Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Goosy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
How bad is the 2008 to 2011 KTM 530 EXC motor?

Everyone tells me to avoid the 530 EXC from '08 to 2011 because the new motor design had a flaw in it's two chamber fluid design. The pre '08 RFS motor and the new design after 2011 have been recommended. What's been the local KTM owners experience here?
Goosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,532
Have you have a peek in KTMTalk?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
The 2008 and some of the 2009 motors had oil problems, which can be fixed with updated parts, or can even be modified to be single sump. 2010 and 11 didn't have oil problems.
In 2008, it was "OMG! burns oil! world is ending! save yourselves! go back to RFS!!!"
A few years later we see that everything else about the new motor lasts longer and is better than the RFS, even if the RFS is improved with aftermarket parts.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Goosy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Have you have a peek in KTMTalk?
No, I haven't have a peek there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
The 2008 and some of the 2009 motors had oil problems, which can be fixed with updated parts, or can even be modified to be single sump. 2010 and 11 didn't have oil problems.
In 2008, it was "OMG! burns oil! world is ending! save yourselves! go back to RFS!!!"
A few years later we see that everything else about the new motor lasts longer and is better than the RFS, even if the RFS is improved with aftermarket parts.
Thank you for a realistic answer.
Goosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,808
I bought a 450 excr new in 2008. It has always burned oil even thru two top end rebuilds and the second being done by Thumper with a cylinder replate.

So I just live with it and top it up after every ride.

The oil burning really has to be watched because there is only 600 cc in the engine. (Unless of course if you do the single sump mod.)

Some guys had problem with oil being transferred between engine and transmission. I didn't.

But the bike runs and handles great and I have really enjoyed riding it. I do everything from hard mountain single track to pavement on it.

Early models also had a bad cam with the automatic decompression nub being installed in the wrong place and maybe backwards. I finally replaced my bad cam this year to hopefully fix some starting problems.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,921
My 09 530 is a brick. I rebuilt it as a 610 with single sump cause we were there. Needed nothing after 4 years racing and as a loaner for my kids to borrow. Never used any oil, just ran and ran. No valves ever moved either.

If it needs anything internal in the next 5 years I'll be surprised. Put 2 hours of MX on it yesterday. It is a frigging freight train!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote