Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #4756
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I set the valves using the 1/6 turn method. Before I did that, I could just get a 0.005" feeler gauge in there, so my tappets must be cupped. No change in the kickstarter feel after setting the valves. Should I try temporarily setting them to 0 clearance just to see if that makes any difference? Obviously I wouldn't run the engine that way.
Check the ADC shaft like Yondering suggested. If it's worn down too much, the ADC might not be working at all because of that. A new ADC is around $30 retail.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #4757
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Check the ADC shaft like Yondering suggested. If it's worn down too much, the ADC might not be working at all because of that. A new ADC is around $30 retail.

Sean
Thanks, I'll check it out. Can the ADC be replaced without removing the camshaft/breaking the chain?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #4758
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Thanks for all the advice, I adjusted the exhaust valves using the 1/6 turn method again and verified that I can see them bump during the compression cycle. I put it back together and I could kick it through as expected. Now I just need to get the jetting sorted out, but I won't open that can of worms here.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #4759
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, I adjusted the exhaust valves using the 1/6 turn method again and verified that I can see them bump during the compression cycle. I put it back together and I could kick it through as expected. Now I just need to get the jetting sorted out, but I won't open that can of worms here.
Good stuff.
Jetting is easy. JD jetting kit. Instructions come with it, can't go wrong.

Sean

Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #4760
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Good stuff.
Jetting is easy. JD jetting kit. Instructions come with it, can't go wrong.

Sean
Yeah, I installed the JD kit yesterday. I need to go up one size on the pilot, though.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #4761
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Yeah, I installed the JD kit yesterday. I need to go up one size on the pilot, though.
What is your bike exactly? Any engine mods? Stock carb?

Sean

Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #4762
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
What is your bike exactly? Any engine mods? Stock carb?

Sean
2006 525EXC. All stock as far as I can tell. The muffler could probably use a repacking, though. I was surprised that the stock 42 pilot seems too small. I had to go about 3.5 turns out on the fuel screw to get it to idle well and not bog when I whack the throttle. A little further out would be nice, but the screw will fall out. So, a 45 pilot jet it is.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #4763
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
2006 525EXC. All stock as far as I can tell. The muffler could probably use a repacking, though. I was surprised that the stock 42 pilot seems too small. I had to go about 3.5 turns out on the fuel screw to get it to idle well and not bog when I whack the throttle. A little further out would be nice, but the screw will fall out. So, a 45 pilot jet it is.
Yes, I'm running a 45 on my stock motor, 1000ft above sea level. JD blue needle in the middle clip, less than 2 turns out on the fuel screw. My muffler needs repacking but I don't notice a difference in performance really. The stock endcap is the choke. For a bit of a boost try an SX endcap, even the 250 has a bigger hole. If I'm going to be hauling on fire roads I take five minutes and swap out the stock endcap for the one from my 2007 250 XCF-W. Sounds better and doesn't backfire so much on deceleration.

If you go to a big bore like a 540 you will need that 42 pilot. The bigger displacement draws more vaccum through the stock carb. The bigger signal requires a leaner pilot.

Sean

Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #4764
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Yes, I'm running a 45 on my stock motor, 1000ft above sea level. JD blue needle in the middle clip, less than 2 turns out on the fuel screw. My muffler needs repacking but I don't notice a difference in performance really. The stock endcap is the choke. For a bit of a boost try an SX endcap, even the 250 has a bigger hole. If I'm going to be hauling on fire roads I take five minutes and swap out the stock endcap for the one from my 2007 250 XCF-W. Sounds better and doesn't backfire so much on deceleration.

If you go to a big bore like a 540 you will need that 42 pilot. The bigger displacement draws more vaccum through the stock carb. The bigger signal requires a leaner pilot.

Sean
I tried a 45, then 48 pilot jet. I'm at 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw to get a smooth idle. I'll have to buy a 50 pilot jet and try that, is it normal to need such a large pilot jet compared to stock? I'm at 150' above sea level and it's 70-80 degrees and humid here lately.

cjbiker screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 07:43 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #4765
todd83-900t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Is 13 T counter sprocket hard on drive train?

I just switched the gearing on my '05 450 EXC from 14:50 -> 13:50 and love how it behaves in those snotty little single track situations.

Question: Is running a 13 tooth counter sprocket hard on the sliders, chain etc?

I debating about switching to 14:52 if it will help everything last longer.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #4766
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd83-900t View Post
I just switched the gearing on my '05 450 EXC from 14:50 -> 13:50 and love how it behaves in those snotty little single track situations.

Question: Is running a 13 tooth counter sprocket hard on the sliders, chain etc?

I debating about switching to 14:52 if it will help everything last longer.
Some say yes, but I've run both and haven't seen a difference in chain or slider life. The sliders just wear out regardless.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #4767
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
I tried a 45, then 48 pilot jet. I'm at 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw to get a smooth idle. I'll have to buy a 50 pilot jet and try that, is it normal to need such a large pilot jet compared to stock? I'm at 150' above sea level and it's 70-80 degrees and humid here lately.
Needing a larger pilot jet is usually an indication of a worn bore & rings. Lower compression = lower vaccum signal = less fuel drawn in.

With a 525, you probably won't even notice the power loss. Are you losing oil yet? Mine started being a little low on oil at my 400 mile changes, even though there was no visible oil smoke. All due to a worn bore.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #4768
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Needing a larger pilot jet is usually an indication of a worn bore & rings. Lower compression = lower vaccum signal = less fuel drawn in.

With a 525, you probably won't even notice the power loss. Are you losing oil yet? Mine started being a little low on oil at my 400 mile changes, even though there was no visible oil smoke. All due to a worn bore.
I don't know, I haven't ridden it much yet, I'm working on getting it running well and street legal. It's got 100 hours and 2500 miles, so I doubt it needs top end work yet, but who knows
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #4769
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Well I run 1000-2500 ft above sea level so it would make sense that you would need a fatter main down at 150ft but I'm not sure just how big you would need. What does the JD instructions say?

Sean

Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #4770
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
i know i'm a few cc's under-bored but i just bought a '05 ktm 450 exc and i was wondering what the experts have to say about how my bike sounds...

i changed the oil, filters and checked the valves (in spec). it runs awesome but sounds like HELL. is this normal?

i'm specifically referring to the high pitched squeal when starting (and stopping sometimes) and the overall clatter.
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote