Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #241
Gumbydave
motorcycle doofus

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Let's see some more pics of that headlight setup.
why soitenly ........

here it is almost finished, needs electrical box and carbon Fiber skin.
there are two gen 5 osrams packed in there. Both come on high, one for low.......

06 KTM 250 XCW
TrailTricks Suspension

Gumbydave screwed with this post 08-03-2007 at 09:34 PM
Gumbydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #242
moragabiker
Scott

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by moragabiker
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your excellent advice on how to set up my '07 525 EXC -- I recently returned home from a 3 week, 3400 mile dual sport vacation through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California. We posted the story and lots of photos in the ride reports forum at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240023.

I typically ride my KLR 650 on long rides. This is the first time that I used the KTM on an extended ride. It performed flawlessly. However, it does chew up tires quickly (I went through 3 rear tires on this trip). And, it took a few tries to find a comfortable seat (don't use the stock seat or a Corbin seat on a long-distance ride unless you are wearing padded bicycle shorts and abundant amounts of an anti-friction product called "Bodyglide").

Key modifications for this trip included:
  • Enduro Engineering tall seat with soft foam (I started with a Corbin seat, but replaced it with a more comfortable EE during the trip)
  • Rear "cush" wheel (built by Woody's Wheel Works)
  • Acerbis gas tank (6.6 gallon)
  • Scott's Steering Stabilizer
  • Continental TKC80 tires (I prefer size 140/80-18 for the rear)
I scheduled service appointments along the way to have my valves adjusted, oil changed, tires changed, etc. By the way -- the guys at KTM of Grand Junction Colorado provided extremely prompt, high-quality and friendly service. Thanks Guys!

After "living" in the saddle of this bike for 3 weeks in a row, I can say that it is an incredibly versatile and fun bike! It will crawl through tough single-track sections at 15 mph, and it will gobble up two-track dirt roads at 80+ mph. And, it will go places that are "off limits" to my KLR.

Thanks again for all of your helpful set-up advice!
Here's an update on how my 07 525 EXC is doing as an adventure tour bike -- We just completed another 2500 mile trip with the bike (photos are posted here http://eastbaydirtbag.smugmug.com/ga...5875#195625107 )

The bike now has about 7000 miles on it. It is still the best adventure bike I've ever owned (especially in terms of fun and performance). Other than routine mainenance, I've experienced only two minor mechanical issues: (a) the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced at 5000 miles, and (b) the water pump seal began leaking at about 6000 miles. Otherwise, the bike has performed flawlessly!

Cheers,

Scott
moragabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #243
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 897
Thread Resurrection

I want to see if anyone has more long-term results using the RFS as a long distance DS so I'm bringing the thread back to life.

One very nice thing about the 525: if it starts to run ragged and gets hard to start you know the valves need adjusting (and possibly the plug). You can be in the middle of zilchistan and still adjust the RFS valves. Run the adjusting nut down until it just touches the valve stem (after finding TDC). Then just back it off 90 degrees and lock it down. It will be very, very close to .005" and you are good to go. You can't do that with shims unless you carry a pocket full of various sizes with you.

The 525 Rawks!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #244
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
I didn't know that. Pretty cool.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #245
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
I want to see if anyone has more long-term results using the RFS as a long distance DS so I'm bringing the thread back to life.

One very nice thing about the 525: if it starts to run ragged and gets hard to start you know the valves need adjusting (and possibly the plug). You can be in the middle of zilchistan and still adjust the RFS valves. Run the adjusting nut down until it just touches the valve stem (after finding TDC). Then just back it off 90 degrees and lock it down. It will be very, very close to .005" and you are good to go. You can't do that with shims unless you carry a pocket full of various sizes with you.

The 525 Rawks!

Stu
I believe it would be 60 degrees which is one point of the hex nut that holds the adjuster. It is .005" or .125mm gap due to the thread being .75 mm for one turn, so .75mm devided by 6 or (60 degrees) is .125mm.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #246
Broo C em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Puke Is anybuddy there . .. .

.. . such a great thread BUT now so quiet, apart from Moragabikers input some months ago, howsabout some ongoing user-reports from you guys out there racking up the iron-butt miles on ya 525's please.
I just bought-in a tidy '05 & am keen to start modding it & some field-reports WOULD be great, especially if they're relevant to a couple of the significant questions from the thread that are still up-for-grabs, like whether or not ya REALLY need to fit a cush-drive rear wheel, or an HT oil cooler.
An item that didnt get a heap of attention was whether or not to throw bucks at a steering damper for doolsport useage .. . ?
Another is whether or not to fit some aftermarket speedo unit (with 14 exotic/bonus functions) or to just add a HardParts remote switch so as to be able to set elapsed distances on the fly (my new baby seems to need about 6 fingers on the speedo buttons to change/reset the modes etc).
CIAO fer now
BrooC in NZ
"Angle Parked in a Parallel Uvinurse"
Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #247
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
Wow, good questions

Broo C em

I have owned an 06 since new, now has about 7000kms or so, here's my observations so far. I modded everything, check my sig for link to thread where I covered it all. If the link isnt there when I'm done I'll edit this post and add the link.
  • Cush Drive - I don't run one, but I run knobbies and most of the time I'm in the dirt. No ransmission probs so far. No intention of fitting the cush drive.
  • HT Oil Cooler - I have one, no problems with engine or ignition, my buddy who doesn't use one has no problems at same mileage. Don't think it's necessary, but gives you the warm fuzzies knowing you have more oil down there.
  • Steering Damper - hmmm I have the GPR V2 with the integrated bar risers (you know the blingin orange one), its great but not necessary for dualsport in particular. It's great for offroading in general! If you like riding the streambeds and baby-heads - get one!
  • Trip computer - just buy the tripmaster switch for it. Found it very handy for TSD Rallies.
Good luck!

Edit: here's the linky to my 525 "Adventure" build thread

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #248
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
+1 on the damper, at least in the technical riding (like above with the rocks and/or nasty roots). Also if you're riding in loose sand it can be helpful as well (as is leaning back & staying on the gas). Its not a cure all if you haven't adjusted / tuned your suspension correctly, but for the conditions above it does make a difference.
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #249
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para504
+1 on the damper, at least in the technical riding (like above with the rocks and/or nasty roots). Also if you're riding in loose sand it can be helpful as well (as is leaning back & staying on the gas). Its not a cure all if you haven't adjusted / tuned your suspension correctly, but for the conditions above it does make a difference.
Agree! One other place where it comes in handy is on tarmac in high cross winds. My 525 was really, really nervous at 70 MPH in these conditions, dangerously so, and the Motosportz damper calmed it right down. It also improved it in rocks. Worth it.

Cush hub -- pretty expensive but if you put a lot of miles on hard surface I think it would be worth while. However, the SM boys run thousands of miles without them and are only on hard surface. I have one. I have changed out all the trashed needle bearings in transmissions (mainly on Maicos) I wish to.

HT Oil Cooler -- if you run in a lot of heat or pull deep sand washes you will get your oil to the point of failure. The HT will prevent this. If you wish to run lighter oil (I run Rotella T synthetic 5W-40) you can do so with the cooler but are probably advised to run heavier oil without the cooler. The Rotella T helps me a lot in the colder weather I'm running now as well. If you want to run more miles between changes the HT will aid that. I have just short of 2 quarts now.

Back on about page 10 or 12 I had a post on mounting Dirt Bagz to the sub frame. My mounts are still intact. I still only carry lighter stuff in the bagz. (I hope to get a T6 alloy sub frame made for it -- unchromed solid bar stock -- that will have tabs for mounting at the rear. More on that as it develops.)

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #250
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
36,000 miles of all street on a 04 450 MXC motard conversion, valves adjusted twice, still runs like new. Just needed a CS seal/o ring and sprocket bolt, bulletproof otherwise. I'll check back when it crosses 40k,,,
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #251
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0gWateR
Edit: here's the linky to my 525 "Adventure" build thread
I read through the thread on KTMTalk where you said the Laminar Lip stick-on windshield specified for the Duke II worked well for you on the 525 EXC. I was wonderin' if you had a picture showing it installed. I was also curious how you use it; leave it on all the time, stick it on for longer road days oly, or what. Since it has been over a year since you discussed it in that thread, do you have further thoughts??

Thanks
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #252
zer0t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Glad this post got bumped to the top. I am going to use my 530 as a light Adv bike more than a pure dirt bike. By the way a light adventure bike is really DS for me. A Sunday ride from North west NJ to Harriman NY on mostly back roads and at most 50 miles on a highway if I am in a hurry to get home. ;-)

I need to go through all these posts now.

Thanks,
-z

zer0t screwed with this post 12-05-2007 at 06:52 PM
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #253
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
I read through the thread on KTMTalk where you said the Laminar Lip stick-on windshield specified for the Duke II worked well for you on the 525 EXC. I was wonderin' if you had a picture showing it installed. I was also curious how you use it; leave it on all the time, stick it on for longer road days oly, or what. Since it has been over a year since you discussed it in that thread, do you have further thoughts??

Thanks
It seems every pic I have of the laminar lip, it's covered by my Wolfman carryall. Here's one from a Creel trip in 2006.

It worked well enough, but with the wolfman bag covering it any "laminar" effect was gone. I smashed it to bits 2 days after this photo in a hard "unscheduled dismount".

When it was mounted, it was very similar in height to a stock 640 adventure mask. I just through bolted it to the mask, the hook n loop that comes with it didn't work very well.

I won't buy another one, because the windbreak gained is so little when used with the Wolfman Enduro Carryall. And I LOVE the Wolfman bag!! It rocks!!

I'm waiting on brown santa (UPS) to bring me my next round of upgrades/changes/maintenance items.
  • Electrex 270W stator c/w Reg/Rect/Harness
  • Heated Grips
  • Baja Designs Diablo HID Headlight
I already wired the bike for GPS and Electric vest, but adding the
  • heated grips
  • helmet cam
  • camcorder
  • satellite phone charger
  • blender (hey, I'm goin to Margaritaville)
  • bean grinder & coffemaker...
OK, so the last two were a joke. But the stock stator puts out maybe 85W. I need to mod the stator to switch over to full DC for the HID headlight anyway, so I'm going with the Electrex ESG145 kit comes with everything ~$250

I've also upgraded the battery to a Yuasa YZ7TS or whatever (search KTMTalk for battery upgrade).

Waiting anxiously for this bad boy to show up.

Cambodia 2013 Blog
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #254
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Gumby Dave's post

I wanted to see Gumby Dave's pics he had posted but it looks like KTM Talk changed the IP of their pic server. I updated his post and here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyDave
here's what I came up with :

tested on a 4 week riding trip, trailered in a toyhauler, started at the KTM Adventure rally at Mammoth CA riding 80 miles soft powder right behind Chris Blais , the bike cut arrow straght through the wobbly lines, rode 130 mile Canyonlands loop in Utah in 100+ deg and ended up at Taylor Park CO,rode most every trail in the TP area from Aspen to Pitkin ( even timberline, star) rode it approx 750 miles off road in July

576 big bore/stroker kit

hybrid trans; EXC 1-2/mxc 3456 to pull 14/42 FD

HT oil cooler

SX end cap on exc muff

trailtrick suspension set-up with 11 rear and 46 front springs, subtanks

scotts UBM and 18 mm billet clamps

6.6 Acerbis tank; built a CF guard for the petcock and aluminum braces

EE soft tall seat

ICO dual sport speedodo in billet case

built a dual, 2 high-low beam HID headlights using gen5 Osram parts, aluminum frame/CF cowl/lexan lens cover

rewound stator myself for 100 watts DC using 16 GA magnet wire

built a 4Luxeon star LED tail/brake light

LED turn signals, rears cased in CF

PMB rack

PMB sidestand

SM front fender for better high speed aeros

very loud BMW/Bosch horn

folding handguard mounted billet aluminum bar end mirror that stays put on-road and has a useable rear view, tucks inside handguard

it worked flawless all those miles only electrical issue was a loose brake lite wire that come unplugged.

It also performed excellent on extreme single track, excellent dirt road handling at high speed

IMO this is the best config for high speed road that is also extreme off road capable and fun to ride on single track

Cambodia 2013 Blog
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #255
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

More of Gumbydave's headlight

Here's more of GumbyDave's headlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbydave
why soitenly ........

here it is almost finished, needs electrical box and carbon Fiber skin.

there are two gen 5 osrams packed in there. Both come on high, one for low.......

Nice! I'll take it!

Cambodia 2013 Blog