Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #4561
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Whats a pristine 06 525 with 65 hours on it worth?

This bike has the 4 gal Safari tank, all black plastic with little sign of any wear on anything, handguards, bashplate, road legal without blinkers (legal in MT, Colorado etc) Nicely appointed and basically a virgin.

She has been babied and there is not a single thing wrong with it.
I have the "I wants a 500" bug and i am trying to determine what i should be able to get for this bike in Montana.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #4562
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb View Post
This bike has the 4 gal Safari tank, all black plastic with little sign of any wear on anything, handguards, bashplate, road legal without blinkers (legal in MT, Colorado etc) Nicely appointed and basically a virgin.

She has been babied and there is not a single thing wrong with it.
I have the "I wants a 500" bug and i am trying to determine what i should be able to get for this bike in Montana.

Thanks.
I recently bought an '07 XCW with 65 hrs on it for $3500, like new with a scotts, big tank and slidplate.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #4563
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thanks Chris, that is about where i was headed.

The 07 was a great year for that bike. Hows is she treating you?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4564
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,064
I picked up my 04 for $2500 with a tank and a scotts. You guys are scoring some good deals!

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #4565
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarthy_Red_Beard View Post
That's $600 parts and labor plus shipping costs? that doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure you can have Dave rack you up a nice big bill if you want more, but for a basic top end kit with ss valves, I might be tempted here soon.
Yes. About $400 will be the head. He will unshroud the intake valves for better breathing, do a multi-angle valve cut for the oversize valves and install a set of Kibblewhite stainless steel valves. Give or take if he needs to change the valve guides and seals. If you send him an older head (pre 03) he will also suggest the updates. The early heads have smaller ports which are actually better for a DS or Enduro bike. The newer (03+ or SX heads) ones flow better and make more top end power but sacrifice a bit of low.

If you contact him he will send you a spreadsheet with all the work he can do that includes his pricing. He can port your head, bore your carb, supply a hotter cam, align and weld your crank, big bore kits, etc...
I had him build me a balanced 540. It had a welded crank, the headwork, a 12.5:1 540 kit and a KTM 8/33 cam. It was docile on the bottom (as docile as a stock 525) and came alive in the mid and upper revs. Ran cooler than my stock 525 and needed leaner jetting so it used less fuel. With my 14/52 gearing it was good for better than 110mph on pavement yet wouldn't boil over in the tight stuff.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #4566
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Yes. About $400 will be the head. He will unshroud the intake valves for better breathing, do a multi-angle valve cut for the oversize valves
What's the scoop on the oversized valves. I've read mixed things. I thought I recently saw DJH saying they were only needed if you were going more power (larger bore, bigger cam etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Your left intake is about 1/2 turn away from looking like this .... Don't wait too long! (It's not that difficult to replace them, if you have the skills and tools.)
I'm not exactly sure what tools are needed but I'm pretty sure I don't have them I have enough to break the camchain and that's about it.

I'll still probably have DJH do mine but I'd be curious to read up on what is involved, I've never seen a good tutorial. Is there one?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #4567
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
What's the scoop on the oversized valves. I've read mixed things. I thought I recently saw DJH saying they were only needed if you were going more power (larger bore, bigger cam etc).
The whole RFS head is a compromise because it's used in the 400, 450 and 525 as well. The head couldn't have a bigger bore or else the compression ratio on the 400 and 450 would take a huge hit. The valves are as close together as was reasonable and if they were any bigger they would interfere with the cylinder wall. KTM could have made a head specifically for the bigger bore of the 525 but I imagine the bean counters had the final say. The head was designed to work properly for the 450 and that it does. On a 400 it is a bit of a handicap with the valves being on the big side. The cam on the 400 is specific to it and is designed to mask the shortcomings in the head. Anybody who has ridden a 400 will know it is one hell of a sweet motor down low to mid but loses punch early and falls off pretty fast. On a 525, the valves are too small and that shows in the awesome low to mid power but results in a lack of top-end. I say lack but it's not really; it's just that it doesn't really put out much more than the 450 at the top. All the 525 has over a 450 is a much broader power spread, not more peak power.

So all that to say that even on a stock 525, oversize valves will make a nice difference just by itself.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #4568
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So all that to say that even on a stock 525, oversize valves will make a nice difference just by itself.
Since I have a 450 and plan to keep it that way, I guess this answers my question also. No need to go oversize on the KW.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #4569
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
The whole RFS head is a compromise because it's used in the 400, 450 and 525 as well. The head couldn't have a bigger bore or else the compression ratio on the 400 and 450 would take a huge hit. The valves are as close together as was reasonable and if they were any bigger they would interfere with the cylinder wall. KTM could have made a head specifically for the bigger bore of the 525 but I imagine the bean counters had the final say. The head was designed to work properly for the 450 and that it does. On a 400 it is a bit of a handicap with the valves being on the big side. The cam on the 400 is specific to it and is designed to mask the shortcomings in the head. Anybody who has ridden a 400 will know it is one hell of a sweet motor down low to mid but loses punch early and falls off pretty fast. On a 525, the valves are too small and that shows in the awesome low to mid power but results in a lack of top-end. I say lack but it's not really; it's just that it doesn't really put out much more than the 450 at the top. All the 525 has over a 450 is a much broader power spread, not more peak power.

Sean

Nice explanation. I love it when a justification to spend more money on my bike sounds so reasonable!
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #4570
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
A better test is the #turns remaining on the adjustment screws.

I 'm at 210 hours on the stock valves and I have 2 3/4 turns of adjustment remaining on the left intake and almost 3 turns on the right intake adjuster. Usually you replace when you're under 1.5 turns of adjustment remaining.

So I just adjusted my valves again. I am a little unclear as to the "number of turns remaining." I wish I took a pic of mine, but the top of the adjustor screw is just barely above the lock nut. I am assuming that when the adjustor backed out all the way, there is a stopping point, and the number of turns to reach this point from full in is "the # of turns remaining?" I hope that all makes sense...

-Matt
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #4571
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

oh, and I have somewhere in the ballpark of around 250 hrs on the bike.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #4572
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarthy_Red_Beard View Post
So I just adjusted my valves again. I am a little unclear as to the "number of turns remaining." I wish I took a pic of mine, but the top of the adjustor screw is just barely above the lock nut. I am assuming that when the adjustor backed out all the way, there is a stopping point, and the number of turns to reach this point from full in is "the # of turns remaining?" I hope that all makes sense...

-Matt
Yes, above is correct. There is a stopping point (after which you cannot back out anymore) but wise to confirm
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #4573
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, above is correct. There is a stopping point (after which you cannot back out anymore) but wise to confirm
Cool, Good to know. I've been trying to figure out a nice trick like this to determine when to break down and live w/o my bike for a little while. Thanks for the good info guys.

-Matt
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #4574
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what tools are needed but I'm pretty sure I don't have them I have enough to break the camchain and that's about it.

I'll still probably have DJH do mine but I'd be curious to read up on what is involved, I've never seen a good tutorial. Is there one?
Sounds like you'd be wise to have DJH do it (If you have to ask what tools are needed, you don't know how to do the job. ) but to answer your question, the only other specialized tool you need is a valve spring compressor (about $30 from Sears). Oh, and a suction cup on a stick for lapping the new valves to the seats (lightly!) assuming the seats are in decent shape and don't need to be re-cut. If you want to do it technically 100% correct, you should have the seats cut professionally, but it's not completely necessary unless they are rounded over.

Otherwise, the rest of the tools are just standard bike wrenching stuff.

Sorry, I don't know a link to a good tutorial. Probably not something to attempt on one of these bikes unless you know what you're doing and what problems to look for.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #4575
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
If you have to ask what tools are needed, you don't know how to do the job. )
Did I say I knew how to do the job