Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #4546
240nekkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave View Post
I'm on the fence and wanted to see what y'all thought.

I'm considering selling my 05 450exc (ca plated) for a 2012 500exc.

I have about 160hrs on my RFS and after riding the new KTMs, I've come to appreciate all the advances in the chassis/suspension. Plus I wouldn't mind "going legit" with a legal dual sport.

I really appreciate the reliability of the RFS and my main concern is if the new engine and FI is as reliable as the 'ol truck RFS.

I'm 80% woods and 20% 1-3 day dual sport rides.

Does anyone have a sense for the new motors and their reliability?

Thanks!
Sasha
I can't speak for the previous incarnations of this bike, but I'm loving my 500 exc!
240nekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #4547
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
RFS of EFI

Quote:

I have about 160hrs on my RFS and after riding the new KTMs, I've come to appreciate all the advances in the chassis/suspension. Plus I wouldn't mind "going legit" with a legal dual sport.

I really appreciate the reliability of the RFS and my main concern is if the new engine and FI is as reliable as the 'ol truck RFS.

Thanks!
Sasha
Well, I really think you have answered your own question here. But I will through my 2 cents at it.

You've been riding a while and the new bikes are 80% better handling which is 80% of your riding. Personally my RFS is heavy for woods compared to the new machines and as my buddy's have upgraded keeping pace with their speed has become tougher and more work to be in the mix on fast days. it has bit me and bucked me costing me medical bills (up to 5000.00 a year some times) and as I get older and my skills and strength diminish from my youth I have to factor that in to preventive costs. Haha, you must remember this for your explanation to your wife on why your driving a 3000.00 truck and a 10,000 dirt bike.

EFI mean's no jetting. If you travel to altitude this is a bonus. The downside for you in my opinion is Baja or Mexico. I have had bad gas down there and with carbs its a six pack with EFI it can be a heart attack.

The valve adjustment intervals seem to be less frequent.

Your going to need a top end in not too long with those hours?

I loved my RFS, it was amazing the 2008-11 bikes were not amazing. The 12/13 bikes are amazing.

Your RFS is the best proven platform from KTM ever imo. The new bikes are trending to have that kind of reliability but only time will tell. You are not the early adopter here. I was in you camp and face it your bike is amazing. Do you need the new? Are you able to keep up with your buddy's? Are you working on your bike all the time? Does it feel like a bull in a china shop in the woods compared to the new rigs you have ridden?

Sell the beast or turn it into a dedicated DS rig. You have at least $3000.00 sitting there that could be the adventure bike for someone with that as their top budget. IMO if you can afford to keep it for things like baja and DS than keep it. If you cant justify another rig in the shop flick it and start the new thread on here with 350/500 exc as an adventure bike.

I road them both and the 80% for me is the 350 but I am more of a woods guy and 20% DS like you. If I was the other way around i would get the 500 simply because its a better DS bike.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #4548
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by skianreid View Post
Well, I really think you have answered your own question here. But I will through my 2 cents at it.
Awesome, thanks for all the info! These decisions are never black and white.
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #4549
bjmiz
the original miz

Oddometer: 17
Hi I have a 2006 525 exc with about 210hrs and 6500 mi. The mechanic told me I should start thinking about a top end rebuild. Does this sound about right? The bike runs awesome and starts easy. Thanks in advance
bjmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #4550
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,823
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiz View Post
Hi I have a 2006 525 exc with about 210hrs and 6500 mi. The mechanic told me I should start thinking about a top end rebuild. Does this sound about right? The bike runs awesome and starts easy. Thanks in advance
I would tend to agree with your mechanic, it is getting close to the valves (intake) to be replaced.

Start saving your pennies, I mean dollars.

Good luck, I have the parts for mine waiting to go and it has 340 hrs. 7900 mi. (will be checking valves before next ride)

Looks like your a faster rider what and where do you ride most? I ride 90% dirt, 9% tarmac, 1% naps. ha ha.

What has your maintenance been like do you change fillers (air most importantly) often? Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #4551
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
I would tend to agree with your mechanic, it is getting close to the valves (intake) to be replaced.
A better test is the #turns remaining on the adjustment screws.

I 'm at 210 hours on the stock valves and I have 2 3/4 turns of adjustment remaining on the left intake and almost 3 turns on the right intake adjuster. Usually you replace when you're under 1.5 turns of adjustment remaining.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #4552
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

I 'm at 210 hours on the stock valves and I have 2 3/4 turns of adjustment remaining on the left intake and almost 3 turns on the right intake adjuster. Usually you replace when you're under 1.5 turns of adjustment remaining.
Adjustment screws are indeed a good tell all, mine were close to what yours were when I had that milage. But with an extra 100 hrs. (320 mi.total) mine had only 1 3/4 left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #4553
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
Adjustment screws are indeed a good tell all, mine were close to what yours were when I had that milage. But with an extra 100 hrs. (320 mi.total) mine had only 1 3/4 left.
Interesting. I wouldn't actually mind mine running out as I'd like to get stainless and stop having to adjust as often. On the other hand, I've spent a ton of cash lately so if I can eek out another year that wouldn't be bad either.

Thanks for the info.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #4554
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 9,823
Anyone ever change out a countershaft? How much trouble is it, and are there any special tools needed?

Also, if I'm going to change the intake valves, should I send the head off to have the valve seats recut?
If so, could anyone recommend someone...

I've done plenty of top ends on 2 smokers, but I've never had to do any work on a 4 stroke.

The bike is an 07 525. It still has plenty of power. PLENTY.
I just figured, if I have to split the case, I might as well do the top end and replace the valves.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #4555
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
You have to split the cases to get to the countershaft. I would recommend Dave Hopkins for the head. DJH on KTMtalk. I believe he has the better snap rings for the trans since you'd have it open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dave186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #4556
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Djh +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
You have to split the cases to get to the countershaft. I would recommend Dave Hopkins for the head. DJH on KTMtalk. I believe he has the better snap rings for the trans since you'd have it open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on Hopkins. The work he did for me was top notch.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #4557
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmiz View Post
Yes.

Send the head to Dave Hopkins and have him do his thing. You'll never have to do it again. He can also help you with a piston and rings, either stock or bigger if you wish. You are looking at between $500-600 to have the head done and a new top-end kit.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #4558
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:

Thanks!
Sasha
I got my 05 525EXC in 2007 and have enjoyed it immensely for 18K kms now. I'll probably be buried with it!

That said, the 500 is the best dirtbike I have ever ridden, that you can licence it for the road is a bonus. I spent an hour on a 500 and fell in love with it. I race off-road and it was every bit as nimble as my 250 XCF-W (OK almost) in technical riding and it ripped on top like my 540 RFS did. I want one.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #4559
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Your left intake is about 1/2 turn away from looking like this. This valve had 2-1/4 turns left on the adjuster when we replaced it last year. Both valves looked pretty much the same. Don't wait too long! (It's not that difficult to replace them, if you have the skills and tools.)

yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #4560
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Yes.

Send the head to Dave Hopkins and have him do his thing. You'll never have to do it again. He can also help you with a piston and rings, either stock or bigger if you wish. You are looking at between $500-600 to have the head done and a new top-end kit.

Sean
That's $600 parts and labor plus shipping costs? that doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure you can have Dave rack you up a nice big bill if you want more, but for a basic top end kit with ss valves, I might be tempted here soon.
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote