Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #1516
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser
Pics of bikes in dirt - man I want to go riding!
Do it!

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #1517
comptchecam
mex-pan

Oddometer: 6
xr400

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian
That's my feeling too - maintenence periods are quoted in HOURS not in terms of 1,000's of miles like any "normal" bike.

My 525 MXC is great fun, and I'd dearly like to get a comfy seat for it and take it on some long distance trips, but I'm concerned that its just gonna blow up at the worst possible time.

Convince me otherwise, and I'll take it with me to Norway and back at the end of next month. Otherwise, its beginning to look like I'll br acquiring and taking an XR400.
I did 7000 miles through central america on a 00XR400 with no major problems. Burned about a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Add some height to the gearing a bit, and its good to go.
comptchecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #1518
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
here's my addition, sorry for the crappy cell pics... and don't worry! I still got the dirt setup!
2003 525 exc

spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #1519
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Norway Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptchecam
I did 7000 miles through central america on a 00XR400 with no major problems. Burned about a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Add some height to the gearing a bit, and its good to go.
I told Leesbian just to take the 525 and go. It would hold up as well as any other bike and far better than the Brit singles I rode years ago. Try a BSA Victor for "reliability", ha-ha, especially compared to what KTM produces now! Anyway I never heard back from him.

If you DS the 525 it will hold up as well as anything. If you race it, which you can do but you cannot do with the Honda 400 nearly as well, it will take more maintenance. Racers do their preventative maintenance because they are highly motivated to win. In that they differ from the normal DS rider.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #1520
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Anyone know if I can swap a smr swingarm onto my 2003 exc? And what exactly would the difference be? Could I still run my dirt wheels?
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #1521
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser
Pics of bikes in dirt - man I want to go riding!
how 'bout mud?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #1522
macuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Sweet!! Yeah mud is good too, sand, rocks, swamps, water...all of it is good when you have a bike! Keep the pics coming buddy

Someone needs to take me out to do some single track if i can scratch up some gas $ lol
macuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #1523
lamoson
something catchier

Oddometer: 726
my 540.

really likes to do wheelies

loves the dirt

and the snow

and the water

and now she is getting a new cylinder and piston.

previous owner had "repaired" a crack in the water jacket with some jb weld. the fix failed and left me with a cracked cylinder. real nice. so yea fun stuff.

after this she is going up for sale and dare i say it.........two smoke time. sorry guys.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #1524
macuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Love these pics guys! What am I doing sitting around with 2 bikes in my garage???
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #1525
JRMosley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
07 525 EXC spring cleaning

Hey guys, wanted to ring in with a question: I currently have my bike torn apart doing some spring cleaning. Last season I was getting some popping on deceleration and I assumed the baffling was out on my silencer. I pulled it apart today and there is plenty of packing in it with just a bit of scorching on the engine end. I ride pretty aggressively, I came from a 2-stroke motocross background, so lots of hard acceleration and then chopping the throttle. Part of my problem I know is I need to adjust my riding style, but is it typical to get some popping on decel or am I running it too rich/too lean? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
JRMosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #1526
macuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMosley
Hey guys, wanted to ring in with a question: I currently have my bike torn apart doing some spring cleaning. Last season I was getting some popping on deceleration and I assumed the baffling was out on my silencer. I pulled it apart today and there is plenty of packing in it with just a bit of scorching on the engine end. I ride pretty aggressively, I came from a 2-stroke motocross background, so lots of hard acceleration and then chopping the throttle. Part of my problem I know is I need to adjust my riding style, but is it typical to get some popping on decel or am I running it too rich/too lean? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
I once put a full pro circuit pipe on my wr400 and rejetted it (richer presumably) and it popped like crazy on decel. I put it back to stock jetting (which was a little rich for the stock pipe) and the popping stopped. I think an air leak in the header pipe can also cause some popping on decel but i'm not 100% sure.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #1527
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
It's leaking at the head pipe i'd bet.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:22 AM   #1528
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
Anyone know if I can swap a smr swingarm onto my 2003 exc? And what exactly would the difference be? Could I still run my dirt wheels?
That would be an aweful lot of work. The SMR swingarm is the same as the 05-07 EXC ones. All 04+ swingarms have a 17mm pivot, yours is still 15mm. This means you would have to bore the engine cases, which would be have to be done outside the frame. Best with the cases split. Hardly worth it.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #1529
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMosley
Last season I was getting some popping on deceleration and I assumed the baffling was out on my silencer. Is it typical to get some popping on decel or am I running it too rich/too lean? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Here's a good write-up I found on popping on decel:

After spending the day on the dyno Saturday, my 450 popped and shot flames out 4 inches after 11,000 rpm runs. The O2 sensor indicated we were a tad rich on the pilot and needle. I attributed it to unburned gases in the exhaust igniting on decelleration and jetting wont help that. Most times a lean condition WILL be indicated by popping, but not always. TW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly correct! If you think about the mechanics of what is going on upon decel, it makes perfect sense:
You start out with an engine that is turning high RPM with a carb that is open, flowing freely. Next, you close that slide. This has the effect of creating a tremendous vaccuum in the intake manifold (CHOKE!). This vaccuum does curious things:
1. It pulls air and fuel from wherever it can--including the idle and low speed jetting in the carb.
2. To counteract the vaccuum, air will take the path of least resistance--including sucking exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber during valve overlap (the brief period of time that the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time.

So what does this mean? Well, now you have a disproportionate rich mixture heading for the cylinder AND what little oxygen is drawn in is further diluted by gases that are coming back into the chamber from the exhaust valve. The result is poor, incomplete combustion! Depending on the temperature of the exhaust pipe and gases, reignition is possible once this mixture is introduced into a more oxygen rich environment. This produces the "pop."

Why does a lean running engine have a tendency to excessively pop? The exhaust gas temperature of a lean engine is substantially higher than one that is running on the rich side ( an EGT probe will show this). Therefore, the high EGT serves to heat the pipe more and the gases themselves become a much better source of re-ignition. By richening things up, you are cooling down the exhaust temp and therefore reducing potential re-ignition sources.

Any 4 stroke engine--even those that are flawlessly tuned will pop on decel. It is harmless, but can be annoying--granted. However, I would never alter the jetting of an otherwise performing motorcycle to get rid of it.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #1530
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Curiously, when I first ran my 540 with the 39mm carb that was perfectly jetted for my stock 525, it was popping and shooting flames and the header was glowing red while idling. I had assumed that going with oversize valves and an 8/33 cam that I may be a bit too lean with that carb but to my surprise it was smelling very rich. On advice from Dave, who built my motor, I went from 175 main to a 172 and used a JD red needle from a JD blue. (I'm at 750 ft above sea level, I'm still wondering how a JD blue ended up in there , and more importantly, how the bike ran so well with it.)
Popping stopped and the header stopped glowing red at idle. Bike gets same mileage as before but has a nice power boost.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote