Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
The Fist OP
Knulp

Oddometer: 3,590
XR200 vs. CRF150F

For a beginner/intermediate rider --

The ttr-125 was too small.

The CRF-150F seems to fit well, and with the electric start (starting in 2006), it seems like a no-brainer.

But, Im having a hard time finding a CRF-150F for under $2500, not to mention finding one locally...

So, the XR200 comes to mind..Obviously, a fairly bullet proof bike, but the lack of an e-start has me a bit concerned. The seat height is an inch higher than the CRF-150F, but if necessary, I could have the XR lowered.

C-list shows a fair amount of these available (a nice lookin' 02 for under $2k)...

Any thoughts on the two bikes? The goal would be to have bike that can be grown in to...meaning, beginner trail rides at first but would want a bike that could be dual-sported and somewhat tour-capable. Is the suspension on the newer CRF-150F superior to the XR?

Also, does anyone know if the XR200 requires a new/rewound stator for a headlight?

Thanks.

The Fist screwed with this post 01-27-2007 at 01:34 PM
The Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Not having ever ridden a CRF150, I can't comment on it but I brought an 02 XR200 for my son over a year ago which I have been having a fair amount of fun on myself. The thing is indeed bulletproof and the lack of an e-start has not really been an issue, and we ride in some very technical trail. The bike is VERY easy to ride, and can take you just about anywhere. Our's starts up on the first or second kick and runs great. If you're buying it for yourself, and you weight more that 150 or so, the suspension could probably use some beefing up but only if you intend to do anything crazy. I weight over 200 lbs and ride my sons with not problem.

I'm a firm believer in the phrase that "a picture is worth a thousand words", so here's some picks of my son on his.

"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
FerdBurple

Oddometer: n/a
We've had: '85 XR200 and '05 CRF230. Both are great bikes, cant go wrong with either. Electric start was nice but the 200 kicked over so easy and lit on the first one so wasnt really a drawback. The 230 was DS'd and didnt mind running with the headlight on, never lost the battery. The 200 had a fantastic saddle, 230 not so good. Both had fairly neutral ergonomics, comfortable layouts. Given my druthers I'd probably go with the 200 for the simplicity of the machine.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
The Fist OP
Knulp

I've poked around a little bit on Thumpertalk and am beginning to feel like the XR200 is the way to go...

Along the lines of what Ferd mentioned, I think that I may be placing too much importance on an e-start...

Those pics are fantastic, eduardobibm....thanks for sharing....

Keep the commentary comin'.....thanks again.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Will, if you're planning on lowering it and installing a headlight, why not get an XR250R and lower that? The 250R is a great bike. You could literally buy and keep it forever. I've ridden an XR200. It's a nice bike but it's not in the same universe as the 250R IMO.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
The Fist OP
Knulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
Will, if you're planning on lowering it and installing a headlight, why not get an XR250R and lower that? The 250R is a great bike. You could literally buy and keep it forever. I've ridden an XR200. It's a nice bike but it's not in the same universe as the 250R IMO.
Not a bad idea -- but I don't think I'll need to lower the XR200 -- if someone has a XR250R, I'd love to check it out....how much higher is it from the XR200?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
My son loves his CRF230. Great little bike, all the advantages of the XR200 with a bit more power and estart. The lighting coil is a little light; with his lights on and rocky difficult trails and frequent use of the estart, he can run the batt flat. Easy to push start though!
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
funkydrum
Started 2-Smoking Again..

Oddometer: 373
My son also has a 230. I was looking for a late model 200 like Eduardo's but all the ones I could find were 'beaters'. The lack of kick start is a blessing and curse. I really didn't want another bike to keep on a tender...

That being said, the 230 is quite tame and really crawls in low gears to build confidence. The lighting coil does need to be re-wound if you want to run lights. Baja Designs can do the re-winds.

It has been a great bike with no issues. I think I paid $2K for it (one owner, aprox. 1.5 yrs old)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
The Fist OP
Knulp

the 230 was definitely too big for her when she sat on one the other day...

i guess it could be lowered, but I'm thinking the 200 maybe the best option.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
funkydrum
Started 2-Smoking Again..

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
the 230 was definitely too big for her when she sat on one the other day...

i guess it could be lowered, but I'm thinking the 200 maybe the best option.
Kouba makes a link for the 230. Lowered with the e-start would rock for a young lady and she could easily grow with it...
Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist
For a beginner/intermediate rider --

The ttr-125 was too small.

The CRF-150F seems to fit well, and with the electric start (starting in 2006), it seems like a no-brainer.

But, Im having a hard time finding a CRF-150F for under $2500, not to mention finding one locally...

So, the XR200 comes to mind..Obviously, a fairly bullet proof bike, but the lack of an e-start has me a bit concerned. The seat height is an inch higher than the CRF-150F, but if necessary, I could have the XR lowered.

C-list shows a fair amount of these available (a nice lookin' 02 for under $2k)...

Any thoughts on the two bikes? The goal would be to have bike that can be grown in to...meaning, beginner trail rides at first but would want a bike that could be dual-sported and somewhat tour-capable. Is the suspension on the newer CRF-150F superior to the XR?

Also, does anyone know if the XR200 requires a new/rewound stator for a headlight?

Thanks.
I learned quite a bit about these bikes prior to and while I was putting together my wife's custom bike (see my sig line below, if interested in that project.) Re suspension, the XR seems a bit better to me, but they're all adequate for trail riding, until you start pushing the speeds and/or hitting whoops, etc., at which point they are all inadequate.

I went with the 230F motor because of the e-start and my wife's strong preference for it. Having said that, these motors are easy to kick start, especially once you get a feel for the process.

The downside to the XR200 motor is the gearbox. It is simply weaker than the newer CRFs. The difference is more theoretical unless you start riding it hard and slamming gears, power shifting, etc., but if the tranny fails it will do so in the 200 motor before you would see that in either the 150 or the 230.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
The Fist OP
Knulp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
I learned quite a bit about these bikes prior to and while I was putting together my wife's custom bike (see my sig line below, if interested in that project.) Re suspension, the XR seems a bit better to me, but they're all adequate for trail riding, until you start pushing the speeds and/or hitting whoops, etc., at which point they are all inadequate.

I went with the 230F motor because of the e-start and my wife's strong preference for it. Having said that, these motors are easy to kick start, especially once you get a feel for the process.

The downside to the XR200 motor is the gearbox. It is simply weaker than the newer CRFs. The difference is more theoretical unless you start riding it hard and slamming gears, power shifting, etc., but if the tranny fails it will do so in the 200 motor before you would see that in either the 150 or the 230.
Interesting...thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
~dirtgirl~
Dirty girl!

Oddometer: 35
My first dirtbike was an XR200, I loved it, it was low, comfy when seated and easy to start (despite no magic button) it is an old school bullet proof starter bike. The only down side was the drum brakes front & rear. I raced mine and did OK on it but the lack of brakes on the big hills made me upgrade to the CRF230 which I LOVE! Yes it is a little higher but has more power off the bottom end than the 200, the seat sucks but then I stand/crouch mostly when riding so no biggy. The brakes are awesome despite still having a rear drum, and the magic button is oh so sweet. I would totally recommend the XR200 as a starter bike, I put lights on mine and had to get a voltage regulator to make it work ( not a coil)
They are reasonably priced too due to the new CRF's. Another option would be a BBR frame with a 230 engine? I know the BBR's don't come cheap but you can make up an awesome bike!

Here is a photo of me riding my old XR200, see it goes quick enough to make dust!!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
The Fist OP
Knulp

Excellent....yeah one of the first mods Im planning is to find an older XR250 and swap the forks/brakes with the XR200...I would then have longer travel and front disc brakes....(this is possible, right?)

thanks dirtgirl.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Hiya Willy
I had a 97 XR 200 that I put a Baja Designs kit and some progressive springs on and rode it for a few thousand miles before selling it for close to what I paid. The thing was bullet proof, and easy to start. If somebody Really wants to ride, then kicking an XR 200 isn't going to detour them. My kids and I have since had a whole pile of XR's with no real trouble except a crank on one of the water cooled 650's

just my .02

Cheers
chain is offline   Reply With Quote