECT $24,710

SR5 V6 Double Cab 5ECT $26,105
SR5 V8 4.7 Double Cab 5ECT $26,850
SR5 V8 5.7 Double Cab 6ECT $28,110
SR5 V8 4.7 Double Cab LB 5ECT $27,180
SR5 V8 5.7 Double Cab LB 6ECT $28,440
LTD V8 4.7 Double Cab 5ECT $34,240
LTD V8 5.7 Double Cab 6ECT $35,490

SR5 V8 4.7 CrewMax 5ECT $29,675
SR5 V8 5.7 CrewMax 6ECT $30,935
LTD V8 4.7 CrewMax 5ECT $37,540
LTD V8 5.7 CrewMax 6ECT $38,790

4x4 TUNDRA
V8 4.7 Reg Cab 5ECT $26,480
V8 5.7 Reg Cab 6ECT $27,440
V8 4.7 Reg Cab LB 5ECT $26,810
V8 5.7 Reg Cab LB 6ECT $27,770

SR5 V8 4.7 Double Cab 5ECT $29,900
SR5 V8 5.7 Double Cab 6ECT $31,160
SR5 V8 4.7 Double Cab LB 5ECT $30,230
SR5 V8 5.7 Double Cab LB 6ECT $31,490
LTD V8 4.7L Double Cab 5ECT $37,290
LTD V8 5.7L Double Cab 6ECT $38,550

SR5 V8 4.7L CrewMax 5ECT $32,725
SR5 V8 5.7L CrewMax 6ECT $33,985
LTD V8 4.7L CrewMax 5ECT $40,590
LTD V8 5.7L CrewMax 6ECT $41,850

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070124/law091.html?.v=75
Old 01-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #66
Red J
Adventureless.

Oddometer: 758
Indeed, they are:

Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 4WD
Base Retail (MSRP): $39,585
Red J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #67
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J
Indeed, they are:

Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab 4WD
Base Retail (MSRP): $39,585
But that's a 3/4-ton truck. The Toyota prices listed were for 1/2-ton trucks, right?
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #68
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
But that's a 3/4-ton truck. The Toyota prices listed were for 1/2-ton trucks, right?
Yup...

You can option a Chevy 1500 that high, but you have to check EVERY box.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #69
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Wink New Tundra...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
This is an interesting point. I wonder if Toyota has upsized the Taco so much in order to position itself as a replacement for people with pre-07 Tundras that are turned off by the massiveness of the new Tundra.
Check out Motor Trends take on the New Tundra here... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._toyota_tundra

Too bad the public can't even drive a new Tundra until Late February or March.

You'd like to think the new huge Tacoma would take the old Tundra's spot. Weird part is you can't get decent aka power/leather/heated seats, a sunroof, etc... in the current Taco. Crazy when you realize a Colorado offers all that Onstar and XM ta boot.

FWIW: ALL the Taco(ma) plastic beds are made in Mexico. ALL of them...they truck them to the NUMMI plant in Fremont. Saved Toyota millions. Quite a few of the Tacoma's are made in Mexico as well. Every single one at my local dealer here was. Says so right on the window sticker.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #70
koncha OP

I'm going to keep beating this drum and hope it comes true.

I was poking around this week for information on a diesel Tundra. Industry rumor is that the heavy duty Tundra project has been put on hold. I asked a guy I know at Cat and he wouldn't say anything other than the small diesel project Cat was working on is still going full bore. However, it now looks like Ford is shopping for a new super duty diesel after the recent nastiness with International, the maker of the Powerstroke.

OK, so to the meat of the post.

I found this article talking about a new diesel used in the Landcruiser in Australia. The article leads the reader to believe that this engine could be used in the US in a Tundra or Landcruiser.

http://www.globalautoindex.com/news.plt?no=1730&nl=y#

It says that this new diesel is EURO IV compliant. I don't know the weight for the Landcruiser but I would guess it fits into the Light Commercial Vehicle standard Catagory N1-III. That means the engine is below the following polution criteria (g/km):

CO = .95
NOx = .39
PM = .06

source

So I started to investigate if that engine would be able to work with the new standards for US EPA emissions. The EPA standards aren't as clear as the Euro standards. The EPA is based on fleet averages. So a company could sell a smokestack as long as it sold enough small cars to counter it.

So where does the Euro IV fit into EPA Bins? First, we have to convert to g/mi. So we get:

CO = 1.53
NOx = .62
PM = .0968

So for each measure, that puts them in the following EPA bins (all in tier 2):

CO = Bin 1
NOx = Bin 10 (this is a temporary Bin that expires after my08)
PM = Bin 11 (this is a temporary Bin that expires after my08)

source

EPA regulations make no distinction between diesel and gas engines for light-duty trucks. The lower the Bin, the lower the emissions. All manufacturers are required to have an average fleet NOx of .07 g/mi.

If anything those number right there show several issues. First, that engine will need to be REALLY cleaned up on the NOx and particulate matter before being used in the USA. The other thing it shows is just how different the goals are for each regulatory body. The EUROs are really focused on the greenhouse gases and the EPA is really focused on the smog control. CO is a greenhouse gas issue and NOx and particulate matter are smog issues.

That was just a long way to go to say that a 1/2 ton diesel is going to be tough and adapting one from a Euro engine isn't as easy as some people would lead us to believe. They are designed from the ground up for completely different objectives.

And my wait for a 1/2 ton diesel continues.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #71
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
And my wait for a 1/2 ton diesel continues.
Both Ford and GM are supposed to have one in 2009. Ford's is Land Rover sourced. The GM one is entirely new. Both are said to pass Euro and EPA regs.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #72
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,294
New Tundra failed to get a 5 star safety rating.
Ford & Chevy will be pounding that small issue
Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #73
koncha OP

Quote:
Both Ford and GM are supposed to have one in 2009. Ford's is Land Rover sourced. The GM one is entirely new. Both are said to pass Euro and EPA regs.
I've heard dates for a diesel for a long time. I remember when the 4.5L baby Powerstroke was going to THE diesel in the F150 and Expedition. Then it got canceled and only appeared in the cab-over Ford commercial trucks.

The Rover diesel is also Euro IV compliant. That leaves a lot of room for improvement on the particulate trap. I'm not sold on some of the designs coming out for particulate traps and the urea injectors. The thought of going to limp mode because my car ran out of pee just seems wrong.

The next major breakdown with my Explorer will have me trading it off on a Tundra. Maybe a Silverado, if I can get over all the horrible GM cars I've owned. In the not too distant past, I said I would never but another American car. The new Silverado is super nice. I'll cross-shop it with a Tundra when the time comes. The problems with my Explorer are just too recent for me to even consider a Ford.

I'd really like to have a diesel. Diesels and trucks are like peanut butter and jelly.

Financially, I can afford a big, heavy duty truck with a diesel but I don't NEED all that much engine. I probably wouldn't use 80% of its capabilities. Both my dad and brother drive heavy duties and I just don't see myself ever needing to do the same things they do with their trucks. I don't like camping with a giant 5th wheel RV, I'm not going to pull 20,000# of gravel in a gooseneck dump trailer and I can't see myself ever needing to pull a 3-car hauler. Even a half ton is stretching it for me. The Tacoma/Dakota size is about what I need.

I am holding onto my Explorer as long as I can {tolerate}. But I've been holding out hope for a long time for a reasonably-sized diesel pickup.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #74
koncha OP

Quote:
I forgot.

Isn't the GM version supposed to be a V6 version of the Duramax? Kind of like what International did with the 4.5L V6 Powerstroke from the 6.0L V8 Powerstroke?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #75
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Gimme a god damn taco with one of their 'other' market diesels, fercrissakes! I don't need a 3/4 ton or bigger, I don't want that ride, nor fuel cost. Gimme a Hilux like they sell everywhere fucking else and I'll be happy. Fucking US market focus group companies can only say 'US only wants big fucking truck'. That's bullshit. got a full size dodge, and it's for sale, don't want to be paying for the constant repairs anymore.

Gimme a taco diesel, and that'll do, donkey.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: