User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
how to clean BMW gas tank?

OK, to say I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground might be an understatement.
I have a '92 R100GS. What do I use to clean out the tank? It is the metal kind, with the paint on the inside. The dealer told me to use fresh gas, let it dry, use more fresh gas, I presume swirling it around, then let it dry again. At this point, I am almost afraid to try anything my local dealer says. SO. what should I use, and what is the technique?

Note: I am not currently having any problems that I am aware of, just doing some maintenance.
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
What condition is the inside paint in, and what is in the tank, rust? Or is is just stale gas?

If the lining is good and there is just gas crud, then your dealer has it right. If the lining is bad and there is rust, then it's a whole different story.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
budsboy
Well-Seasoned

Oddometer: 113
The way to clean the tank is -
Fill with fresh gas
Ride bike untill all the gas is gone
- Repeat

No need to do anything else -
budsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
ok, I can do that. Like I said, there is no rust that I am aware of. I have just read that it is good to clean the tank out once a year, to make sure there is no water in there etc., so I was looking for the procedure for that.
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Water

Water is the universal solvent. I use hot tap water with dish soap. Slosh it real well. Repeat. Rinse with hot tap water till it all comes out clear. let it dry in the sun for the afternoon. Next day, slosh some clean gas all around to get rid of any left over water.
You will be suprised how much crap comes out this way that plain gas leaves behind. YMMV
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
I just took my GS tank to the car wash after pulling the petcocks. .75 later and it was clean. One full tank of soap and the rest rinse. The liner was peeling and clogging the screens.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
Water is the universal solvent. I use hot tap water with dish soap. Slosh it real well. Repeat. Rinse with hot tap water till it all comes out clear. let it dry in the sun for the afternoon. Next day, slosh some clean gas all around to get rid of any left over water.
Yep, this is what I do as well. The 1/2-inch of gas left below the reserve tap holds a ton of junk in the tank that riding around will not get rid of.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote