Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #76
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
The first time I ever rode into Bahia de los Angeles was in late January/95 on my 1981 R80 G/S....

at the end of a month-long ride all over the Baja.....I was coming out of the trail from the San Borja mission and not particularly happy to be on my slow way home.....

I did not know what to expect at Bay of LA when I first arrived that day and I did not get a favourable impression of the place ....it was cold and windy and overcast, no one seemed to be around, and the place that sold gas was deserted....and the only place I could see that offered food only had pea soup......many strikes against that place that day.....

"THAT PLACE" ................."THAT DAY"....these are two new concepts that should be linked up with "THAT GUY" of Gaspipe fame...

My sentiments regarding B of LA have changed and I quite like it these days...

Darren and I first went to Guillermo's to check out accomodation, but were not impressed with the quality of the room for the price being asked....$50 for a room that was being used for storeage....the same price as what Victoria was asking for her primo rooms at La Costa del Sol...

Electricity in Bola is generated and some of the accomodations in town have no electricity available after 9 or 10 pm....Victoria's establishment has 24 hour juice....a good thing...

Victoria is a gracious host ....;

This establishment appears to have been built in the late 90's....it is very well kept, has a good restaurant, and is given a 3 star rating by Los Dos Pendejos Accomodation Guide...

Security was not a large concern for us here...

and the parking lot was part of the courtyard ....

and the whole concept works well....you can see the ocean, admire your bikes, and witness the arrival of new guests all from the luxury of your room's view...

The Bahia is undergoig soem significant improvements these days....they have 2 ....count ' em....2 Pemex stations....one of them is even open and sells diesel and regular gas....and appears to also be a property of Victoria's...Go, Girl....l

The main street is being improved....

Victoria's restaurant is cozy and has a selection of caps on one wall behind the bar and another wall adorned with pics from folks who have enjoyed their stay here....

Upon closer inspection, I recognized one group photo to be that of a group of riders .....most of them being from my hometown of Kamloops, BC... These guys are hardcore expert riders ....

I do not know all these guys, but....

......on yer left is Al Perrett, in his late 60's and a Baja 1000 winner enough times to give him serious "cred" ...he is the guy who sold me my first dirt bike seven years ago ('93 Husqvarna 350 WXE)

Al is a Canadian legend in many ways and certainly deserves that respect....and is one of those classy guys who can hold his own with the best of them and is very humble about it all ...Darren noted that "You can't swing a cat in the Baja without hitting somebody who knows Al !"...

Al is currently building a place in BOLA and deserves to enjoy Baja as a second home.

....he has been organizing an invitational enduro ride in Kamloops annually the past few years....the "Around the Peaks" ride is a circuit that changes every year up at the Sun Peaks ski resort....and is a late September ride..

Al looks good in pink...

The ride's start is easy enough...

and the real fun begins when the gravel ends ...

Some guys just love the "rocks and roots" theme

and some others love it all...Reid Daruda, another local great rider...never complains, but his expression tells ya a bit...

Al's kind of ride may often hear him say...."The trail is around here....I rode it the other day...."

But enough about Al....

Back to the pic on the wall....the guy in front with his arm around Victoria is Robin, the ace mechanic at Al's HD dealership in Kamloops and newly back into dirt riding after being a motocrosser in a previous life....and just behind him to the right (also in stylish black) is Shawn Doddington, expert rider (ISDE) and a salesman at the HD dealership...and the guy on the far right (sorry, forgot his name)....is also a Kamloops rider...

Early morning ....La Costa del Sol....que bonita...

Our first ride out of BOLA was a half-day ride to San Borja Mission...

About 15 minutes of pavement and then a good road to the mission...

Some sand at first, but mostly the usual...

San Borja mission....a story unto itself....

More to come .....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #77
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
OK this might be a really dumb question. It seems to me that on this trip there was some serious Margarita drinking. Is the ice safe? You won't die from drinking one of these puppies in one of the small towns? And if some offer purified water ice and some don't how do you know? I want to drink many margaritas when I go down there

Hepatitis B and C are your biggest risks from contaminated ice or whatever else.. Get the Twinrex (sp?) vaccine and enjoy worry free margaritas...

First things first

In all of about 4 weeks in Baja, Darren and I did about 3 margarita events....two being mood-altering with no legal or significant health issues developing as a result....the pictures presented here in no way encourage, endorse, or promote such behaviour.....they are simply presented for your viewing pleasure and to get the odd alcoholic twitching ....and to entertain the rest of you FF's in a manner that portrays us as die-hard, intrepid , boisterous he-men types....do NOT do this at home ....do NOT encourage children to try this behaviour without first consulting with their parents/caregivers/day-care operators...and do not participate in such activities without wearing the appropriate protective gear....

As for health concerns....

Baja tends to have better quality H2O than the mainland, most restaurants have purified ice....and the rest of the time you take you chances....the Twinrix idea is a very good suggestion...

Traveller's "squirts" is an activity that can be enjoyed at home as well as when travelling outside your neighbourhood.....a month before we left I developed the worst case of intestinal disruption EVER in BC....I think it was contracted in a sushi bar in Vancouver or with a clubhouse sandwich in Kamloops....

Good luck when travelling....carry the proper medicine and a roll of toilet paper

Darren had some immodium with him and used it when in La Paz...immodium is an opium-based product (or derivative wannabe) which deals with the shits by stopping the peristaltic action of the intestine....thus bunging you up and keeping all that bacteria inside (not good)....and should only be taken after a few days of the squirts if needed....other treatments are preferable in the early stages of the problem...

Hepatitas is quite a different problem that Twinrix should help with...

Dr. Ged over and out

Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #78
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

San Borja mission....

This young man presented himself as our guide...I wish I could remember his name....he grew up here and is a very knowledgeable fellow....he is working on restoration projects inside and outside the mission and knows his stuff...."respect...for real" ...

Park your ride in the shade and c'mon and take the tour

Another "backside"......

Some restoration of the earliest adobe mission...

The wood shutters and doors are new....

but the rest is the real thing...

A cistern carved out of one piece of stone....used for water ...and others for wine....

Wanna see inside????

This piece was imported from Spain and was a spout for rainwater....it was made from a pumice type stone and was relatively light in weight...

Darren hoping to get in a good word....

Some old stuff...

And a VERY cool spiral stairway...

Each step being identical, is just placed and rotated..

And up you go...

The belfrey...

The room with a view...

Looking northwest...

and west to the gardens...

and southwest to the hotspring...

.... and south...

And when I commented to our guide on the immensity of such a construction project 200 years ago...I asked how they built not only such high walls, but arched and domed roofs/ceilings without scaffolding, he informed me that they would fill the building with sand so as to raise the floor to a level which allowed construction to be done without scaffolding....THAT is a lot of shovelling

So, let's go down and do some riding....

As we were getting our gear back on, the guide informed us of a trail that "would be fun on a bike" that could be found several kms west of the mission...."when you come to the first rancho west of here, you will see an overturned van just east of the rancho...turn right there....it will take you back to the road you came in from ...the dirt road leading to the highway back to Bahia de los Angeles...."...

So we did....

The shot above was past the first bit of technical stuff...it got easier...

the trail almost disappeared at times,...

and then reappeared as a great faster ride...

Back to Bahia de los Angeles...for a putt around the north end of town...

More later...........

motoged screwed with this post 02-03-2007 at 02:33 PM
Old 02-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #79
irishdec
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Laugh Keep those pics commin

Enjoying your pics and ride report,dont stop!!!!!,(except for a smoke and a pic)
irishdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #80
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Folks, about those concerns regarding margarita consumption

Some days a Margarita Project has certain effects on two riding buddies

Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #81
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Back in Bay of LA....as the San Borja jaunt was our first ride from this base, we decided to take a little puff north of town...past the open Pemex...the paved road took a few right and left handers....the pavement ended but the road continued....as it was approaching Happy Hour, I suggested we ride down to a new resort I had heard mixed reviews about..."La Ventana...The Winds" is an appropriate name as it is on a windy section of the beach (not uncommon here)....a nice place for a beer...no one else there but us and two staff...

And as the afternoon light was getting close to "PERFECT", i snapped a few...

In the meantime Darren was grokking it on the beach...

Schmoozing the jefe...

...and like that they disappeared...

And I just kept snappin' .....

Swim up bar.....

Like a deer in the headlights....

And then a pleasant scoot back to Victoria's ....with nothing much else planned except a beverage before dinner....after a shower and the usual, we were chillaxing....but another story presented itself....the STEALTH TRUCK....

More on "THAT TRUCK" later......

Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #82
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,337
There's some 'gaspipe' memorabilia at Victoria's place in BoLA. A day or two after I got hit by a buggy and busted my hand in Puertocitos, I ended up there. Great food and a fantastic host. For the last few years, about the only good thing about Bay of LA was the view when you decended from the pass, and a fish taco and a beer for lunch at Guillermo's. I stopped staying there overnight. I about gave up on BoLA until that place sprung up.

Same deal on San Francisquito. I used to like that place, but it's just run down and the prices keep going up. Only there's no Victoria to re-up the ante.

Last year, Ricardo [Rice and Beans] has told me he was opening up a new place on the coast north of San Ignacio. Any intel on that? Since I love the Vizcaino Peninsula and exploring out there, I'm thinking about taking the bike over on a ketch to Cedros and riding there for a day. I don't know anyone who ever has.

Great ride. I hope you bastages left some caguamas for me.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 02-03-2007 at 09:22 PM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #83
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
There's some 'gaspipe' memorabilia at Victoria's place in BoLA. ........snip......Last year, Ricardo [Rice and Beans] has told me he was opening up a new place on the coast north of San Ignacio. Any intel on that? Since I love the Vizcaino Peninsula and exploring out there, I'm thinking about taking the bike over on a ketch to Cedros and riding there for a day. I don't know anyone who ever has.

Gaspipe,
That gang of riders from Kamloops in that pic from Victoria's did a ride up the east coast from San Ignacio to San Francisquito last year (killer hard ride, apparently...they ran out of gas, drinking water, and low water in rads....Shawn had to ride out for gas rescue ride....saved the day) and Al told me last year that part of a road recently pushed in to part of that area was washed out in hurricane Juan in Sept/06....he was re-riding it recently and will be doing it again this coming week....so I will get intel in about three weeks...

Just north of Los Barriles is a high class hacienda in the middle of F'in nowhere....you can see it on Google Earth....Shawn rode into it that night he was searching for gas for the group....tricked out 4 X 4's , quads, bikes, boats, and all that.....no one around but the marine radio was on and transmitting....spooky wierd he said....siphoned some gas and got outta there...

Ensenada Trinidad might be the general location of Ricardo's new plan, but I am just guessing...

Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #84
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
....snip.... I'm thinking about taking the bike over on a ketch to Cedros and riding there for a day. I don't know anyone who ever has.

Cedros....take pics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedros_Island

And I do believe there is a caguama in the cooler back in the room

Old 02-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #85
DRS Canada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nicely gone Ged. Quick fact : the gent on the right is Floyd (group photo) we dropped a tire for him @ Rice and Beans. The Borja trip was a nice one and our host, whose name eludes me as well, filled in alot of blanks for me and was a genuine nice guy. His description of the trail we should try was to turn at the "broken van"" which highlights the quasi communication that filled my trip as my spanish really doesn't exist. The turn was at the completely stripped wreck of a cargo van, unmistakable but comical. Keep up the good work. As well, Al's technique of teaching new off-roaders to stand rather than sit is still effective isn't it ? (see husky photo)
DRS Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #86
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Darren (DRS),
Yep, that Husky without a seat would encourage ANYONE to be on the pegs...

My proctologist encouraged me to install the seat for most rides....

....and that San Borja trail was the closest we came to a rocky challenge....I believe I was on my pegs for the first half mile....

As I was saying earlier, Darren and I came out of our respective rooms at Costa del Sol after that San Borja / Las Ventanas day to see this STEALTH TRUCK parked in front of our rooms....

Walking around it a few times to examine the nature of this beast, we wondered whose was it ???? ....and what the hell was concealed inside....

During the trip we had both wished we could see some UFO's (why, I don't know, but it seemed like a reasonable adventure-travel request)....and considered that perhaps this rig was somehow involved with that request...

We didn't mind that it was bravely parked at our doorstep...

....and I needed to make contact with the alien ship just to confirm the veracity of our ocular experience.....as Darren was FULLY aware of my propensity to locate phenomena in context with the full realm of .......

THE MATRIX .....

Establishing tactile resonance with the perceptual realm, it was not more than a few minutes when two guys appeared....almost as if from nowhere

We greeted them in our best Spanish and were pleased to hear them respond in English...

Establishing the notion that they were indeed earthlings, we entered into a most rewarding conversation there in the parking lot, later in my room examining the Baja Almanac, and , after that, over dinner....

One of the guys was a wirey gentleman who appeared to be in his 60's, while the other was a younger man likely in his late 20's or a bit older.

It seemed that these guys were initially drawn to Darren and this was because of their mutual appreciation for Husaberg motorcycles...

it seemed that these guys were not a father & son team (something that folks often assumed about Darren and I....), but were riders who themselves were exploring parts of the Baja....and were both Husaberg riders.....and their bikes were inside the STEALTH TRUCK...as the conversation spun, I mentioned that we were planning to ride down to San Francisquito and base out of there for a few days....and possibly looking for the killer ride our Kamloops buddies had done the previous year....and I innocently referred to that ride as being on the "Malcolm Smith Trail" from San Ignacio up the coast of the Sea of Cortez to San Francisquito....the older gentleman seemed to sit up in his chair with that comment and said,

"Who called it the 'Malcolm Smith Trail' ? "

Sensing some level of transgression on my part, I apologetically reworded my attribution , "Well, that's what one of the guys called it....I don't know why...maybe it has another name...."

When in the Baja, you meet a range of riders with varying riding interests, skill levels, and attitudes....

They range from poorly prepared folks who mistake "Adventure Riding" with what ends up sometimes being "Misadventure Riding", to adequately prepared and skilled riders who explore the mid-range of routes (double-tracking mostly), to those who you rarely see because they are doing SERIOUS trail riding.

Continuing with the elder's piqued interest, it was not long before the younger fellow, Greg, piped up with some frames of reference to this conversation.....

It seems that we were enjoying the company of the Baja legend, Bill Nichols.... Baja 1000 winner of his class on "more occasions than you have had hot meals"...

Bill, known by some as 'The Rock Man", not only because of his Arizona business of having a "decorative rock quarry", but more likely because he develops Baja trails that make Malcolm Smith wince with trepidation.

Greg went back to his rom and returned with a photocopied article from the May, 2000 edition of Dirt Bike magazine....."The Rock Man and the Legend"....an article describing a "Pacific-to-Cortez" ride over previuosly unridden terrain that Bill had been scouting by bike and airplane over a period of years....That particular ride also included Malcom (The Legend??)
Smith and his son, Joel Smith, Jim O'Neal, Gene and Sam Dempsey, Danny Ragland, Ron Lawson, Tom Webb, Jimmy Scones, Scott Burrus, Jim Sims,.... and an ADV Rider, Corky Berle, another Arizona desert rat with his own Baja cred.....some of these names might ring more bells for readers here than they do for me....but Corky had briefly responded to some of my earlier Baja queries on the "Baja Nomads Forum".....and is a contributor to this forum...

It seems that Bill may have figured Malcolm was his guest on that ride.....but I'm not gonna mess with Bragging Rights between those two guys....

Set back on my heels a bit with this revelation, I let Bill know that it was Al Perrett and his crew who had described their extreme challenge on that San Ignacio - San Francisquito ride....Bill said, "Oh yeah....I know Al..." and a new level of "Six Degrees of Separation" took form...and when I shared this story with Al after our return from this trip, he indicated that he had learned of that trail having ridden it with Bill a year or so earlier....

Bill said that he had not been in touch with Al for a handful of time or so and wasn't sure how to get hold of him....Darren volunteered the info that he had Al's phone # in his laptop...and returned with it for Bill....who surprisingly whips out his sat-phone and dials Al....back in Kamloops...

"Al, it's Bill Nichols.....Biil Nichols....yeah....I am down here in Bay of LA with a couple of your riding partners from KAmloops having dinner.... yeah, .......Bill Nichols...."

While I have very few regrets regarding thsi Baja trip (a few rides planned but not taken ...."next time"), I DO REGRET passing on Bill's invitation to join him and Greg the next day exploring a new bi-coastal trail he is developing (he bluntly refused to indicate even roughly where it was located ).

It may have been my shyness, sense of "I am not worthy", too many beers, or the illusion that we already had a plan for the next day's ride....but I turned it down

We swapped more ride stories, talked bikes, and eventually headed off on our respective ways ....

The truck was gone by dark-0'thirty the next morning.....a silent early morning departure with nary a sound....vanished as if it had never been there.....a spectre....a moment of privilege....pure STEALTH

The plan for the day was to change the oil and filters, do a laundry, and prep for a ride south to San Francisquito the following day....

motoged screwed with this post 02-04-2007 at 10:07 PM
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #87
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Before we could head out for San Francisquito, we had some chores to attend to....bike maintenance....laundry....breakfast....stuff like that...

Darren found a place in the morning shade behind the motel....an area which was home to some other heavy machinery...

While I preferred to work in the sun....Behind me is a stack of used Pirelli MT 21's....good enough for a desperate rider in need....

A late morning brunch at Guillermo's ....

.....gave Darren a chance to establish a meaningful relationship with the pelicanos...

Hanging around waiting for a fish or two, I suppose....

The focus of interest shifted to a returning panga...couple of gringo's with their guide....they tried to haul the trailer out with the guys in the panga....

But that didn't work as the trailer wasn't really hooked up on the hitch ball...

So after some jockeying, fancy rope work, and tire spinning, the gringos were hauled up on the beach....all the while ignoring the pelicans feasting on their catch in the back of the panga....great entertainment...

Peace and calm returned to la playa....

As the day developed, more riders pulled up to Victoria's....in a hurry to find rooms and not much into conversation at that point...

Some A-Type room searching was going on...

As just before these bikes pulled up, a large truck arrived and a story developed...

A tall, lanky fellow emerged from the beast and proceeded to ensure that previous room arrangements were in order....

Sitting with a cerveza and a glow, I asked if this meant that a bunch of noisy bikes were to follow....and he assured me that was the case...

And that is how the story of The Trail Boss Gang began....

Old 02-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #88
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

I think his name was Dan....(but Darren will point out later it is Tim)....I had the number of letters in his name

The tall and quiet support truck driver was a hard-working guy for the Trail Boss....he was silently efficient, polite, and got it all done without a word...

He drove the truck in almost an hour before the tour's first rider pulled in to Victoria's....he had the rider's gear bags out of the truck and arranged for pickup, a table of refreshments set out, and a hundred other details on the go....

The first rider to pull up was a guy in blue.....blue Yamaha 450....with a new BIG Acerbis tank (a feature which was added to my 450 EXC just for this trip and which had a list of "Pros & Cons" about THAT long), blue riding gear....

He walked by and without much more than a nod, acknowledged out loud that "That tank is way to F'n big !" I didn't disagree and figured it was as good an opening comment as anything.....within a handful of minutes, a few other riders pulled up to the front of the motel and Blue Guy directed them to pull around by the back....one of them got to chatting a bit and he seemed like a friendly sort...

About 20 minutes or so passed and the Blue Guy headed out on his bike again and headed south....the direction from whence he came....I continued my conversation with Friendly Sort and learned that, while he taught road racing and did some other work for testing motorcycles (in a way which wasn't clearly described), this was his first Baja tour.....

With the hubbub of some riders arriving and trying to get rooms and arrangements sorted out, I sat back a bit and tried to stay out of their way.
I had operated some GS tours in BC for a few years and appreciated the myriad of things going on when a group arrives at a destination....and it was relaxing to watch the OTHER GUY have to "herd the cats"....
While part of me just wanted to jump in and converse, another part of me respected that their group didn't need me underfoot....

Before too much time passed, Friendly Guy came up to me holding his 2-way radio....he was talking to someone he kept referring to as "Trail Boss" on the walkie-talkie in a manner that seemed serious....and then said to me...."We need somebody like you" ....as he was looking at my truck parked there....

"Strange...", I thought ..... "he isn't wall-eyed or anything like that, but he is talking to me while looking at my truck...???"

Friendly Guy was interspersing his dialogue with whoever Trail Boss Guy was (something I was beginning to look forward to figuring out) with glances at me and then my truck....

"We have a rider injured 5 miles up the road....can you go and get him and his bike?", was Friendly Guy's clarification of expectation.

"He is five miles back south of town....he is OK but he has a broken collarbone or something. Can you take your truck?.... We will pay for the gas or buy you beers or something...."

I quickly considered the situation and asked Darren if he would come to assist....he was willing to return in the back with the bike as Injured Guy would likely need some room in the cab with me.

I told Friendly Guy, "Sure, let me go get my keys and rearrange the crap in the truck...." I put my beer on the ledge of the stone wall, went to get my keys, and got in the truck with Darren....."Ready For Action Guys", we were !!!!

We pulled out and drove around onto the street....we were in second gear when Friendly Guy was waving at us as he was running towards us....walkie-talkie in hand, confirming with Trail Boss directions and info....

"hey, you guys don't need to go...he's getting here okay"....

I was disappointed a bit to not be needed (family of origin issues, most likely ), but also a bit relieved that the truck was spared some bad road...

We drove back into the parking lot and resumed our location....but with a new sense of connection to this group ....Friendly Guy appreciated our lack of hesitation in responding to his request for assistance.

As Darren said...."Rider Down....that's what you do...."

I found my half-finished beer on the front wall and sipped as the commotion progressed....

This group seemed tight and a few were clearly energized in their solving the challenge of helping their injured partner....sat phones were humming and plans were developing....and before long a local doctor had been procured and it was agreed that he would drive the Injured Guy to Ensenada from where he could fly back to the US of A....and the fee of several hundred dollars seemed reasonable after all the variables were considered....

As the dust settled a bit, Blue Guy seemed to be a central figure to the commotion....and it became evident that Blue Guy was Trail Boss Guy....

"Solved that mystery". I thought....and that was good.

Friendly Guy and I chatted some more and he identified himself as a friend of Trail Boss Guy and that he was helping out with the ride as assistant slave and sweep.....

The plot thickened as it was presented to me....

Blue Guy = Trail Boss Guy = Chris Steward....head of the company (more on that later).....

And Friendly Guy = Thad Wolfe ....road racer and riding/race instructor, and the face behind the helmet on many a motorcycle mag test article or motorcycle company test project....

And I have to say....a pleaseure to have met them.....

As we talked, it became apparent that this was the group of riders I noticed leaving Cabo several days earlier .....

This group was a gathering of friends from Pennsylvania who had ridden with Chris previously....they were all experienced riders and seemed to be a tight group.....but not tight enough to want to hear from one of their members every time he extolled the virtues of Noxzema cream...
"It's great for monkey butt", he extolled. "I just smear it on in the morning"...at which point other group members would start to moan and leave the vicinity...."I have even cured my athlete's foot with it .... It's great stuff....!"

While I was willing to appreciate the medicinal value of our grandmother's favourite salve, not all his friend were.....

I now have a jar of it in my cabinet at home.....

Chris's Big Tank with killer Baja Designs light....

The place where their guy crashed was a washout vado at the entrance to Camp Gecko and is exactly the obstacle that caused Travis Pastrana to crash and burn his rig in November/06...

While it might not look that sinsister here, there are two of them about 50 feet apart....hit them at speed without knowing they are there .... and yer gonna get hurt....

In the pic above, the "dark strip" just beyond the vado is the scorched remnants of Pastrana's buggy....the stuff that they didn't trailer out....

During the period of time between Chris first riding up and the rescue truck cancellation....another show was on the road....

We heard and then saw some buggies/rails...whatever they are ......coming into town from the north end of town....a few came by at a reasonable speed and a few of us commented on them as they passed....

Before long one was arriving with....get this..........a local guy with his beater pick-up racing beside him....louder than hell and having a good race at that: clap

You would have to see it and hear it to get the full effect of the humour in this situation.....a $500 truck passing a $$$$$$$$$ race vehicle....

Darren wandered to the next door motel to take a boo....

Darren has the story on this bit.....one of the rigs was a class winner in Baja 1000 '06.......they also had a truck with a trailer carrying a spare buggy....and spare motor....

Details.....

motoged screwed with this post 02-06-2007 at 09:07 PM
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #89
hitanshu
Free-Rider

Oddometer: 67
Thumb

In one word - FantastiC!!
hitanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #90
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

The day the Trail Boss Gang left, Darren and I were hanging out....a few more riders showed up and, after conversations unwound, they indicated that they were riding around for a few days to get a Baja taste.....as they had to return to San Diego.....To go on a Trail Boss Tour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go figure....LESS than "6 degrees of separation"

The plan to go to San Francisquito was delayed a day or so when we decided to ride up to Coco's Corner first....

The day was a gorgeous sunny repeat....I was about 20 kms out of BOLA when I realized why I felt so "free-and-easy" riding that day....I had forgotten to put on my pack w/ camelback and camera....always being THAT GUY, I did not dare tell Darren I wanted to go back and get it....so I have no pics of that day....Darren does....

The ride from downtown BOLA is on pavement for 55 kms to a turn-off heading north at km 11 (in from the HWY #1)....

The 5 pics below are from my '05 ride ...

This delightful hardpacked sand lasts a very short while and becomes deeper sand, whooped out sand and hard-pack, and twists and turns with enough surprises to keep a rider on their toes....

Approaching the Calamuje wash, a rider will notice a sulphuric odour in the air....as this often wet stretch has some hotspring action somewhere.....

Darren pointed out that some day this piece might just slide right off that hill....

The wash tends to consist of the following elements:
1) deep sand that worries a motor and begs for a steering damper;
2) wet sand that can be your friend after #1;
3) "stream bed" conditions that may hide ruts and rocks...or holes;
4) stinky muck that you don't want to fall into;
5) algae "hair" that clings to the bike for days afterwards and becomes a conversation piece with other riders

Arriving at Coco's, I see that once again he is redecorating....it is either floods, windstorms, or ennui that lead to his frequent redecorating binges....this is the most spartan I have seen his place out of the 4 times I have been there

Some other Good Ol Boys were already there....

....sipping cervezas when we arrived....

....on the patio....

But Coco wasn't there....he was "On vacation in Ensenada" according to the hospitable fellow corner-sitting...

The panty collection has been diminished somewhat from previous sightings..

But a glimpse inside Coco's home ....

....let's you know just what kind of company he keeps...

And Darren noticed that this babe had her legs autographed by Chris Steward and Thad Wolfe a day or so earlier.....hhmmmm....this "6 degrees of separation" thing gets distorted in the Baja it seems

Coco just doesn't seem to have enough pussy around...

And Darren maintains that when he took this next pic, he was totally focussed on the teeth on this sprocket...

HHmmmmmm.....that's not what I noticed

I suppose Coco has used this chair at some time....but judging by the tires, he has been doing some smoke-shows...

After a few Pacificos, el bano is a short walk away...

and for those who like to sit....

Coco's Pemex...

Coco's limo....

The ride back to Bola was a fast one....out to the highway to pass Calamujue and then back into the whoops before the paved stretch back into Bola...

San Francisquito was next....for real....