Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #46
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
San Jose del Cabo offers a bit of civility sometimes not found in Cabo San Lucas. Los Cabos refers to "The Capes"....San Jose is where the main airport is and is an older pueblo...

The East Cape road is an oceanside route that goes from San Jose up to Los Barriles to the north...with a range of housing and developments along the way...

And the ocean is certainly inviting....

And the locals also enjoy the sunny view...

Nice ass....

And Darren seemed to have a better way with his new friends...

More trusting of him than me, I suppose...

You must admit....they are cute little donkeys...

If you nose what I mean...

Up close and personal...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #47
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Gorgeous pics and ride report.. thanks for the updates!!

I've pruned one of the posts which I deemed inapparopriate for this forum. YFF know the rule... you have nothing nice to say,

Thank you very much!!

Now back to Ged's great ride.. I sure could use some warmth and sunshine right about now

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #48
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Riders,

I apologize for responding to Hammer's post on a previous page with some British Columbia pics and comments....it threw some folks off thinking I had hijacked someone else's thread....

It was like taking a different trail on a ride and the guys at the back in the dust didn't see the marker at the trail junction

I will maintain target fixation on Baja as best as I can...that way I will be sure to hit it despite the tendency to be divergent on occasion...

Room at La Playita....great sheets and mattress....

The smell of boat gas wasn't a problem....

As we potentially added to the aroma in the courtyard....but actually, no gas leaks were noticed by us or any others....except for a few air-biscuits offered up due to the frijoles...

Off in the distance is the area where a huge marina project is underway....it makes for a dusty situation and has, unfortunately, caused grief to the management of this place....I would highly recommend La Playita to anyone who prefers to be off the beaten path and who enjoys the classical set-up of the place...

And while the pool was perfect...

The beach out front was a superiour location to get stupid without being a spectacle for others...

And, living dangerously without slipping on the tiles while running backwards without dropping my camera...

Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #49
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 303
Fun Story

Nice job boys, how about a photo of your route map and some hotel costs along the way

Cheers!
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #50
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigDaddy
Nice job boys, how about a photo of your route map and some hotel costs along the way Cheers!
Hey Daddy-O,

If I knew how to do that "draw your route on a map thing" I would...sorry....don't know how....

Hotel Costs: $20 - $ 50.....nicer places = $50

$20 for cabana at San Francisquito
$35 at La Hacienda in Mulege

Sand in bed....priceless

Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #51
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

An aside....

This ride was never planned to be a gnarly single-track, pick-'em-up-over-boulder type of ride.....my experience riding in Baja has been the type of double-track posted so far.

Some future pics coming up in a few days will show some rougher stuff, but in many of the areas off the beaten path means cactus flats or increased chance of injury....and you DO NOT want to be injured in the Baja.

I informed Darren (a more skilled rider than I) ahead of time that the type of riding we would be doing and he was good with that (his first Baja ride)....after a week or so he commented that the stuff we were doing was "a bit pedestrian" and I had no problem agreeing with his description.

Back home in BC we ride some serious single track where the technical stuff is la sopa del dia....

From the top....

To the bottom...

And everything in between...

All of which frequently tires this FF right out by the end of the day...

But it ain't the Baja ...different riding with different expectations...

Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #52
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

La Playita is not only a great place to stay, but just around the corner as you approach from San Jose it is a restaurant which provided one of the top 3 meals of the trip....

This place looked better than the other establishment and BOY DID WE MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE

They serve wonderful seafood and the Coconut Prawns were THE F'ing BEST I have ever had....los camarones were very big and succulent....

Darren ordered spaghetti with a creamy prawn sauce and kept staring longingly at my Coconut Prawns....I succumbed and gave him one....that is the only time I ever saw Darren with that expression of envy on his face

Okay....maybe it wasn't envy

We were enjoying our pre-dinner cerveza when a gringo walked in with a big zip-lock baggie ....he had a face that glowed with several days of sun and an afternoon of drinking ...as there were only several other folks in the small restaurant, he quickly surveyed the scene and focussed on us.

"Hey, have you guys already ordered?''

"Yep", we replied (as this was BEFORE the Coconut Prawns hijacked my tastebud s and total foof focus).

"Hey, I have a bunch of yellow-tail I caught the other day and I'm gonna get the chef to cook it up with lots of garlic butter....want some?...."

Appreciating the offer and the situation, Darren and I deferred for an obligatory millisecond before accepting his offer....

We began a conversation and heard the story about fishing, but not his afternoon/day of drinking...

He was having such a good time, sitting several tables away, maintaining his narrative with us and enjoying a margarita....

Our meal arrived and the Coconut Prawns held my attention hostage for a while...so the fisher guy did not have our undivided attention for a bit....his meal arrived around the time we had finished ours....and the chef also brought out a second larger platter heaping with the remainder of the pescado con mojo de ajo....the waiter took the platter to Fisher Guy...and he redirected the waiter to give it to us.....the waiter seemed hesitant and said something about us having had enough to eat , but Fisher Guy insisted....we graciously accepted two large pieces and I then directed the waiter to a local gentleman who had been sitting there with his meal in front of him ....and I suggested to the waiter that he offer the local some of the tuna...which he did.

The local guy had been quietly and patiently managing to sit at his table between our table and that of Fisher Guy....he graciously accepted the tuna and nodded his appreciation towards me ... I quickly redirected his expression of gratitude to Fisher Guy and we all had a good laugh

Darren bought Fisher Guy another margarita....and with that and a newly built tuna taco in hand, Fisher Guy let out a BIG " Aaarrrrgghhh"....

There was a sense of connection at that time , my friends

The evening was concluded with some party favours and a pleasant dipping of the toes in the chuck....

and then some relaxation...

The next morning was the last at La Playita....and we had a good breakfast with the best beans of the whole trip.....

"My grandmother taught me how to make them: said the cook, a very pleasant fellow....

From La Playita, we moved into a condo in San Jose that was offered free of charge for almost a week (a neighbour's place was vacant) by a friend who had moved to San Jose about 15 years ago and who teaches English and gardening there at a private school....BIG thanks to Maria-Elena...La Chingona del Casa

Secure parking was a bit tight at times....

but it was a great place and we were treated well ....we were invited to attend New Year's Eve festivities, a wedding party potluck by the pool, and met some fine folks who were either tourists or local ex-pats...

Darren and I were planning a BIg Ride Day on a route to Todos Santos....it was hot even at 9:00 am so we were eager to get the bikes out of the lot.

Funny how it is sometimes when you happen to look at your rear tire while cinching your chin strap at the beginning of a highly expected ride and you see...

Now, changing a flat is a drag at any time, but when it happens when you are That Guy on the day of one of the prize rides of the trip, and when your riding partner is chomping at the bit....it is Way bummer

Darren was gracious about it and helped with the repair....

and offered the "let's use the barrel technique"...

Now, for many of you out there this is no big deal....some folks get it off the bike, repaired, and back on in 4-5 minutes....but I come from a different planet, I guess, as it takes me a while in good conditions.

This task was something I had been dreading ever since I spent 45 minutes getting the rear Trelleborg off the bike in April '05 after last using them in the Baja.....

I have chosen the Trelleborg as my enduro guru Al Perrett (Baja class winner--Husqvarna - a buncha times- and Kamloops resident) replied when I asked him why he uses them, "I just haven't found anything that lasts longer." It is tough as hell, has a high sidewall and is a real Tootsie Roll of a tire...("Chewy and lasts a long time")....

I expected a rough time with the stiff tire, a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy-Duty tube, and my low skill level.

I was stunned at, after a 5 minute period of circling the tire like a WWF contestant eying his opponent, the bead breaking and tube removal process went a whole lot easier than expected....with a bit of dish soap mixture under the tire rim, it went on smoother than........ (you fill in the analogy)...

Trelleborgs are difficult to find in the USA I have been told, but are relatively easy to get here....made in the same place as Mitas, but have different rubber compounds.

Trellie w/ red stripe....you have to ride them until you wear off the red stripe :

This is a pic of the Trellie I used in '05 that had 2500kms of Baja...and I would say it had about 1/4 of the tread left...

And as you can see....I had not ridden the red stripe off yet

The day was not lost....Darren came up with the brilliant idea of riding east along the East Cape Road and find a beach so we could chillax in the right atmosphere...

It took some time to encourage Darren to relax from the ride...but this guy is Two-Wheel Guy from an early age and he likes to WATGATT

Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #53
DRS Canada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Talking Great work Ged

I never realized I gave the finger that much. The report is coming along nicely, the photos are great as I am seeing yours for the 1st time. Its hard to decompress from this trip as part of me wants to be there now (instead of working, go figure). I'll get up to speed here and pick up my commentary moving forward. Al the fisherman is a great memory. I mean we've all been "that guy", but he was a piece of work, happy, harmless, and hammered. As well, Gary from Wisconsin was the gentleman on the '07 Goldwing in La Paz. He was basing out of La Paz from Oct - Feb, happy trails Gary !

Later, Darren
DRS Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #54
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Another great update!! Thanks for the sunny and funny pics and the report.. it sure warms us up here in the and snowy homeland..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #55
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Canada
I never realized I gave the finger that much. The report is coming along nicely, the photos are great as I am seeing yours for the 1st time. Its hard to decompress from this trip as part of me wants to be there now (instead of working, go figure). I'll get up to speed here and pick up my commentary moving forward. Al the fisherman is a great memory. I mean we've all been "that guy", but he was a piece of work, happy, harmless, and hammered. As well, Gary from Wisconsin was the gentleman on the '07 Goldwing in La Paz. He was basing out of La Paz from Oct - Feb, happy trails Gary !
Later, Darren
Darren, you don't give the salute THAT often.....but it appears here as a punctuation mark ...kinda like me comatose and holding a quart of beer on the beach at night ....or wearing my water jug party hat....or do we do those things that frequently ????

Glad you have begun to fill in some of the spaces of the trip with some of the more specific details.....ever since that incident at the airport with those guards and that bump on the head, my memory has been a bit different

As this ride report has kicked up dust, Irecognize that there are some great stories yet to be told.....and they have been either shelved for legal reasons or due to editorial malfunction....

but many of them are yet to be kickstarted....and will roar to life before this damned story is over

There are the ones about The Beauty...

and The Beast....

The kind faces along the road...

... and the hospitality of the innkeepers...

....and the spiritual experiences along the way...

Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #56
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,454
And once again, I am reminded why I stay in the basement

Ged,

Great trip,

if I turned any greener, they would have to amputate me....

Here I am, stuck on the treadmill, waiting for the end of college tuition for the girls, and a chance to enjoy such an experience...

Sigh...someday...

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #57
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
Ged,

Great trip,

if I turned any greener, they would have to amputate me....

Here I am, stuck on the treadmill, waiting for the end of college tuition for the girls, and a chance to enjoy such an experience...

Sigh...someday...
Trixie,
I don't know how many girls you have or how many years of indenture you are consigned to, but you might just trade one for a good bike

Or if that is too drastic, buy some old dirt biker's gear and sit in that basement pretending to be recovering from the Paris-Dakar....something like that

Glad it is making you envious....it is driving Darren and me nuts recognizing the rides we let slip by as we review the trip...

Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #58
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Meanwhile, back at the beach....

On the road east of town I discovered an invisible tope with my front wheel that ejected me off my seat and had me hovering at the balance point over my bars at about 40 mph.....it was only good fortune that allowed me to regain proper instead of having a serious dump with the bike rolling over me....

We scouted some potential locations and.....

And not wanting to rile the "Private Property gods", we rode over some downed barbed wire to find a spot that offered us sun, sand, seclusion, and a VERY fine afternoon of playing in the waves...
We parked the bikes sort of out of sight of the local traffic and reminded ourselves....beaches can't be private....what if we were shipwrecked....

well, rationalizing got us through a lot of similar moral dilemmas...

We made friends on the beach...

Until they turned on us...

The beach was totally deserted ....

and had a good wave program that we enrolled in...although this pic does not do the waves justice...

The hills hopefully will escape the developers for a while...

As the days got a bit jumbled .... another day....another beach day with waves a bit less thrilling... but some more challenging beach parking...

motoged screwed with this post 01-31-2007 at 08:44 AM
Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #59
DRS Canada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nice work Ged. I have to ask what WATGATT means ? I have to assume it deals with speed, style or grace but maybe you could enlighten me. I'm looking forward to whats yet to come. The cast of characters steps up a level shortly. Craft your story well Yoda, may the you be with the force...
DRS Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #60
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Canada
Nice work Ged. I have to ask what WATGATT means ? I have to assume it deals with speed, style or grace but maybe you could enlighten me. I'm looking forward to whats yet to come. The cast of characters steps up a level shortly. Craft your story well Yoda, may the you be with the force...
Darren,

"Wear All The Gear All The Time".....code talk, eh?! ....meaning full of style, grace, and .......

As you can see from some of our story here, I have jumbled a few of the days up.....your recollection may be more accurate, but I know I am following the geographical progression....north to south....and south back up to the north....

Read on.....

San Jose del Cabo offers some good restaurants....one of our other "Best Meals" was in a restaurant "upstairs somewhere downtown"....my directional recollection was hampered by Darren pouring "BIG" rum and Pepsis all evening ...

and, when I was ready to fall asleep (8:00 pm or so), Darren announced we should walk the 5 blocks into town for dinner.

Well, I appeared to have agreed and we made our way....he later joked about my "stiff-legged walk as if I was leaning into a gale-force wind"...
a nice way to recognize my staggering....(which I later tried to at least partially attribute to my deteriorating knee cartilage problem...to not much avail).

On the way we passed a hot dog stand and I ordered two for us as Darren had not yet enjoyed the culinary treat of street-stand Mexican hot dogs...we inhaled them while sitting on a curb before heading towards the aforesaid upstairs restaurant where we had an exquisite filet mignon that could be cut with a fork.....a steak that almost made up for the Cowboy Steak Special in La Paz the week before....

San Jose was the turning point of this adventure....midway in terms of our month on the road and midway as it was the southern tip of the Baja....from here on in any riding or travelling was on the downhill side of the trip....

A well-rolled smoke from time-to-time makes any day a bit more enjoyable...imported is always better....

A good breakfast is always a treat...

The courtyard of the same place in San Jose....

and the detail....

A Mexican GSer from Chihuahua (currently living in Colorado) with his cousin from France...

The Super Pollo delivery guy with a chain slipped off the sprocket....

The other guy NOT WATGATT...

You add your own caption....:

Buzzard's Bar and Restaurant on East Cape Road after a beach day...

With some pretty birds...

....and a nice view...

motoged screwed with this post 02-01-2007 at 12:32 AM