Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM   #211
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Denatured alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy McGee View Post
Denatured alcohol just means they add what is effectively poision to it, so you can't drink it to get a buzz (the "nature" of alcohol is to make you drunk, so "de-naturing" it takes away that property). You can use any high-proof liquor to power the little stoves (151 proof rum or grain alcohol works fine) and shave even more weight by combining stove fuel and buzz fuel into one liquid. Grain alcohol doesn't taste all that bad when mixed with some koolaid or the like.
Look in the paint section of the hardware store, marine store (fuel for boat stove), auto supply store (yellow bottle of HEET fuel deicer).

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #212
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Look in the paint section of the hardware store, marine store (fuel for boat stove), auto supply store (yellow bottle of HEET fuel deicer).

Dave
In Canada HEET is in the automotive section under gas line antifreeze. Actually any gas line antifreeze will work as well.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #213
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,463
bump.................anybody get something new and cool for Christmas?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #214
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,885
My WR250R loaded for a one-nighter in November - hammock, 0 down sleeping bag, expel down mat, clothes, in Wally-world $6 dry bag behind seat; 12-pack Polar Bear cooler with beer, food behind that. Shoes on top under bungee net. Tools, compressor, tubes, stove, water filter, etc. in Wolfman saddle bags. Tank bag holds cameras, snacks, etc...

Same campsite next morning with hammock set up...
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #215
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post

Anyone have experience w/this mototraveling? I'm curious if it's a pain in the ass to clean before packing it up. How long does it take to clean?
Grilliput times 3.

It is best to set it up before breaking out the Crown Royal as they are a little fiddly. They are not at all dificult, especially if you use it occationally. It's no different than a tent, you just have to remember what part goes where. The size is about right for up to two people. There's not much cleaning to deal with as all the grease gets carbonized with the heat and the grill has a built in slot made for scraping char off the rods.

They are not the absolute lightest or cheapest solution but they are strong, work great, and very compact when stored.

Availability comes and goes in the US but Google Grilliput and you'll usually find an outlet.

Cheers.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #216
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,916
For shorter trips, if it doesn't fit in the GL Coyote & small tank bag, it stays home. With a canister stove, small cook kit, tent/bivy, bag, pad, food, tools, spares, tube, Crown Royal, extra clothes, camp shoes, folding saw, etc. it is probably 25 - 30 lb.

Camp.

For longer, multi-day trips I add a small river dry bag to carry a chair, 12x12 tarp, food, beers, grill, and other luxuries.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 05:01 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #217
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Grilliput times 3.

It is best to set it up before breaking out the Crown Royal as they are a little fiddly. They are not at all dificult, especially if you use it occationally. It's no different than a tent, you just have to remember what part goes where. The size is about right for up to two people. There's not much cleaning to deal with as all the grease gets carbonized with the heat and the grill has a built in slot made for scraping char off the rods.

They are not the absolute lightest or cheapest solution but they are strong, work great, and very compact when stored.

Availability comes and goes in the US but Google Grilliput and you'll usually find an outlet.

Cheers.
Just bought one from Amazon shipped for $35,another toy to play with at camp
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #218
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 567
I use something similar to the above but it is multifunctional. I can cut my firewood with it, start a fire and then broil a couple of steaks on it. Works great and packs up into itself. I carry it in my tool tube and keep the grill with my camp gear.

It even comes with a hack saw blade and a bone blade.

http://www.upgradeinnovations.com/camp.php
Old 01-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #219
btl68
semi-rolling stone

Oddometer: 293
I have the Grilliput, a Kermit Chair, Eureka Backcountry tent, now I want the coup de grace to finish MY version of lightweight camping...

http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #220
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by btl68 View Post
I have the Grilliput, a Kermit Chair, Eureka Backcountry tent, now I want the coup de grace to finish MY version of lightweight camping...

http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

I have the same equipment as you including the cot. Although my tent is a Sierra Design Clip Flashlight 2. I haven't used the grilliput grill (and I have the grilliput fire bowl as well) as have not had the need yet. The cot is a great addition and packs about as small as a blow-up mattress and pump but waaaaaaaay more comfortable. Last year I decided to get of the ground and went the hammock route. Now I have a complete set up for tent camping and hammock camping. The Kermit is the largest packed item but goes with either set up, I love that chair!

Or another reason to spend money

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #221
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,001
The cot seems interesting, but I wonder, does it have the same issues as a hammock as far as cold underneath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I have the same equipment as you including the cot. Although my tent is a Sierra Design Clip Flashlight 2. I haven't used the grilliput grill (and I have the grilliput fire bowl as well) as have not had the need yet. The cot is a great addition and packs about as small as a blow-up mattress and pump but waaaaaaaay more comfortable. Last year I decided to get of the ground and went the hammock route. Now I have a complete set up for tent camping and hammock camping. The Kermit is the largest packed item but goes with either set up, I love that chair!

Or another reason to spend money
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #222
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
The cot seems interesting, but I wonder, does it have the same issues as a hammock as far as cold underneath?

No not really. Since it does not rest on the ground the cold from the ground is not transmitted to you. The air under the cot, if winter or cold, does rob some heat but I never sleep solely on the cot but on a 3/4 thermorest mat on top of it. Or I sleep on a thin fleece blanket or poncho liner. You really can't sleep only on the cot in cold weather but you can't sleep on the bare ground in a tent or without a under-quilt in a hammock in cold weather either. You have to have some sort of insulation no matter what method you are using. Now, in warm weather it sleeps very comfortable in just a sleeping bag as the air circulates underneath it to keep you from sweating. Hope this helps.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #223
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,001
so basically, you are saying that its just like a hammock in that you have to have insulation underneath when its cold.

but feels 'cooler' in the summer, just like a hammock.

got it.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #224
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
so basically, you are saying that its just like a hammock in that you have to have insulation underneath when its cold.

but feels 'cooler' in the summer, just like a hammock.

got it.
exactly

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #225
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742

20120114165100-546