User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 995
Kendon Dual Folding vs Aluma MC2F - review

After owning a Kendon dual standup for 4 years - I decided to buy an aluma MC2F that I just picked up today and I though I would share my impressions / thoughts on how it compares

Pro's

-The aluma is by far a better built (in terms of strength) trailer.
- truly all aluminum construction other than axle
- lighting is way better with led's, under mount directional, rear running lights a d two different pairs of side markers.
- the hitch mount is longer making it easier to backup.
- wider ramp that is much easier to hide away
- overall a much more thoughtfully designed trailer

Cons
- easily 100 lbs heavier than the kendon - which means: heavier to tow, heavier to move around by hand, very heavy to stand up
- the stand up wheels don't allow you to slide the trailer left to right. You can only wheel the trailer in a straight line which is a big compromise compared to the kendon that can be wheeled in any direction - which makes it very easy to tuck into corners etc.
- given the that the hitch mount is so long, it folds down so that when standing, the trailer is 90" inches. This is a little tricky to manage and when folded, it doesn't lay perfectly flush.
- the trailer is physically larger than the kendon (which is a pro as well)
- the deck is probably 6" higher than the kendon.

Summary

Clearly has pros and cons against the Kendon. If space is tight go kendon. If space is plentiful and you are upto dealing with the extra weight go aluma.

Ultimately, I think the perfect trailer lives somewhere between the two of these.

Let me know if you have any questions. When I was making my decision, I couldn't find any comparisons of these trailers
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Pics? Did you have Kendon's dirt bike trailer previously? How hard would it be to change the casters on the Aluma trailer? I know a guy with an older Kendon and he has wadded up the tag for the trailer folding his up more than once.

Flying Dave screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 09:12 PM
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have a newer (2010) Kendon Dirt Bike/Combo trailer. Assuming the OP has the same or similar trailer.

The Kendon is well built (at least mine is). I've no objections to quality.

Some (subjective) cons. None of these are deal breakers, just items of interest.

The middle rail tie down points for the handlebar are a bit small, they've changed them in this year's trailers. I haven't had any trouble though.

With the spare tire installed, there's only about 4" clearance between the spare tire & ground. A raised hitch/drawbar would help the clearance there.

The trailer is short & without a motorcycle it is hard to see so backing up can be tricky.

It is a stand up trailer, but don't be fooled it still weighs 400 lbs. It takes some effort to raise the trailer to standing position. I imagine not everyone could raise the trailer & it could be dangerous to do so.

It's around 7ft high when stood up. It probably won't wheel standing up into most garages. I have to wheel it laying down into my garage, lower my garage door, then fold the trailer up.

Standing up, it has three wheels. Two are swivel casters, the middle is a fixed wheel - going perpendicular to the direction of the road wheels. You can rotate the trailer, but it only moves in one axis. I suppose the best comparision to this is a standard shopping cart where the front wheels swivel and the rear wheels are stationary. This is probably done so people don't accidentlly tip the trailer over onto themselves pulling or pushing it.
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
awan247
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Dual folding is reliable . You should choose it for use.
awan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
tundra61 OP
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 995
The Kendon is a good trailer - in fact - it is probably exceptional. That said, the ALUMA is just the next level up in most areas.

My Kendon was an 07 dual meant for road bikes etc.

About the caster wheels - I was planning to look into swapping them for pivoting design. But even if swapped - there are only two currently mounted. There is not a 3rd like the kendon has.

I suppose something could be fabricated though.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote