Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #1561
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
+1 on 15/xx for lots of road use.

I ran 14/52 as a 525 and now 14/50 as a 540. A stock 525 can't pull much more than about 8600 RPM in 6th with 14/52 and even as a 540 I doubt it can pull much more than 9000 RPM in 6th with the 14/50. This is with a big and tall T-Flex so maybe a smaller rear tire will let you pull more revs.

Sean
My stock motor 525 came with 14/50. It's a tad tall for hwy use, but being a dirt noob, I don't know what trouble I'm creating for myself. Mind you, I have a rekluse pro and I run in sand, soft sand and ridiculously soft sand. Should I go two up in the back to make the gearing even taller? I'm not trying to do any long slabbing with the bike, my 525 is my trail/woods/sand weapon of choice...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #1562
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0
Thanks Sean!

Whats the average acceptable cruising speed? 60/7-/80mph?

with my 14-50 - cruising is smooth at 50mph, 15-50 - 60mph - 15-45 65-75mph. Obviously the more you gear it up, you loose a lot of low end and you find yourself all over the clutch if things get even the slightest technical. with 15-45 ive pulled to just over 105mph, but the the 450 is sceaming 9700rpm! But when im down at 70mph shes purring along at about 6500rpm.

When you are riding in a group, there is always somebody with a faster bike and they always shoot out in front leaving us to play catchup. There no problem for me to get on the gas and persuit and play a bit, but running at 100mph for 50miles is not really what I had in mind.

I need to relax about the strain on the motor when im out on the gravel and figure out at what working range the motor is its happyest.

I can also imaging, the lower you go on the gearing, the more strain you put on the top gears. Man having 5 gears sucks (wr450f).
Well the stock 5521 cam that comes in these motors has a ton of power right off idle into the mid and starts to taper off past 7500 RPM. The motor is happy anywhere from 3500-6000 RPM in whatever gear. In 6th that could be anywhere from 60-80 MPH. I find that it really makes no difference as long as you get past the shake 'n bake RPMs.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #1563
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by never mind
My stock motor 525 came with 14/50. It's a tad tall for hwy use, but being a dirt noob, I don't know what trouble I'm creating for myself. Mind you, I have a rekluse pro and I run in sand, soft sand and ridiculously soft sand. Should I go two up in the back to make the gearing even taller? I'm not trying to do any long slabbing with the bike, my 525 is my trail/woods/sand weapon of choice...
I can run slab with 14/52 gearing and it's fine for me. Like you, my bike is just a plated dirtbike and it spends most of its time off-road so the lower gearing really makes it more flexible there. With an EXC, your 2nd gear is basically the same as an MXC 1st so you gain a really low gear and you don't lose out on anything. Mind you if you were a woods racer, the MXC gearbox would be a bit nicer. Also, with your Rekluse Pro, you can opt to run just about any gearing you feel most comfortable with and not worry about it being too tall. My buddy runs 15/48 on his 400 EXC with a Rekluse and that is seriously tall gearing but the autoclutch just does all the work. He just turns the throttle and hangs on.

Sean

Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #1564
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Also, with your Rekluse Pro, you can opt to run just about any gearing you feel most comfortable with and not worry about it being too tall. My buddy runs 15/48 on his 400 EXC with a Rekluse and that is seriously tall gearing but the autoclutch just does all the work. He just turns the throttle and hangs on.

Sean
I have to try this!!!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #1565
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoson
rebuilding the 540.
How many hours did you go on the first 540 top-end?

Sean

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #1566
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
I asked a few months ago about an ignition switch location and a few of you gave me some good direction on.....well I installed the Baja switch for the Baja kit on my 03.....I jumped the wires per instructions but the switch has no effect on starting. Bike will start whether key is on or off. I didn't install the DS kit so troubleshooting might be a bitch........now I'm thinking maybe I can jump the kill switch wires with the ignition switch to short it out when the key is off....anyone foresee any issues with that?? Just asking to make sure.....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #1567
lamoson
something catchier

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
How many hours did you go on the first 540 top-end?

Sean
hr meter says 125 or so, but this is from the previous owner jb welding a crack in the water jacket. that was a REALLY fun one to discover.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #1568
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
How many hours did you go on the first 540 top-end

I'm over 225 hours, still running very strong.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #1569
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
I'm over 225 hours, still running very strong.
Is yours a 540 also? Factory KTM kit or the TR kit?

Sean

Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #1570
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoson
hr meter says 125 or so, but this is from the previous owner jb welding a crack in the water jacket. that was a REALLY fun one to discover.
So basically a new 540 kit? KTM or TR?

I have the TR kit myself as I don't think the KTM kit at twice the price will go twice as long. Mine's just broken-in at about 25 hours.

Sean

Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #1571
lamoson
something catchier

Oddometer: 726
it is from travis. yea not a chance i was buying oem. that is just crazy talk.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #1572
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
[quote=lamoson]my 540.

really likes to do wheelies

loves the dirt
and the snow

and the water

Keep up the good work!

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #1573
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
kill/ignition switch

Should be fine. I've got a Sicass keyed kill switch and that's how it's wired.

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ
I asked a few months ago about an ignition switch location and a few of you gave me some good direction on.....well I installed the Baja switch for the Baja kit on my 03.....I jumped the wires per instructions but the switch has no effect on starting. Bike will start whether key is on or off. I didn't install the DS kit so troubleshooting might be a bitch........now I'm thinking maybe I can jump the kill switch wires with the ignition switch to short it out when the key is off....anyone foresee any issues with that?? Just asking to make sure.....
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #1574
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by never mind
I'm running the same sand you are if not worse. I actually have some small hills of it here so it dries out even more in places. Mini dunes with scrub oaks.

For sand use don't think so much about the final ratio in 1st or 6th. Consider the gap between gears instead. In loose sand you need to shift to second or better yet 3rd to even get moving good. So a low 1st gear is pointless any way but if you gear high the gaps between gears get cumbersome. You can find youself buzzing in 2nd but 3rd is faster than you want to go to keep the engine in the happy zone.

I'm running 14/49 right now to tighten up the gaps from 2nd to 3rd but mostly 3rd to 4th. At 15/49 4th gear does get hard to use except in full blown haul ass mode on most trails. I can only ride that way for a short period of time. The 15t counter shaft is better for wear and much quieter too. Next mail order i'll order a 52t to run 15/52.

Go to Gearing Commander and see the rpm vrs. mph chart. it'll let you put in any final drive ratios side by side. Our bikes info is saved under an '03 i think. Internal gear ratios are the same for all years.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #1575
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Gearing

Lilbit,

I agree with you on gearing. As I stated, my 525 (full Akrapovic system, lighter flywheel, HT Racing vane, stock lean jetting) will pull 15/50 everywhere but the 15/52 is really better for me off-road. The quickness of the motor coupled with the Akrapovic's HP characteristics allows me to be mellow on the trail in 2nd with 15/52 and just blast with a quick twist (no bog thanks to the HT Racing vane). The 15/50 works everywhere else and I can get by with it in tight stuff if I ride it like an MX bike.

How can you go wrong with a 525? Perhaps want more of that goodness? 540? 570? Well, how about a 225 lb. 350 XC-W?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote