Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #1576
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

How can you go wrong with a 525?
Buy one for your wife.

Yours stays in the garage while you stay home with the kids and she's out riding.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #1577
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I'm running the same sand you are if not worse. I actually have some small hills of it here so it dries out even more in places. Mini dunes with scrub oaks.

For sand use don't think so much about the final ratio in 1st or 6th. Consider the gap between gears instead. In loose sand you need to shift to second or better yet 3rd to even get moving good. So a low 1st gear is pointless any way but if you gear high the gaps between gears get cumbersome. You can find youself buzzing in 2nd but 3rd is faster than you want to go to keep the engine in the happy zone.

I'm running 14/49 right now to tighten up the gaps from 2nd to 3rd but mostly 3rd to 4th. At 15/49 4th gear does get hard to use except in full blown haul ass mode on most trails. I can only ride that way for a short period of time. The 15t counter shaft is better for wear and much quieter too. Next mail order i'll order a 52t to run 15/52.

Go to Gearing Commander and see the rpm vrs. mph chart. it'll let you put in any final drive ratios side by side. Our bikes info is saved under an '03 i think. Internal gear ratios are the same for all years.
I bet your sand IS more fun than mine!

Excellent information! Would you say your gearing is aimed more at expert level riders or a slow noob? Right now, I'm comfortable at a max of 30 mph in the sloppy stuff. That is also about as fast as I want to be going when I get slapped to the ground.

FWIW, I'm learning how to ride a motorbike all over again!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #1578
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Unusual Request

Hey guys..I'm doing a motard project with my XR650R and I need the dimensions of the 2008-2010 EXC shrouds before I buy a pair so I thought I'd go right to the source. If someone has the time to measure one up and post or e-mail me the results I'd certainly appreciate it. No dealers near by me and I don't want to blow the $'s if they won't work for my project.

Thanks much for any help you can offer ...Scott
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #1579
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Consider the gap between gears instead. In loose sand you need to shift to second or better yet 3rd to even get moving good. So a low 1st gear is pointless any way but if you gear high the gaps between gears get cumbersome. You can find youself buzzing in 2nd but 3rd is faster than you want to go to keep the engine in the happy zone.
Thus the clear and obvious superiority of the MXC over the EXC. Like, well, mine

The MXC was designed with a close ratio transmission that was supposed to keep the drop/rise in engine RPM at or less than 20%. That "happy zone" is where the MXC rocks.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #1580
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
Is yours a 540 also? Factory KTM kit or the TR kit?
Mine is factory. More cooling passages. Piston's not forged, though.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #1581
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
Thus the clear and obvious superiority of the MXC over the EXC. Like, well, mine

The MXC was designed with a close ratio transmission that was supposed to keep the drop/rise in engine RPM at or less than 20%. That "happy zone" is where the MXC rocks.
For racing, of any kind, the MXC transmission is the best choice. Even in wide open desert, where you would think the EXC would have longer legs, the MXC is better because you have two gears at the top that are closer together. This lets you maintain speed when you get into something like power-sucking sand. The only drawback is that it makes the motor turn more RPMs but if you're racing, you're not too worried about that.

That said, the bigger RFS motors really have no problems pulling the EXC gearbox's gaps and the bigger you go the better it is. The low first gear comes in handy in the tight stuff. I have ridden some tight rocky trails with my SX a few times (4-speed, same as MXC 1-4) and if you don't keep your speed up it can be a real handful working the clutch. A Rekluse would probably make it a non-issue though.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #1582
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by never mind
I bet your sand IS more fun than mine!

Excellent information! Would you say your gearing is aimed more at expert level riders or a slow noob? Right now, I'm comfortable at a max of 30 mph in the sloppy stuff. That is also about as fast as I want to be going when I get slapped to the ground.

FWIW, I'm learning how to ride a motorbike all over again!
Expert. Nah. Just preference.

It'll pull 5th in straight sections in sand but not 6th. maybe 55+ish but with a good bit of wheel spin. I do glance down but can't see most of the time as the bike will be moving around alot. Just a few good areas to do that safely for more than a few seconds.

If you're not finding youself between gears now then just stay with what you have. I had the MXC box and the 2-6 gaps were much better when riding in "race" mode. 1-2 was always too close for me.

You will go faster if you always try to up shift. You'll force yourself to go quicker trying to keep the engine in it's happy zone. Going too slow in our sand is a killer. When i ride with my son on his quad it's a never ending slip and slide at his speed. I find looking way ahead and through corners so much harder offroad than on street bikes. Gives the same results though.
Always reminding myself to do so when trying to ride quickly.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #1583
mt21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hi, what have to be done to the electric system to run
3X Hid (TT X2+helmetlight Hid).
most aftermarket stators have an output off 100W, is that good enough??
mt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #1584
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt21
Hi, what have to be done to the electric system to run
3X Hid (TT X2+helmetlight Hid).
most aftermarket stators have an output off 100W, is that good enough??

Just add up the load, allow some for charging the battery, and compare to the stator output. I use the TrailTech 120 watt with my 3-light Extreme Trail Light.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #1585
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
Just add up the load, allow some for charging the battery, and compare to the stator output. I use the TrailTech 120 watt with my 3-light Extreme Trail Light.
I have the same system, but with a 65w halogen (for now) and heated grips/GPS/cooling fan running at times.

Works great. Try Cyclops for your TrailTech stuff. He gives inmates a bit of a break. Tell em I sent ya. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #1586
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,469
Today I threw away the god-awful ugly giant turns signals from my Baja Designs DS kit. Good riddance.

And replaced them with these!:

Highway Dirtbikes led turn signals.

bad pic but you get the idea...

I guess I thought the flush mount rear HDB signals were plastic, but like everything HDB they are overbuilt- billet aluminum. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any more anytime soon.

Really cleaned up the bike.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #1587
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Today I threw away the god-awful ugly giant turns signals from my Baja Designs DS kit. Good riddance.

And replaced them with these!:
I thought you didn't need signals in CO? Of course they look like a close approximation to none (kidding). More seriously I doubt these would fly in quite a few states. Nice billet construction indeed!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #1588
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
I thought you didn't need signals in CO? Of course they look like a close approximation to none (kidding). More seriously I doubt these would fly in quite a few states. Nice billet construction indeed!

They aren't required, but I do like to have them, and these are as out of the way as you can get. Plus, when you turn them on, they are quite bright.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #1589
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
They aren't required, but I do like to have them, and these are as out of the way as you can get. Plus, when you turn them on, they are quite bright.
I might need to try out the rear ones ... I have the K&S LED Flushmounts and they are comical, totally invisible during daylight.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #1590
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
I might need to try out the rear ones ... I have the K&S LED Flushmounts and they are comical, totally invisible during daylight.

I tried those too... couldn't see them at all. These are far better.