User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #61
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Rtw 525

Leesbian, you are ahead of me on this one. I am planning long distance travel on my new 525 EXC and feel that it will do just fine. My local dealer (Letko) says there is a guy in Colorado running rental units (450 & 525 he thinks, but mainly 450s) and some have 30,000 miles on them. ADVRider had a report last year of two guys that took off from Tulsa, OK riding back roads and trails all the way to the Pacific ocean in Oregon--over 3,000 miles (about 20 miles of hard surface), in a couple of weeks. They rode without difficulty on used 525s. They fixed flats, basically. They rode nearly stock bikes and had little mechanical expertise. (I remember them mentioning that they did get an oil change once.) When they arrived they decided to take the wheels off the bikes and stuff them in the back of a small rental van and drive home. Try that with a DS!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #62
The Cheat
Tard

Oddometer: 300
oil cooler

[quote=flux_capacitor]I have an HT oil cooler, brand new that is for sale. PM if you're interested.

You have mail! Hopefully you still have the cooler.
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #63
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
It might need regearing for more street friendly RPM's ??? & a fan wouldn't hurt
I'll get new front and rear sprockets and chain before I go... but I also plan on getting a different cam on the throttle adjuster (its a little bit all or nothing at the moment) - I guess with finer control over the throttle, my fuel consumption will be much better :)

AFAIK, the MXC already has a fan... I'll take a look tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moragabiker
You should be set after adding a 25L Gas Tank and a Steering Damper.
Noted. Thanks. Can anyone recommend a suitable steering damper? I guess a WP one, cos all the other suspension is WP... model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
I Dont Meen To Be An Ass...but, Round The World On A Xr400? Ouch Man. I Think You Should Try It, That Way , In The Future, We Know If It Can Be Done.
The XR400 was recommended to me by somebody that has done RTW twice on a DR350, so I trust that he knows what he's talking about. The 525 only came into it because I already have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Leesbian, you are ahead of me on this one. I am planning long distance travel on my new 525 EXC and feel that it will do just fine.
What modifications are you making? where are you going, and when?
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #64
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 381
The Scotts/Ohlins steering dampner is a good one (I have one) or the GPR V2 each with a sub mount.

The 6.6 gal Acerbis tank...cheap at $250 US. Change the gearing and add the cush drive rear wheel, ala 640 adv. $650 US.

Some type of radiator protection.

The Wolfman luggage is better than the rack and a hell of alot cheaper. I used the small explorer. $150 US

Windscreen......yes a must for that distance......Make it the rally fairing.

GPS....hardwired just to be safe. eBay $150 US.

Buy tires along the way. Tire balls maybe an option instead of numerous tubes and crap.

Thinking out loud here.......Hell if I could take 6 mo off I'd be with you on mine. Remember people always pack shit they don't need or ever use.

Wish Jim would chime in......
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #65
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuugti
The Scotts/Ohlins steering dampner is a good one (I have one) or the GPR V2 each with a sub mount.

The 6.6 gal Acerbis tank...cheap at $250 US. Change the gearing and add the cush drive rear wheel, ala 640 adv. $650 US.

Some type of radiator protection.

The Wolfman luggage is better than the rack and a hell of alot cheaper. I used the small explorer. $150 US

Windscreen......yes a must for that distance......Make it the rally fairing.

GPS....hardwired just to be safe. eBay $150 US.

Buy tires along the way. Tire balls maybe an option instead of numerous tubes and crap.

Thinking out loud here.......Hell if I could take 6 mo off I'd be with you on mine.
I'm displaying my mechanical ignorance here... wtf is a cush drive? If I'm gonna need a replacement, is a Talon a good choice? lighter, stronger rim, replaceable spokes etc...?

I was under the impression that the wolfman luggage would go ontop of the rack? the rack ensures that the weight goes to the frame, and not your rear fender, right?

Already have a GPS, just need to get a TT mounting for it

I already thought of tireballs ;) I was gonna take the kit with me and change to the tireballs once the good roads ran out - I read that they're not happy above about 50mph... besides, by then I'll probably be ready to stick some more knobbly tyres on too.

LOL, If you wanna come, you got plenty of time to prepare for 6 months off - my RTW trip probably wont start till around April next year ;)
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #66
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
the sub frame is a weak link on this bike. look into having one fab'ed. build pannier mounts as well, wether you use hard or soft bags. is there another way of adding oil capacity ? ala what other bikes use? ( xr crf style ) that wouldnt run as much?

the xr400 would be an idea RTW mount. as is a DR350. both tough as shit. simple, lots of parts, cheap, fast enough. as you are aware not a good idea pulling race speeds in a 3 rd world country. as you and another mentioned many over pack, so they need a land barge. that would kill alot of fun.

have you checked out horizonsunlimited.com ?

hhhmm, find a fab shop in poland, ( lower costs there right?) make up several sub frames that can handle more weight, sell 'em here, pay for your ale on the trip.

I'd need a friggin seat remake first, you're tougher then me if you can handle that stock wood plank.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #67
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
I have a Wolfman Mini Beta rear bag I have been using without a rack with zero issues. I think I posted pics of it already but if I didn't I will be glad to do so, just let me know. I also have the Wolfman Enduro tank bag...I never take it off. The Mini Beta hold my sleeping bag, one man tent, 3 changes of clothes, pillow, toiletries, cooking stuff, all with no problem. I ran into a guy on ktmtalk who fabbed me a bracket which mounts in the 2 holes that hold the exhaust onto the bike. This bracket keeps my bag and plastic off the pipe very well and only cost me a little money.

I have a Renazco seat being worked on this weekend so when it arrives I will post some pictures up for you. My bony butt could not last 15 minutes on the stocker.

A cush hub is a rubber dampenned wheel which would ease the stress on the drivetrain. Do a quick search, there is plenty of info on it. LC4 rear wheels are cush hub equipped and would fit, but are hard to find used at a decent price. Contact cmwoody with Woody's Wheel Works...he will make you one up. Also, I believe he was working on a billet cush hub for these bikes..not sure if that ever came to fruition or not.

Go with the Scotts damper as all the research I have been doing lately says it is the better one (I have no firsthand experience with this) as it has a high speed AND a low speed adjuster. As I understand it, Scotts owns the patent on this and all other dampers have only one setting.

Also, you are talking about wiring GPS into the bike...not sure of your other electrical plans but the stock stator cannot handle many additional items. To give you an idea: I have a Baja Designs kit installed, and I want heated grips and an 80/80 watt bulb. I am told I need at least a stator rewind. I am currently trying to determine exactly what needs to be done to get more power...I cannot seem to find a good straight answer on this. I am planning on calling Trail Tech Monday am to see what the experts have to say on the subject.

Oh yeah, I should mention that my oil cooler has been SOLD. Thanks!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #68
The Cheat
Tard

Why no cooler

Flux why did you decide to sell the oil cooler? Did you find a better one? Or did you decide your oil was cool enough? Maybe you are going to use the Joe Racer Oil Cooler?...........................Come man.......tell us....
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #69
The Cheat
Tard

Beta bag

Think you could post a pic of the bracket that you bought to support your bag?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #70
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

To be 100% honest with you...I was talking to my dealer, who I trust completely, about oil coolers. He is of the opinion that here on the East coast they are not needed. If you are on the West coast, or riding alot of sand where your throttle is pinned all day, then if would be an important addition. Also, my pavement is limited since I live 5 minutes from the National Forest. I have noticed that my bike burns a little oil on extended pavement runs, so if I had that to contend with I would have kept the cooler. I am NOT saying they are not worthwhile, but for me and my riding style I think that it is not worth the $400 price tag. For a lot of people, this is a worthwhile addition, just not for me. This is just my opinion (and his) and I have no facts to support this other than it makes logical sense to me. I change my oil every 500 miles, and am just about to do the 2nd valve adjustment...2500 miles on the bike in 6 months and no complaints. People make these bikes to be so much more destructible than they really are.

I will take some pics of the bracket set up later this afternoon...I gotta go de-algae the side of my house!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #71
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I I am told I need at least a stator rewind. I am currently trying to determine exactly what needs to be done to get more power...I cannot seem to find a good straight answer on this. I am planning on calling Trail Tech Monday am to see what the experts have to say on the subject.
Here's a "straight answer" for you to read before you call TrailTech:
http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_stator.htm

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #72
The Cheat
Tard

Scotty do you have more power

I am planning on installing two MR16 Trail Tech HID lights (30watt fog and 30 watt pencil beam) plus I have grip warmers. Can the stock charging system handle this? I want to be able to run both lights and have the grip heaters going. I think the bike has 90 watts stock but I am not sure. It is a 2006 KTM EXC 450. So what do you fellers think?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #73
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #74
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
Here's a "straight answer" for you to read before you call TrailTech:
http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_stator.htm

Thanks John! I owe you a brew for sure. I have thought about rewinding the thing myself but it makes me nervous. Still, I may give it a go.

As for running HID's on the stock system, my understanding is that no it will not work. I could be wrong though, no doubt.

I assume everyone here knows about ktmtalk.com right?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #75
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a Wolfman Mini Beta rear bag I have been using without a rack with zero issues. I think I posted pics of it already but if I didn't I will be glad to do so, just let me know. I also have the Wolfman Enduro tank bag...I never take it off. The Mini Beta hold my sleeping bag, one man tent, 3 changes of clothes, pillow, toiletries, cooking stuff, all with no problem. I ran into a guy on ktmtalk who fabbed me a bracket which mounts in the 2 holes that hold the exhaust onto the bike. This bracket keeps my bag and plastic off the pipe very well and only cost me a little money.
I'll do a bit of investigation into luggage this week - wolfman and dirt bagz are top of the list. Is the rack necessary?

Other than the mini beta, do you use any hanging panniers? I guess if you can carry everything you've listed in that 1 bag then other bags will be a bit of overkill... planning on taking similar kit, probably also with a pack om my back with camera, camelbak, waterproofs etc. If you could post a picture that would be great.

Quote:
I have a Renazco seat being worked on this weekend so when it arrives I will post some pictures up for you. My bony butt could not last 15 minutes on the stocker.
That would also be great, although I think I'm gonna order mine tomorrow anyway. What design did you go for? I'm thinking all black suede with orange stitching

Quote:
A cush hub is a rubber dampenned wheel which would ease the stress on the drivetrain. Do a quick search, there is plenty of info on it. LC4 rear wheels are cush hub equipped and would fit, but are hard to find used at a decent price. Contact cmwoody with Woody's Wheel Works...he will make you one up. Also, I believe he was working on a billet cush hub for these bikes..not sure if that ever came to fruition or not.
Unfortunately, I'm not in the States - shipping something heavy like a wheel is far too expensive. If a LC4 rear will do what I want, I'll try and source one... never know, being in Europe, where KTM are, maybe I'll get one direct from them for a reasonable price...

Quote:
Go with the Scotts damper as all the research I have been doing lately says it is the better one (I have no firsthand experience with this) as it has a high speed AND a low speed adjuster. As I understand it, Scotts owns the patent on this and all other dampers have only one setting.
OK, I'll look into this too...

Quote:
Also, you are talking about wiring GPS into the bike...not sure of your other electrical plans but the stock stator cannot handle many additional items. To give you an idea: I have a Baja Designs kit installed, and I want heated grips and an 80/80 watt bulb. I am told I need at least a stator rewind.
I hadn't considered this, so thanks for bringing it up! yeah... GPS will be wired in, I want to get some heated grips too (they're SO useful on the BMW...), and I guess I want to try and get something arranged so I can recharge camera batteries on the move too. I saw on another thread there were aftermarket stators kicking out 185 watts, so I may just go for one of those...

Shopping list is growing... looks like I need about $2000 in parts!

When it all arrives I'm only going to have about a week to put it all together too!
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto