Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #3091
ktmarke
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks guys for the clarification. That gives me heaps of info to start fiddling around.

Cheers,
Mark
ktmarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #3092
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Anybody got a suggestion for some cheap ATV tank panniers that will fit this bike? I'm just looking for something cheap to hold a couple extra MSR fuel bottles occasionally.

Thanks!
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #3093
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Are you thinking of mounting atv tank panniers on the back of the bike, behind the seat? I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea if you can find some cheap. I'd be interested to know what you find. I saw some for a bicycle the other day, but they were too narrow.

In the meantime, working on a quick-release rack for my GL saddlebags.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3094
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Are you thinking of mounting atv tank panniers on the back of the bike, behind the seat? I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea if you can find some cheap. I'd be interested to know what you find. I saw some for a bicycle the other day, but they were too narrow.

In the meantime, working on a quick-release rack for my GL saddlebags.
I think the klr guys just mount the panniers on their tank. Maybe I should look into a milk create too! :)
I'm thinking rok straps to mount my new GL bag. They are quick release buckles.
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #3095
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
I think the klr guys just mount the panniers on their tank. Maybe I should look into a milk create too! :)
I'm thinking rok straps to mount my new GL bag. They are quick release buckles.
I've seen these used. But although they look cheap, they are not what I would consider cheap.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #3096
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Wolfman tank panniers.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/tank_panniers.html
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #3097
biggurn
Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer: 97
So... just got the first service done on the 520... valves where a little tight, but not too bad. Fixed the leak behind the output shaft. It has BLUE coolant, is this engine ice or does someone else make blue coolant? At 30.00 a bottle for Engine Ice I think it is going to get drained and replaced!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #3098
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
Overheating RFS Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggurn View Post
So... just got the first service done on the 520... valves where a little tight, but not too bad. Fixed the leak behind the output shaft. It has BLUE coolant, is this engine ice or does someone else make blue coolant? At 30.00 a bottle for Engine Ice I think it is going to get drained and replaced!
I just bumped my 525 EXC up to 565 cc so heat was an issue. I installed a 42mm Keihin carb in place of the 39mm stocker and I re-jetted it for a richer mix. That not only made the bike perform far, far better with no decel popping and no lean spots anywhere but it now runs cool enough that the fan no longer comes on, even when idling in traffic. So I too dumped the high dollar coolant and just run distilled water and Prestone at a 45/55 mix. It is not a problem finding Prestone but it is impossible to find the expensive stuff apart from a few motorcycle dealers.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #3099
biggurn
Yes, it is BIG.

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I just bumped my 525 EXC up to 565 cc so heat was an issue. I installed a 42mm Keihin carb in place of the 39mm stocker and I re-jetted it for a richer mix. That not only made the bike perform far, far better with no decel popping and no lean spots anywhere but it now runs cool enough that the fan no longer comes on, even when idling in traffic. So I too dumped the high dollar coolant and just run distilled water and Prestone at a 45/55 mix. It is not a problem finding Prestone but it is impossible to find the expensive stuff apart from a few motorcycle dealers.

Stu
Yeah, I broke down and bought a bottle of the expensive stuff, previous owner told me he had problems with heat at low speed until he changed over soo.....
Old 06-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #3100
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
Anybody got a suggestion for some cheap ATV tank panniers that will fit this bike? I'm just looking for something cheap to hold a couple extra MSR fuel bottles occasionally.

Thanks!
Wolfman has the E-10 saddle bags that work great on the bike. Will hold a pair of my size 13 shoes and then some if needed. Will hold two fuel bottles in one side. Way more secure than the ATV bags. I bought some Kolpin's from Academy for $15 but they suck.

Wolfman fuel bottle carriers are nice too.
VV click below. DSA has ya covered.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #3101
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Thanks for the info on the lights. I think I'm gonna go trailtech. Not astronomical pricing, looks good, simple install.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #3102
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Walmart and Tractor Supply both carry cheap ATv saddlebags.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #3103
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Thanks for the info on the lights. I think I'm gonna go trailtech. Not astronomical pricing, looks good, simple install.
You thinking of going halogen or HID? I must say, if you are planning of doing any amount of serious night riding, the HID is really nice. I've talked with guys that got the TrailTech halogen that were not impressed. No personal experience tho.

Are you planning on a stator rewind/upgrade?
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #3104
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarthy_Red_Beard View Post
You thinking of going halogen or HID? I must say, if you are planning of doing any amount of serious night riding, the HID is really nice. I've talked with guys that got the TrailTech halogen that were not impressed. No personal experience tho.

Are you planning on a stator rewind/upgrade?
I have the HID, and it's great. But I was messing with a friends Halogen H2 a few nights ago, and I was impressed. Was by far the best Halogen dirt bike light I have used, a lot better then the BD stuff.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #3105
jrpmccoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
525 for distance?

I had a 525 and loved the power for the short burst off road experience. It would do 104 mph with 2 tooth increase on the back sprocket but was really pushing it. I would say that 70 mph was comfortable for it and would seek to increase the oil capacity. I am not so sure I would try to push it at road speed across country though I think the stainless valved EXC can do ok. Funny story about my wife getting diesel in my premium can. I topped the tank three times on rather short rides with the diesel. I figure I had a 3/4 mix by time I figured out why it was starting hard and popping alot. Checked all the valves and compression with absolutely no issues...... keep the oil cool and you should be all set.
jrpmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote