Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #166
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
Wink

Ok, i´ll forget about CVS...........

Seriously, .........

I see your 525 would not waste any more liquid now, what is one of the issues claimed for those hesitating about 525 reliability and EXC series in general .......

please let us know about other solutions you design for our enjoyable 525.

thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 AM   #167
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
Hey Flux, that muffler guard on your bike, did you make that yourself or buy it somewhere?

I made the muffler gard and have still have parts to make more. If you want a set send me a PM.

They hold my Wolfman bags off the muffler.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #168
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
... what is one of the issues claimed for those hesitating about 525 reliability and EXC series in general ......

please let us know about other solutions you design for our enjoyable 525.

thanks
The 525 is about as reliable as you can get (see the posts on the 525 in the most recent Dakar). The 625 SXC with the same basic configuration (1.5 liters of oil, no rear cush hub, etc.) also seems to run forever but no one claims it is unreliable. I think KTM started this rumor when they said, some years ago, that the RFS was not intended for road use. They made the same claim about the 625 SXC but apparently no one bothered to claim that it was, ipso facto, unreliable. Go figure.

I am hoping the nearly indestructible Nalgene bottle will hold up longer than, well, plain PVC Advil bottles.

I am working on a rear luggage rack by modifying the black LC4 rack.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #169
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
Laugh rear rack

I´ve got the promobillet rear rack and i am fully satisfacted with it. It is light, creates a real subframe and holds well TT enduro rack bag (5-8lts) full of tools or a 5lts Gas can. for me is the best accessory i ´ve ever put on a thumper i had.

Promobillet even sells guards to prevent side bags off the muffler.....And they sell an accessory for carrying a chainsaw...... .

A CHAINSAW.................i am seriously considering to buy this gadget to carry a chainsaw on my next trip, wouldn´t be any woods to pass through ...........but uh.........i´ll need a Hockey mask too.

alfaris screwed with this post 03-22-2007 at 08:29 AM
alfaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #170
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Chain Saw

Chain saw? Hockey mask? Robbing banks now, are we? Well I must say if you want a great getaway vehicle the 525 is the best. (Just put KLR 650 stickers on the tank....)

I think the ProMotoBillet rack is really great. I had on on my 625 SXC. The only problem that I had with it was me--I was constantly hitting the rack swinging my foot over the bike. The LC4 rack is lower, smaller (tapered to the rear) and just as durable. Anyway, I am going to see how it works out. I am also going to modify the mounting tab I make so I can mount Dirt Bagz as well. I have had great luck with those.

Stu
Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #171
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
If you look at how often KTM says to tear a 525 down for inspection, you gotta wonder how long they would go before something happens, several friends of mine have taken theirs apart at about 6,000 miles for a look see and it was expensive for both of them, and they have taken very good care of the bikes, full synthetic oil just like KTM says. they were still running OK but they had valve problems starting and one was ready for full top end replacement. They are meant to be race bikes after all. Id go with a 640, much better for travel.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #172
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Reliability

I have seen 450s with 1,200 miles and needing valves. They were raced pretty hard and needed it. There are others with over 10,000 trail miles and needing nothing (compression OK). My dealer took a 640 in on trade with 575 miles on it that was trash and needed a lot of work. So is my data set more accurate than yours? The 625 SXC has about the same oil capacity as the RFS. It also lacks the cush hub. Why don't people complain about the reliability of this bike as well as the RFS?

If you ride either the RFS or LC4 within reason and do your maintenance to either one you should have a great ride for a long time before teardown.

I remember the Brit 4-stroke singles. They were really unpredictable. Electrics would quit. Valves would drop. Oil pumps would break. Just about everything gave out in short order but we kept them going and had great rides with them. They were far, far less reliable than either the RFS or LC4. Just get the bike that you think will be the best for you and RIDE!

Stu
Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #173
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I know it's not the 525 but Jimmy Lewis had (or still has) a 400EXC that had 27K on the original motor! I personally saw how they rode that thing and they weren't easy on it.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #174
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Head Light Protection

Here is another inexpensive update you can do in less than an hour. Plexiglass over the glass headlight. Parts:
Ace Hardware:
4 4.5"x6.5" pieces of plexiglass -- $2.00
1 mini bungee cord set (4", 6", 8") -- $7.58
1 vinyl bumpers, glue on backs -- $2.79
I have enough plexi to replace trashed plexi for a while. I wanted a setup that would stay in place and be removable for cleaning.

I carefully drilled 1/4" holes in the plexi for the bungees and wire. I smoothed off the edges and corners with a file. I removed the protective cover at the last when I pressed on the bumpers.

I located the vinyl sticky bumpers at the bottom to help keep it from moving around. The sticky bumpers at the top help hold it away from the shell. I used the 2 4" mini bungees to hold the vinyl and one 6" mini bungee going thru the headlight shell from side to side to keep it in position at the top. I wired the bottom of the vinyl thru the hole in the KTM shell at the bottom. (KTM should have put a headlight adjuster screw and spring in here as they did on earlier models.) So far it is staying in place and has not broken.

Stu
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #175
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Rear Fender Modification

While I was at it I shortened the rear fender. I kept the bottom part to use as a cross brace and to mount the KTM stock reflector on the bottom. This should keep this fender from being caught by the 140/18 tire and torn up. It took very little in the way of parts:
Ace Hardware again:
2 nylon lock nuts @ $0.55 ea.
2 stainless steel cap screws @ $0.45 ea.
4 4mm washers @ $0.14 ea.
I used a coping saw and hack saw to shorten the fender and then to modify the cut off piece. I cut out the inside of the removed piece to get it to sort of fit in the remaining piece of fender. I located the center mounting hole up under the license plate so I could drill thru giving support to the license plate and mount the reflector.

Stu
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #176
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,816
I sent you a pm, looks like a great solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Pat
I made the muffler gard and have still have parts to make more. If you want a set send me a PM.

They hold my Wolfman bags off the muffler.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #177
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Ok...

Right, just catching up after getting back from the trip that we all know I shoulda taken the KTM on *ahem*.

I've had a chance to ride around, deal with some problems I hadn't considered before, so as I've mentioned before - planning a RTW trip on my 525, but...

How would the RFS handle low grade fuel? say 85 octane? does anybody have any practical experience of this?

How much oil is it REALLY going to need, and how often? I can foresee it could be quite lengthy stretches between finding anywhere with a supply of oil.

I don't want most of my luggage to be taken up with octane booster and oil!
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #178
Colorado4Wheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
About a month ago I walked into a KTM dealer.

Me - Got any Dual Sports?
Saleman - All of these are dual sports. (pointing towards a bunch of bikes)
Me - Great, I have just started looking for a bike to ride from here to the mountains and then play around on some 4wd trails. Something in the 500cc or so range.
Salesman - Oh, None of my dualsports meant for that. They are basically racing machines with a plate. Not meant for any extended touring. I think you should look for something else.

BTW, this shop sells KTM and only KTM bikes. They had nothing else to show me and lost any chance of a sale.
Colorado4Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #179
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Riding Around on a 525

Colorado4wheeler,

He didn't lose a sale, you lost sight of the fact that sales people say stupid, ignorant things and that to get what you want you have to bird dog everyone. You know what you want and what KTM offers. The 525 would be a great bike for that sort of stuff and it would tempt you to explore all sorts of trails. I plan on doing exactly the same kind of riding with my '07 525 EXC. Just buy your bike from someone that knows what the bike is and is willing to support your riding needs. Many 450 SM riders on this site and others have said they have thousands of miles on their engines on the street. Many DS riders have said the same. The racers have reliable machines but racing means more maintenance, as you know.

If you want a turn-key solution they just don't exist. A 400 Suzuki is probably closest. The KTM will need some protective stuff (brush guards, skid plate, clutch guard, radiator guards at the least) and may need some performance stuff (JD jetting kit minimum). Look at the KTMTalk web site for more details on jetting, valve setting, oil changes, etc. If you are going to do a lot of road miles put a cushioned rear hub on it. I bought one for my 525. The 2002~2005 LC4 rear wheel & hub assembly fits nicely (I started a thread on this on KTMTalk.)

When you get one let me know so I can drive out and join you!

Stu
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #180
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Octane Boosters

Leesbian,

Welcome back from the Polish Beemer breakdown! Did you get pix to post?

I have thought a lot about the 85 octane, long distance stuff. My thoughts: guys ride in Mexico with crap gas purchased there without difficulty that I have heard about. A thicker base gasket would probably take care of that problem. Octane boosters have carcinogens in them. No thanks. Any dez racers with low octane experience with the 525 out there?

Oil: the hot setup would be to put an HT oil cooler on it. This would get you about 2 quarts of oil to thrash. I would not be afraid of running 1,000 miles before service with this much oil capacity. The HT has a one-way drain back valve so startups will not starve the top end of oil It also has a drain plug. You can remove the top line to fill it up. This eases servicing. Also, run the Scotts wire mesh filters. They work better than paper and you don't need to change them out--just clean them. A spray cleaner, a cleaning tank when available, fresh oil poured thru, or just carefully removing what fragments you see if none of the above are available and pop them back in. I found that particles on the other screens are rare so I don't pull them every oil change.

Stu